• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Renting a Rifle

Ppierceall

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2017
I have a friend who wants to rent my rifle for a competition, I won't be at the competition due to work. Have you ever done this before and how much would you or did you charge? One day competition.

What ever you charge he is going to get it out of the rifle. Have you ever heard the expression "beat like a rented mule." Is he going to deposit an amount equal to the value of the rifle in case it is damaged or stolen?

That's what I thought. I just needed a second opinion. Thank you all

Just me I’d borrow it out before renting, but agree, pretty short list of people, if any. I’m not sure I got any friends who would ask

Now that I think about it, unless you have a ffl it might not even be lawful to rent a rifle out. If it was lawful you would still be liable for anything that happened. Suppose there is an AD and someone gets shot with your rifle, prepare to have your net worth reset to zero.

Now that I think about it, unless you have a ffl it might not even be lawful to rent a rifle out. If it was lawful you would still be liable for anything that happened. Suppose there is an AD and someone gets shot with your rifle, prepare to have your net worth reset to zero.

AND you MODIFIED this dangerous SNIPER rifle and LIGHTENED the trigger from factory settings and on and on and on!

I don't loan guns or my Harley.

At least talk with an attorney before proceeding to see what liabilities you may have. As I recall exchanging money as opposed to just loaning something changes things and put some more responsibility on you. You’re not a jerk for saying no.

Short true story: When I worked for GM a union official borrowed a car (1986 Turbo Grand National) from another union official because he had a lot of family members coming to town and need a car for a few days. Of course they agreed there would be no drinking and hot rodding etc. The guy went out got stinking drunk ran the hell out of the car jumped a curb, hit a church killing himself and his buddy, his buddies girlfriend barely survived. Long story short the dead buddy’s insurance company came after him even though the deceased family wanted no part of it. The insurance company wanted to mitigate some of their loss and did! $100K, they claimed he had put a “chip” in the car making it even more powerful as part of their claim.

Reactions: diverdon
There is no way in hell I'd loan or rent my rifle out to basically anyone except my brother and father.

Most people wouldn't even know how much money they were holding in their hands. Most people also wouldn't be able to pay for it if they managed to royally fucking something up.

No thanks.

In the final analysis, if this guy could replace your rifle if he lost it then he should use that money to buy one. If he cannot replace your rifle than basically you are asking if you should give him a rifle.

How good of a friend is he? He is experienced in shooting PRS or precision rifles?

I would let a good friend of mine use my gun if he knew what he was doing. I mean every time I go to the range I’m whoring it out on people.

If a guy is a good enough friend for me to lend him a rifle at all. I’m definitely not going to charge him. That how I treat my friends

I have a friend who wants to rent my rifle for a competition, I won't be at the competition due to work.

FUCK.........NO

I have a hard enough time asking my neighbor of 15 years to borrow something like a garden tool, I wouldn't even be able to work up the nerve to ask someone else to loan me a firearm.

Food for thought....

Frank loaned out a gun to a guy at the 14’ Hide cup. He was a member here, I don’t think they met before that day.

I was an RO and Mile High Shooting was loaning out $1700 Tactical binoculars to RO’s....

I would loan out mine to someone I knew, or even a known hide member. No lawyer needed.

Nope, never gonna happen. It would be different if I were going to be present.

Aside from the liability and legalities, NO ONE is gonna care for my stuff like I do.

Food for thought....

Frank loaned out a gun to a guy at the 14’ Hide cup. He was a member here, I don’t think they met before that day.

I was an RO and Mile High Shooting was loaning out $1700 Tactical binoculars to RO’s....

I would loan out mine to someone I knew, or even a known hide member. No lawyer needed.

That is nice of Frank to have done that. Still many people who do firearms instruction for a living have insurance that cover them should something happen with a firearm they lent out. Most of us would be hoping that our homeowners policy covered us. In some cases it might, but how much liabilty do I have there and what will my rates become if I have to use it for something like this.

I do not know what insurance Frank has.

Yeah idk about that. The list of ppl I'd trust with my rifle is pretty short, like only me lol jk. There's a few ppl I'd trust. But if I trusted them enough I wouldn't charge them. I'm not sure any of my friends would ever ask that though.

No one can be harder on my shit than I am which leaves me with a different point of view. A friend of mine thought he’d like to try his hand at shooting 3 gun, but didn’t have a suitable shotgun. I let him use a shotgun and a bag of holsters and loaders. He lives 9 hours away, he picked them up in June. You obviously don’t trust the other party If you’re asking, probably a no go in your situation. I’d be a little more hesitant to loan out a gun with my handloads, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Bender
I wouldn't have a problem loaning a rifle to a friend but at the same time I can count my friends on one hand. I couldn't charge someone like that for using it though.

yea depends on the "friend"

ive got about 15-20 buddies who i know, KNOW their way around a rifle...id have no issues lending them a custom or my AI for a match...we share scopes, actions, chassis, etc all the time anyways

myself and others have offered up fully equipped AIs for new shooters as loaner rifles at club matches, as well...but we are actually at those matches so slightly different

like others said...if its not a good enough friend, that id lend it for free...i wouldnt do it for money either

I ended up telling him no more for safety reasons and I would not be there if anything did happen. Appreciate the advice

Reactions: diverdon
Yeah, he might pick it up by the scope...

I had a similar situation. My son wanted to do a competition with me and I was willing to just let him use mine but I have a friend that has a few (8) haha
guns. So I asked If I or my son could borrow a gun for the one day shoot. He allowed us to borrow one and use it for the competition and my son thoroughly enjoyed the day!!! We now have bought a rifle for my son and we are enjoying shooting together. This is just my experience.