• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Replacement folder for the Cold Steel Recon 1

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey guys,
as the title says, I want another knife for EDC use, which should replace the Recon 1.
And as the Recon 1 might tell, I´m willing to invest a bit for a knife that satisfies me, hopefully for a life time.
Let´s say 200 bucks should be the limit?

You may call my thoughts "nitpicking", but with a knife personal preferences are commonly no big issues, but rather the small tiny things that matter (to you).
So don´t get me wrong, there´s nothing totally bad with the the Recon 1, having almost all features I want for my EDC, but ... there are some hints which turn me off a bit after a good while carrying it, and I have to look out if there is something better for me. .

1. I don´t like the handle for my needs.
I´m doing all kinds of work with my EDC knife, including some tuff wood stuff, and therefore the handle of the Recon 1 is a pita.
After a short time my hand begins to hurt.

So I´m looking for a more rounded handle which fits and adulates my so sensitive hands more, a hand-adulater (lol).

2. It is a bit to big for my needs.
The grip is extra long, don´t get me wrong, I want a full-size grip for having the most possible control, but the Recon 1 is overdoing this section in my opinion.
The handle stands out at the front and the end, especially pissing me off at the front, because your four fingers are about an inch more back from the blade as they need to be or should be.

2a. Overall it is quite a bit bigger as needed.
A blade length of 3 to 3.5" is all I need for my EDC.
The Recon 1 has not only a blade length I don´t need and which makes it unnecessary difficult to do fine work with, the handle is bigger than needed as well.
I don´t like to carry around a knife which is that big for no benefit, not talking about a bigger foot print as necessary.

3. It hasn´t really an option for a good "foregrip", means, when you are putting your index finger onto the lower side of the blade and your thumb onto the upper side, it feels awkward.
There is this bulky - let me call it "hand guard" on the lower side of the grip, so that you have to stretch your index finger out from the other three - and - there are no grooves for your thumb on the upper side.
Ok, I could make my own grooves on it, but I´m a construction worker, not an artist, and I don´t want to ruin a blade in that price category if I don´t have to.

So, that´s much about it.
I want a knife which is a bit shorter, has a more handfitting handle, allows more and better grip-position-options than the Recon 1 and - as a bonus - has some thumb grooves in the upper side of the blade.

P.S.: Because of law restriction it can not have a "spider" hole, a "one-hander" is forbidden, so if it has a knob which I can replace it is no problem.

Any recommandation is welcome.
:)

Last edited:
Look at the Bark River knives. Think they will have one. I think they are good knives

Reactions: Jayjay1
Yes, I totally agree, but they have no folders I think.
Sorry I didn´t say that (just changed the title here), but it has to be a folder.

The Kersha Blur is hard to beat for $70. I also love my Proelia with D2 blade. That thing stays sharp for a very long time but hard to sharpen unless you use diamond.

image000000.jpg

How do they fit in your hand?

Especially with wood work flat and edged handels are a pita.

Thank you for the pic.

Just for my taste, the blade is to thick.
But for the price, they seem to be outstanding in quality.

Well, I´m not a collector, like I said, I´m willing to spend some money for this.
What I´m looking for is "the" knife.
That one which will go with me for a very long time, every day, everywhere.
Therefore it has to be great, not fancy bling-bling, just great in everything other than that.

I checked out hundreds of knives the last couple days from brands, which are highly recommended.
Probably I would have tried a Spyderco, but because of the regulations here I can´t have that (can´t carry it) because it´s a one-hand-opening knife.
So I looked at Boeker, WE, Lionsteel, Benchmade, Doug Ritter, Cold Steel - you name it, I´ve seen it.

It is crazy how many options are out there, and you might think "Well, it´s a knife, just grab one, where´s the problem?".
But actually I´ve found none which filled all my needs.
Finally I´ve ordered the Benchmade Super Freek yesterday, to give it a shot.