• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing the External JP nut from an AR-15 Vtac rail

Jaytrigger

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
Fort Gordon GA
How do you remove this? I have taken the internal nut off but this one is STUCK. I have heated off and burnt the Red locktite they use on it off.
I cant seem to find a good way to knock this thing loose at all......

I have one on my bench that has been stuck for years. This is why I will never buy another JP handguard.

Propane torch (or a HD heat gun) and a strap wrench should do the trick. The @#$%ing loc-tite that JP uses is WAY OVERKILL for a damned handguard system, but with sufficient heat (~500 degrees F), it'll bake off (it'll smoke so don't worry if that happens) to a white powdery residue and the nut should spin off with a strap wrench without too much effort. If it still won't budge after you are SURE you have all the damned loctite off of it, give it a 24hr soak in your preferred penetrating oil and see if she'll go then.

So yeah..... strap wrench is not working on this.......

Hmmm...well, there's always an Acetylene torch...that'll get it for SURE!! ;)

No idea on what's up. After a thorough heat-gunning/torching to smoke off/break down the loctite AND a long soak in Kroil...it should have spun off for you. This is just one of many reasons that people stay clear of the JP/VTAC handguards and opt for other, similar offerings with better mounting systems that don't require a metric $#!T ton of high-temp/strength loctite to keep everything locked up solid. Major PITA!