• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Repetitive pattern on target

Carlos Danger

Keeper of useless information
Minuteman
  • Jan 29, 2019
    Hoping for some insight and maybe someone experiencing the same. I've noticed this pattern on various targets during our club 250 yard shoots. Happened again last night.

I typically see nice tight groups during sight in / practice. I typically arrive with a clean bore and shoot 10 sighters / foulers. My pattern is as follows:

1. Lower right corner is the sighter target. Unlimited sighters in 5 minute time.
    2. (5) shots each target in a clockwise fashion from lower left corner.
    3. Match time is 30 minutes.

I seem to keep seeing this cycle with great sighter groups. We stop for a couple minutes to set up the timed portion of the match. My first record target then opens up with subsequent targets settling down. In this picture, don't count the 4th and 5th targets for this discussion. I accidentally ran out of my primary load and had to use another to finish (newb error).

Again, this group opening after sight in and then closing seems to be something I see regularly during this event. Hoping someone has some advice, or experienced similar. Thanks in advance.

20200602_065830[1].jpg

Info:

250 yards benchrest
    RPR 6mm Creedmoor
    Bartlein Barrel
    Viper PST with level
    Atlas Bipod rest on 1" semi rigid foam
    Rear bag
    115g DTAC's seated to -.020" off lands
    38.0g H4350
    Starline Brass (Annealed each firing, full length sized)

It's probably nothing more than first target jitters and later target fatigue. Take each shot with adherence to the fundamentals. Check position as the match progresses.

Concentration is a mother... In my days competing in service rifle matches the difference between focus and consistency, and thinking about other items such as your data book or how other shooters are doing had a tremendous effect on scores.

A suggestion, after the next match, don't clean the barrel and go back out another day and shoot 10 sighters. Should identify the issue as either shooter or rifle.

A suggestion, after the next match, don't clean the barrel and go back out another day and shoot 10 sighters. Should identify the issue as either shooter or rifle.
    Considered that as well. I typically arrive with a lightly cleaned barrel. I hope it doesnt have a 10 round "good shoot clean only" problem.

You have to ask yourself why would my sighters on and my first target off? If the "clean barrel" is the cause then why are the sighters on?

Statistically speaking your sighter target looks to be 50% in the 10 ring and 50% in the 9 ring.
    Your match targets looks like you got 9 in the 10 ring, 5 in the 9 ring and a flier.

9 in the 10 ring is 60%
    am I wrong?

Statistically speaking your sighter target looks to be 50% in the 10 ring and 50% in the 9 ring.
    Your match targets looks like you got 9 in the 10 ring, 5 in the 9 ring and a flier.

9 in the 10 ring is 60%
    am I wrong?
    I believe that's correct. I use my sighter to see where I'm grouping so I can adjust when record targets count. I guess 60% isnt the percentage I'm looking for, which was most affected by the first record target.