• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing a stuck breach plug on a T/C ?

Blackstone

Malefactors Nightmare
Minuteman
May 13, 2004
Rock City, Land of Lincoln
The breach plug is STUCK on a T/C black powder Pro Hunter.
Some suggest hot water and soap(?) poured in the bore and left to sit until the black powder is dissolved on the breach plug threads.
What do YOU add to the hot water?
How long must it sit?
How do you plug the primer hole to keep the mixture in the barrel?
Any other bright ideas to get the plug out?
Best ant-seize grease to keep this from EVER happening again?

Re: Removing a stuck breach plug on a T/C ?

I would use a good penetrant like Kroil and let it soak at least 24 hrs.

If you clean the breach good the same day it is fired and use anti-seize grease you should never have a problem removing the breach.

I had the same thing happen to my CVA buckhorn mag inline. It was my own dumbass fault, forgot to use anti-seize and left it loaded (with no primer of course) over the winter. Breech plug was in there solid. I ended up firing the load out, then soaked the barrel with PB blaster and let it sit for a week. Still no dice. Broke the breech plug with the removal tool. So I was good and screwed then. Ended up finding a piece of round steel stock that fit inside the back of the receiver. I then very, very carefully MIG welded the steel to the breech plug through the action opening. I used a grinder and ground a slot on the other end of the round bar (the part now hanging out of the receiver)that I could fit a wrench on. I clamped the barreled receiver in a vise with barrel blocks, then unscrewed the whole breech plug/welded steel rod assembly. It took some swearing and grunting, but I was able to salvage the gun. Bought a new plug at bass pro, cleaned up all the welding spatter with a dremel, and I was good to go. You can be sure from now on that I dont forget the lube, and dont leave a load in over the winter. This is kind of an extreme fix, but there was no other way that I could get it out. Hope this helps.

I was told to use Ballistol and boiling water to loosen mine up when it was stuck once. I put a spent primer in the plug and then poured the mixture down the barrel of my encore. It worked great at dissolving the powder residue, and the plug came right out. I think I let it sit in there for a couple hours. Since then I have been using permatex copper anti-seize on the plug and have not had any problems getting it out over the last 5yrs or so. Good luck!

Chad Dixon repeated a recommendation I had read...the best penetrating solvent is half acetone and half ATF. No flames allowed. Plug it and pour in a tablespoon or so and let it sit. The use of a heat gun or hair dryer may help also. That copper anti-seize is the best IMHO.

After you get it out, two complete wraps on the threads, tightly wound, with teflon thread tape will prevent it happening again. Grease is too much of a damn mess when you clean the rifle. Teflon tape is just stupid easy.

No need to torque it in there either...just snug it down "bottomed out" and you're GTG.

Three customers brought theirs in 2 days before season.
This was the solution

one took a better fitting wrench and a lot of bad words
one was old bottle of CLP the new stuff just isn't the same.
Plugged the bore and oiled it from the receiver side.
The last i had to machine out.

I wish anyone working on black powder the best of luck.

Soak it with Kroil/acetone. Try putting it in the freezer for a day or 2. Use a real socket and not the T/C tool. A few taps with a hammer may help loosen things up too.