• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacement for AICS Magazines - Accurate vs Alpha

daved

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I'm having a 260 Rem built and chambered to allow a longer COAL than will fit in an AICS mag. It seems the options are to have the front bar removed from the AICS mags or use Alpha or Accurate magazines. The Alpha website mentions that the action (feed ramp) may have to be modified for cartridges to load reliably. I'd appreciate any input regarding modifying the AICS mags or using the Alpha/Accurate replacements particularly with respect to feeding reliability and action modifications.

Thanks,

Dave

I have found Accurate to be superior to my Alpha mags, but not by much.

You can get the Alpha with the front plate already removed.

It looks like both Accurate and Alpha make magazines without the "blinder plate" - the strip of metal at the front of the AICS mag - that allows longer cartridges to be fitted. I was curious as to whether there was any difference between the two brands and also if the longer cartridges required modifications to the action to feed reliably.

Savage and tikka don't require a feedramp notch, if it is a Remington it will need a notch. I am in the same boat as u. I have a tikka with factory chamber, with 142 smk at preferred length they won't fit in an aics. If i seat bullets .025" shorter they fit in any 5 rd ai mag i have but not in any 10 rd ai mag. I am already giving up some accuracy by seating deeper . I have a 5 rd accurate mag that is equal to ai quality. The only negative i have heard about alpha type 2 mags are that they tend to only hold 7-8 rds, anymore and the push them up through the feedlips. That is just something i read here, no real firsthand experience.

So if you had to pick? where would you spend your money? How does the Accurate ".223 conversion" mag work? Better than the polymer AICS .223? I'm looking on getting a few extra mags.

I've been running an alpha mag in my 243 its been flawless through 3 matchs 200 range rounds and 15 groundhogs. I am goin to switch to them exclusively now.

Easy decision: Accurate over Alpha. I found Alpha's to swell once they are loaded to capacity. They are then damn tight to fit in the magwell. To me, they also feel somewhat cheaper than the Accurate's, but it's probably just me...picky bastard.

ETA - my Alpha mags were for a .308 squeezing into Seekins DBM.

My experience was with Alpha mags feeding into Seekins DBM. Short summary: the combo sucked - I mean beyond sucked, and the Seekins was not the issue. The Alpha mags were flimsy and swelled with anything over 7 rounds. When fully loaded they would not seat properly, and when I had them down-loaded they fed like crap. I went back to AI. I had some JP mags that were rock solid too, but sold them. I've just stuck with AI ever since...

So it sounds like the Alpha Type 1 is G2G? and if you need more OAL go with the Accurate?

So if you had to pick? where would you spend your money? How does the Accurate ".223 conversion" mag work? Better than the polymer AICS .223? I'm looking on getting a few extra mags.

I spoke with them about their 223 mag. They told me OAL was limited to somewhere around 2.34". I did not store that info exactly as I need 2.45". Way too bad for all that to get so close.

I think i'll order some accurate mags for the longer oal i need. Might order a set of their 223 inserts for my 6 br savage /aics setup. Got 308 ai mags to work with a spacer, ar follower,and ak mag spring. This insert might be the easy route. Better check my oal on the br rounds first. Who is the best source for accurate mags, any hide vendors?

Time to bring this thread back.

Has anyone used an Accurate-Mag without a blinder plate to feed longer OAL rounds through a Defiance Deviant action? I know a Rem 700 would have to be modified but I'm wondering if the Deviant is good to go.

If your Deviant has AW cut, you are good to go w/o any mods.