• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Repainting stock, prep question

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys,
I just purchased a used rifle and it is need of a paint job, it appears that it is on it's third coat of paint including the factory color. The topcoat was Krylon or something similar because it came off with stripper, the tan is a better paint and it is still holding on pretty well.
My problem is that there are some small chips and areas that got stripped below the factory coat of paint. I want to use a thin type of filler but am not sure what to use, or more to the point, what not to use.
I will check at the local paint stores tomorrow, but you know how it is, it can be hard to find someone with first hand experience working the counter.
Give me your thoughts.
Edit to add, at this point I am thinking about Duracoating it.
SScott
017.jpg

Re: Repainting stock, prep question

Two part slow cure epoxy with phenolic microspheres or baking soda mixed in. Mix it up to a peanut butter consistency and use a flexible spreader to make a thin coat. Sands well and fills every void. Marine supply stores carry good composites.