• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing a pinned recoil lug?

Hunt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
Tennessee
Is it possible to remove a pinned recoil lug without damaging the action? I have the tombstone type lug and would like to replace it with the original Remington shaped lug during a new barrel install. The tomb-shaped lug is too wide and some stocks need to be milled for fitting. I'd rather it drop right in.

Is it possible to remove a pinned recoil lug without damaging the action? I have the tombstone type lug and would like to replace it with the original Remington shaped lug during a new barrel install. The tomb-shaped lug is too wide and some stocks need to be milled for fitting. I'd rather it drop right in.
Should be. The pin is just a small dowel that should freely slide through both to keep it clocked correctly in its rotation. It shouldn’t be welded or anything.

Half the time they fall right off when the action is removed from the barrel.

If you already have a stock that is bedded you might want to make sure your new recoil lug will fit into the old bedding area without interference.

I will most likely go to a system that needs no bedding. On that note, I don't want to have to mill out a new stock/chassis for the current tombstone lug (.285" thick).

All the pins do is index the lug. You could also mill there lug to standard size and still have it index.

All of my pinned lugs, all are double pinned by the way, just slip off. It’s not a resistance fit by any means.
Removing the pins is another matter, as they are a resistance fit in my actions by .001” minimum.
You will need a slide hammer if this is the case.

Cheers.

Reactions: RTH1800