• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing removing accur glas from rifle steel

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    I am looking at a used rifle and it appears the previous owner applied some type of clear bedding compound when mounting the scope base on the receiver. The base was removed but the compound is still present.

What is the best way to remove this?

Re: removing accur glas from rifle steel

try acetone on the bottom of the base and test that first(if theres any residual on the base (and you have the base))

You might give it a good soaking with Kroil, that stuff seems to migrate like an illegal alien. Have heard stories of it destroying bedding compounds,so it may work. Another alternative is a heat gun. Best of luck!

I use a hair drier on high to heat the metal just enough to pop the glass off.

I had some jbweld stick to an action in the same place and used acetone and a wooden mixing stick to get it off. It was a blue CM action FWIW.

If it is epoxy, play a tiny flame from your propane torch directly on it for a few seconds and rub with 0000 steel wool. Repeat a few times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a hair drier on high to heat the metal just enough to pop the glass off. </div></div>

+1 that works the best and it wont take long.

My suggestion is to put it in the deep freeze for about 48 hours. Then see if you can just tap it off. If that doesn't work you can still try to use the heat gun.

BUT if they were needed to get the scope bases secured you might need them for the bases you put on. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What is the best way to remove this? </div></div>

Buy some epoxy remover from home depot.

Wipe the remover on... and a few minutes later, you can wipe the epoxy or devcon or marinetex off with a paper towell. No harm to your blued or SS finish.

BUT... I would not put it on any of the paint-on or bake-on coatings.

Well, whatever this stuff was it was not very hard to get off. I used some CLP and a brass brush and noticed that some of it was flaking off. A very light scraping with a flat sided brass punch I made a few years ago took off the rest in short order.

But I would like to say thanks for all the helpful suggestions.