• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replacement Floorplates

Helix

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2009
Australia
I have managed to scratch the hell out of the floorplate on both of my rifles by not realising at some point that they have been rubbing up against an apparently highly abbraisve surface. The two rifles are a Weatherby Fibreguard/Vanguard and a Winchester 70SA heavy varmint. The mechanism itself is all still fine, it's just the plate that covers the magazine gap and is a real eye sore on two otherwise impecable looking rifles.

Does anyone know if and where replacements can be ordered from? and are they easy to swap over or do they require the help of a gunsmith?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

Re: Replacement Floorplates

If they're aluminum, you can strip the anodize with caustic soda, buff out the defects and have them re-anodized.

Otherwise, I'd expect you to have to go to the factory parts source nearest you.

are there any websites that sell parts/accessories for such rifles? I'm in Australia and the whole city only has one gunsmith and a handful of gun stores. Online is more than likely my only option.

I haven't been able to find anywhere online that sells replacement floorplates that would fit as yet. I might have to ask the local gunshop if they can order the parts, or go and see a gunsmith.

When it comes to finding a replacement floorplate/trigger guard, are all weatherby's and winchester's etc generic, or atleast one that would fit, or do they often change them?

and also, is adding a replacement just a matter of undoing the two screws at each end and screwing the replacement in, or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for the probably simplistic questions, im relatively new to it all.

Helix, Pacific too and Gauge makes a Trigger Guard Assembly for the Winchester model 70 Post-64 Short Action, this part is steel and should be able to take some abuse. I have a steel one on my Rem and PT&G make a quality product, hope this helps.
Marty