• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing 50BMG primer crimp

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    What are my options for a relatively cheap hand tool? I've been looking at the L.E. Wilson one for like $45. Any others I'm overlooking?

Re: Removing 50BMG primer crimp

I bet you could take a Lyman VLD chamfer tool and CAREFULLY grind down the tip until, when the new flat on the tip bottoms out in the pocket, the tapered sided reamer would just remove the crimp. Ought to be cheap enough.

I actually used a Lyman deburring/chamfering tool to do some brass that was staked in 3 places. I'm planning on ordering some once-fired Lake City and that looks like a lot bigger crimp.

I knock the primer out with a long punch and use my mouth chamfer tool that I use on my standard size (.22-.308 ) cases to remove the primer crimp . Seems to work just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any old counter sink will work. </div></div>
    X2

I use the regular Lyman 50 bmg deburring tool, works great. I've tried a couple of countersinks, but they chatter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the regular Lyman 50 bmg deburring tool, works great. I've tried a couple of countersinks, but they chatter. </div></div>

I chuck'em in my small bench top drill press and run it as fast as it'll go.
    I get a spray of dust for a split second and their done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any old counter sink will work. </div></div>
    X2 </div></div>

X3! I have been using a counter sink for at least a couple of decades to remove the primer crimp from all of the military brass that I load.

You could use a regular countersink like everyone else has said. I have a remover on my press but rarely use it. I have a pretty nice multi tool from CH4D that works REAL nice. Don't go to far you need the brass there to keep that primer in place so you don't start flame cutting your bolt. That is why I hand turn my primer pocket uniformer.