• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replacement bolt help?

dave300

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Looking to order a new bolt from PT&G for the LRI group buy build going on as I want to use my exisiting Rem donor action. I am new to this and have worked my way thru most all the questions I had regarding the new bolt.
    How do I get to the correct OD on the bolt in that I was told that it may be beneficial to up size by a thousandth or two. Of course I can measure the existing bolt, but I was told that the action would have to be un barreled in order to take the appropriate measurment to confirm or not that upsizing is even able to be accomplished. Action of course is currently barreled.
    Does anyone have ceracoated bolts? How does the ceracoating hold up? Or is there better bolt coatings?
    The current bolt wont work as it is for a 30-06 and I am building a 300 WM, Chad of LRI told me its better in the end to just have PTG build a new bolt.
    Thank you, Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407280839.046557.jpg
    I cannot help with the size of the bolt but these three are cerakoted. The center bolt has close to 1000 rounds the other two have around 400. They do show some wear with use but is my preferred coating. Strange that the bolt with the most use is showing the least amount of wear.

Thank you Mattk, appreciate you taking the time to post the pics/your experience. Still looking for that answer on the OD anyone?
    Dave

I was in the same boat you were and ultimately decided going with the .6995 so there would be adequate clearance. I also went with the smaller firing pin hole and couldn't be happier with the way it turned out

I want .007 clearence between the action and the bolt. When I apply cerakote it leaves me with .0015 clearence on each side, works good for me. I order a .697 and ream raceway to .704

Casey

Thanks, the firing pin assembly I have currently, (the stock one) is .073 and that looks as if Ill use the standard firing pin hole which PT&G has listed at .078.

Thanks bud, you were a great help. Dave

I was in the same boat you were and ultimately decided going with the .6995 so there would be adequate clearance. I also went with the smaller firing pin hole and couldn't be happier with the way it turned out

We often get old Rem 700 actions in and people want to upgrade the bolt to take the "slop" out of the action. We then order PTG replacement bolts and order them in .700 OD. They fit tighter and operate perfectly, but not without some TLC. With tighter tolerances, you'll end up with a few spots on the bolt that not rub on the inside of the receiver when cycling the bolt. These spots need to be lapped with lapping compound. Another note to be careful of is that the new bolts we get are shorter between the back of the lugs and the front of the bolt handle. This isn't an issue since we recut the lug abutments when we square up the face of the receiver. We then lap the new bolt into the newly cut lug abutments. For the smoothest operation of the bolt and utmost accuracy, both lugs should be smooth and in full contact with the corresponding lug recesses.

In the end, it is often times not as simple as ordering a new bolt for a rifle and have it plug and play. You may to do a little extra work or you might need a precision gunsmith.

Buck
    C&H Precision Weapons

thanks Buck, I've been muddling my way thru this build stuff and it has been tough to say the least. I am wanting to get this build done thru Chad of LRI during his group buy.
    We often get old Rem 700 actions in and people want to upgrade the bolt to take the "slop" out of the action. We then order PTG replacement bolts and order them in .700 OD. They fit tighter and operate perfectly, but not without some TLC. With tighter tolerances, you'll end up with a few spots on the bolt that not rub on the inside of the receiver when cycling the bolt. These spots need to be lapped with lapping compound. Another note to be careful of is that the new bolts we get are shorter between the back of the lugs and the front of the bolt handle. This isn't an issue since we recut the lug abutments when we square up the face of the receiver. We then lap the new bolt into the newly cut lug abutments. For the smoothest operation of the bolt and utmost accuracy, both lugs should be smooth and in full contact with the corresponding lug recesses.

In the end, it is often times not as simple as ordering a new bolt for a rifle and have it plug and play. You may to do a little extra work or you might need a precision gunsmith.

Buck
    C&H Precision Weapons