• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Removing Bushmaster free-float tube

razzle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2007
Norway
Can someone tell me how to remove the free float tube handguard on a Bushmaster V Match? The gasblock I have figured out, but having some trouble with the rest..

Re: Removing Bushmaster free-float tube

I don't have a bushmaster, but I do know that some free float tubes just screw on and off. Try giving it a turn to see if it comes loose.

They are just on there tight and I have seen a couple of instances where loc-tite was used as well. I would just get a strap wrench from Auto-Zone or Lowes - the kind normally used to remove oil filters - and use it. I have done it in the past on the very setup you are working on with success.

-edit-

Just noticed that you're in Norway, so whatever hardware/tool store you have should have them. The rubber strap won't mar your aluminum forearm either. Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys, I will swing by the hardware store tomorrow and have a look.

can you use the strap wrnech to remove the barrel nut too? Or would it damage the threads

You need an AR multi tool or free float tube wrench to remove the barrel nut correctly and to not damage it. You could probably do it with a strap wrench ,but if you are going to be working on your own AR's you should at least have a multi-tool. The DPMS ones are like $30 and well worth it.

Bought a strap wrench and gave it a try, but that f*cker is on tight. Feels like they have superglued it together. Have tried wiggling in both directions, but it doesn't move at all..

EDIT - Got it off finally! Took one last shot at it, almost broke the bench top in half in the process
laugh.gif

Turns out they had filled the whole 1" lip with Loctite, I wonder why as it's tight enough without.
Thanks for the advice everyone, now I just gotta wait for the mailman before I can install the new barrel and handguard
smile.gif

when loc tite is used make sure to use a heat gun to breakdown the loc tite next time this happens. This will make life much easier.

kn

I own the Bushmaster Stainless Varmint Special. It has their Free Float Tube on it. I have tried every thing to have it spin off. (Every thing short of spinning off the barrel nut and removing the barrel entirely) I finally just gave up and built another upper, and left that one stock.