• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing Release Agent After Bedding???

Crazy1323

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Can you guys please tell me what you have used to remove the release agent after bedding a rifle?

I bedded my recoil lug with Devcon and Kiwi shoe polish. It turned out great, but what can I use to remove the shoe polish from the rifle? I tried non-chlorinated brake cleaner and that didn't do much.

Thanks a lot guys,

Paul

I've used Acetone on metal parts before - removed Meguiars mold release wax no problems. Could always buy/try/use 'wax & grease remover' like you'd find at an auto/paint shop.

Shoe polish rubs right odd with acetone. Might come off with mineral spirits as well, if you are dealing with duracoat and don't want to mar the finish.

Mineral spirits, or other types of solvents that contain hydrocarbons. I use johnsons paste wax and mineral spirits. Acetone is a polarized solvent, you need nonpolarized for wax type stuff. Look on woodworking forums for other ideas they deal with that more.

Mineral spirits, or other types of solvents that contain hydrocarbons. I use johnsons paste wax and mineral spirits. Acetone is a polarized solvent, you need nonpolarized for wax type stuff. Look on woodworking forums for other ideas they deal with that more.

Wax is a form of fat. Acetone is a ketone, which is basically a water soluble fat. Like dissolves like, therefore acetone should work. But forget the theories here, because acetone does indeed clean off shoe polish very easily.

Sometimes I use Johnson's paste wax, more often I use Slide mold release, an aerosol product. Seems like plain old rubbing alcohol on a paper towel gets most of it off. I use lighter fluid to get the gooey adhesive residue off the recoil lug, since I use electrical tape on the sides, bottom, & front of the lug before bedding.