• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Removing stuck brass from an AR

ZenBiker990

Control/Alt/Delete
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
United States
First shot down a new build 6.8 SPC, failure to cycle (adjustable gas block), rifle now jammed closed. Can't eject with charging handle, can't tap out with cleaning rod. Going to try dry ice. Any other help/ideas appreiated. This build has been a PITA from the get-go.

Re: Removing stuck brass from an AR

Hold the charging handle and slam the butt into the ground. Tapping the case with a cleaning rod won't do anything; the locking lugs are still engaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the charging handle and slam the butt into the ground. Tapping the case with a cleaning rod won't do anything; the locking lugs are still engaged. </div></div>

+1 if its fully forward you gotta start by moving the carrier.

If the rim's torn off or bolt's out of battery you could tap it out, really shouldn't need to unless the rim is gone though.

Then figure out why. It ain't the adj block. Should be able to turn it entirely off and manually cycle with ease.

Yep, the adjustable gas block is not the culprit. Something else going on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the charging handle and slam the butt into the ground. Tapping the case with a cleaning rod won't do anything; the locking lugs are still engaged. </div></div>

I wouldn't recommend this, here's why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpbyUqhBUGw

If you do this be sure to fully collapse the buttstock (if so equipped) prior to mortaring the rifle.

A buddy of mine had a failure to eject on a 223. Had dismantle, apply heat to the barrel before case could be tapped out using a rod. Once heated, it tapped out very easily.

carefully put a cleaning rod down the barrel without damaging the crown while someone else pulls on charging handle and it should come out.

I've had to apply more than a "tap" to get mine free a few times. It took a vise, sturdy rod and sizeable hammer with generous force. I no longer use sketchy ammo. Like mentioned above be sure the bolt is in fact not in battery

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0V3RC10CK3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the charging handle and slam the butt into the ground. Tapping the case with a cleaning rod won't do anything; the locking lugs are still engaged. </div></div>

</div></div>

It works fine. Never broke a stock yet or a finger and if you need to fix it in real life you won't want to take time to be gentle with your gun. Shit can happen but it is still a good clearing drill and its been taught to a whole lot of people.
pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0V3RC10CK3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the charging handle and slam the butt into the ground. Tapping the case with a cleaning rod won't do anything; the locking lugs are still engaged. </div></div>

</div></div>

It works fine. Never broke a stock yet or a finger and if you need to fix it in real life you won't want to take time to be gentle with your gun. Shit can happen but it is still a good clearing drill and its been taught to a whole lot of people.
pat</div></div>

I've used it with a CTR on multiple occasions without failure. I also don't have my hand on the buttstock, though, so if it does fail, I won't end up with a gun stuck on my hand like that guy. It's quick, easy, and effective as long as you don't mind banging around your gun. I guess this is the "shooter" method.

The "gunsmith" method would be to pull the upper off, put it in a vise, and find some way to pull the BCG outwards. A lot more work and the same result.

I have recently had this problem on a new POF 308. I turned the gun upside down with empty mag well up with gun secured by someone else, taking a long big headed flat head screw diver secured against the bolt. Then a firm lever type action pushing the bolt back. worked every time for me and did not scar the bolt.
yes the round was live and have had with shot round as well.

Just be careful not to mar the receiver if you use that method. Aluminum is soft. Even high grade anodized aluminum.

The key point here is to move the bolt carrier back. That's what will allow the bolt to unlock, and allow you to pull the casing out of the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0V3RC10CK3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also pull the upper off and stick a flathead screwdriver between the bolt carrier and the wall and twist. Should be fine. </div></div>

Yeah, only works if the BCG is still forward enough to clear the lower. Or can you take both pins off and slide the upper forward, slipping a partially-rearward carrier forward out of the buffer tube?

Anyway, that whole lockup and BCG thing is why I believe the AR is obsolete with that, and a very few other and less minor, design defects. When it gets locked up, it just takes way too much to clear up the problems. One of my favorites is a double-feet with a live round wedged up between the bottom of the charging handle and the top of the gas tube, and that cartridge also being wedged onto the bolt.

I had some issues with some brass in my ar10 that would lock it up real good. It would take 2 people to get the brass ejected. one person pushing down with both hands on charging handle, and the other hitting butt down on something solid at same time.

I had this problem recently and cleared it by tapping the charging handle w/a soft face mallet.

I had this happen a few times. First, on my 5.56. After the round was fired on the rim of the casing chipped "steel casing" hinse the BC slipped off. I used a cleaning rod and the case fell out.
On the other hand I had a 308 round get stuck. No hope so I eventually sprayed CLP down the barrel and let it sit overnite with the barrel facing up. The next day I did the "MORTAR" technique and it came out.

Got it. Dry Ice down the barrel to fill the empty case; tamp with a cleaning rod. Sit for 10 minutes, put a wood dowel on the charging handle (latch side of course), a few light taps with a dead blow hammer and it slid right open.

Now to run down why it jammed. Brand new Wilson barrel first shot; I don't blame the adjustable gas block, didn't mean to leave that impression. Looking at the barrel, the chamber seemed dark and non reflective. Swabbed it with acetone on a swab wrapped around a brush and now it's shiny as a new dime.
Will try again later today.

I strongly suggest that the first step be to check chambering with a fully-sized dummy round.

If you insist on examining the factory rounds, pull the bullet in your favorite chosen manner, dump the powder, resize 1/2-1/3 down the neck decap if sizing didn't do it already, and reseat the bullet.

Either way, smoke or otherwise treat the case so you can inspect for skid marks if it wants to stick even the tiniest bit. I happen to like Sharpie markers, even though they are a tad more tedious than brushing on Prussian Blue or whatever machinists use these days.

I hear you gunny. I checked the chamber with gauges, it's good. Test fire after cleaning the chamber was much better; still need to open gas block up a little, did not lock back on empty mag, believe it's short stroking just a hair. Will take a little more setup, but I"ve got other irons in the fire, so to speak.

I've had that happen to me several times. Trying to clear that malfunction is why I nolonger use the ambi plate sling mount (the fixed kind) on any of my ar's. For that malfunction I hook charging handle on imoveable object and shove hard. Luckily haven't wrecked a chrging handle. I cary a spare jic though.