• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Replacement Gun

Nathan11B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
Osseo, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
So last fall when I moved away for school I sold my Sig P229 9mm and this year I would like to replace the pistol. My price is $700ish, the main purposes is range/carry gun. Not sure if I wanna stick with the 9 or just stick to the 45 period, but I have dies for both along with supplies. Been looking at the following: P320, 229, HK VP 9. I have a strong dislike for Glocks so please don't recommend them, I've shot them and owned them. Would be interested in any thoughts or recommendations. I do know what I like and what fits my hand.

I really am not busting on you, but you ask for our suggestions for a new sidearm with a specific couple of uses then you say you dont want to hear anyone suggest glocks!!! Then you say you know what you like and know what fits your hand better. Why even ask the question. Sounds like you already know what you want. For me personally, it has always been what feels comfortable and reliable. For the past several years my choice has been glock. I own handguns for two reasons, to protect myself and my family. Glocks are not pretty but they go bang everytime, period. With that being said, you might take a look at the XDM, Smith and Wesson. I dont own them but know they are high quality polymer striker fired pistols. Do you want a striker fired? Double action only? Get what feels the best to you and what you shoot the best. All of the major makers make good stuff for your purposes.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Haha I love my Sig 226 and my Beretta M9A1. Both very full size guns, but definitely my two favorite 9s in the safe. I'd say stick with the 229, it's a nice gun!

The Sig P320 and HK VP9 IMO is too new to acquire. Been keeping a close eye on both but will wait at least a year to pull the trigger on one! On the HK side I would look at the P30, ergonomics is second to none. Fits both small and big hands easily. On the Sig side I would go P226, but since you want to carry too may be a bit heavy. So maybe the 2022 with the polymer frame...

I love it when an OP says "I don't like Glock" yet people respond with Glock... I carry a Glock but I do know how people don't like them and will not recommend something someone specifically says not to.

The HK VP9 has my eye right now and I don't consider HK to be one of the companies that are a "wait and see" type, unlike Ruger, Remington, Springfield and S&W which have all introduced serious lemons and/or recalls over the last decade. I won't go into caliber discussions as they're too fan based, but I'll say I carry and shoot a shit load of 9mm due to cost and capacity. That's a personal choice.

Me personally, Sig has fallen out of favor with me. Bulky and heavy which I don't mind on the firing line but when I carry IWB for 16 hours a day it gets cumbersome, so my P229 sits in the safe a whole lot lately. I would suggest giving a hard look at the S&W M&P line as well. The Compact is a great handgun for carry, but spare mags are a bit of a chore to find still (four months for me on Midway's notify list this past winter/spring). Full size are quite available and affordable.

Glocks have zero appeal to me and to me have zero character. I've shot a 19 and shot it well, owned a 17 and hated it every time shooting. Glocks are just big blocks that shoot, for me a gun needs to have a certain amount of character. The only Glock that had character is the salient arms and I'm not spending that much on a handgun. Ever.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'4" and 245 so what I can conceal has a wide range.

Double action only is kinda out of the question and I do not see DA/SA being an issue for me. I shot idpa with my 229 for a summer and progressed rather well.

I ask because sometimes I'm wrong and make quick decisions so this helps me think through my choices. I tend to over analyze lol!

XDm compact

I bought the 45acp not long ago. It was love at first sight. I didn't believe in that kind of thing before, but once I picked up the pistol it was real. HAHA

Seriously though, it's a great pistol and I'd highly recommend it. Especially for the price.

I would personally go with a striker fired pistol, just my opinion.

I currently carry a Glock but I'm eager to try out the M&P and VP9 when I can.

Replacement Gun

I understand the striker fired mentality, if I had to pick the vp9, m&p, and p320(4"barrel when released) would be my choices then.

Thanks for all the recommendations people! This will give me some ideas some time to handle and see what I like and dislike. Thanks for the input.

I share your opinion of glocks. Owned several at different times. I don't like them. But then I am not easily impressed with any polymer "black gun". That being said I have however recently switched to a S&W M&P pro 9mm for competition. I switched to this pistol from a beretta m9 due to several factors. Pros for me are the consistent trigger pull inherent of a striker fired pistol as well as the absence of an external safety. These features save time and add to overall consistency. In addition I chose the M&P for its ergonomic feel and the fact that the barrel is one of the lowest available. What I mean by that is the barrel sits low in the frame closer to the web of your grip. The higher the barrel sits away from the center of your grip the more leverage you have to overcome to regain the sight picture. I feel like the XD's are VERY tall.(I have never measured for the record) This is the opposite of what I want for competition and the theories are transferable to defensive situations. Another factor for me that eliminates glock is grip angle. Pistol shooting is very much about muscle memory. After years of shooting 1911s the glock does not "point" for me. Example: close your eyes when considering a pistol then aim and open your eyes and see where the pistol is pointing. For me the glock is always pointing way up in the air. Its all about what your used to. My story could easily be the opposite had I done most of my pistol shooting with glocks. One con of the M&P is the triggers have a lot of take up and on some pistols they are even "gritty" until they start to break in. The trigger on the pro I own is better than the rest of the pack but still not great. Several companies make great trigger replacement parts that will solve that issue in varying stages of cost and complexity. For under $100 you can have a great feeling trigger with a better and more audible reset. This brings me to my point....$441 for a 4.25" 17+1 9mm + $100 or less for trigger upgrades=$541. Money left over for ammo! haha

S&W M&P9 17+1 9mm 4.25" $441.00 SHIPS FREE

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

Their are a lot of superior pistols but you have a price range to stay in and I feel like M&P is a quality pistol for a bluecollar price.

These are only my personal opinions. I obviously chose my gun for my own reasons. Choose yours for your own reasons. Shoot straight and good luck!

PS: Let us know what you end up doing!

Last edited:
Sooo I went to a local Cabelas and held a few guns that people recommend. First off was the m&p the 4 1/4" and shield version. Both were nice and predictable in trigger pulls. Held a Walter PPX because they didn't a PPQ, but I think I need to get my hands on a PPQ. Looked at XDs, but couldn't bring myself to hold one, sooo blocky. Toyed with the idea of looking at a 226, but gave up on that quick. Side note cabelas lightning screws with pointing a gun for me.

Everything your posting screams: "I need a 1911!" Post haste, find a Springfield Range Officer to fondle at about your listed price limit.

I have owned a compact glock (19 and 23) for a very long time and recently picked up a ppq and vp9. After some time with all three I would recommend the VP9 as my choice of range/carry gun. It is a close call between the PPQ and VP9 but I would give the vp9 the edge as a carry gun due to the trigger. The PPQ is noticeably lighter with more take up and a shorter reset, while the vp9 has much less take up with a heavier pull and a very slighty longer reset. In a self defense situation under extreme stress the lighter ppq trigger is easier to ad/nd with, while the shorter take up on the vp9 is easier to shoot when you are panicking and trigger control is for shit.

Look at the FNX-9. Better ergos than the Glock. Very soft shooting and high capacity as well. If you want striker fired, then the FNS 9 will work. You can get one cheaper than $700 and have some $$ left for ammo or accessories. I still have my G19 but prefer my FNX.

I'm shooting an XDm with a Powder River trigger kit in IDPA - really nice feel for a striker-fired 9mm. Let a few of the Glock 34 guys try it, and they all preferred the XDm trigger.

I'm 6'8", 230 lbs, and can conceal it just fine - and at 19+1 capacity, it wins that category...

that said, I'm in CT, and limited to 10+1, and my daily carry is a 1994 vintage P229 in .357 sig. Sent it out to Bruce Gray, and they did their reduced reset trigger, and fitted a BarSto match 9mm barrel for me. Best trigger in the house (short of a custom 1911).

That said, I've been carrying my S&W 625 PC or 627 PC lately, just because. Full-moon clips don't fit in the pockets too well, but nothing says "go away" like 8 rounds of full-house .357 magnum out of a 5" barrel.

I've heard good things about the HK. Everything I've seen about the M&P says "add the Apex trigger kit".

If you were happy with the P229 - get another. Nothing wrong with it, and I don't think the weight difference between alloy and plastic matters - for daily carry, I'd likely avoid the full stainless variants...

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 21
I just bought the sig m11-a1. All I can say is "oh my!". I realize there is minimal differences between the m11 and the 229. This is the best feeling pistol for me that I have, and I have several glocks, berretas, and smiths.

My suggestion is a compact 1911 in .45 (or a full-size in a shoulder holster). Why? The caliber and design just plain work. The 1911 feels good in my hand and I like an external hammer. These are *personal preferences* based on quite a few years of carrying and shooting the 1911.

I've also been known to carry a Beretta 70S and a Walther PP. The firearm you have with you is better than the perfect one back in the safe or in the store.

I bought my step-son a Springfield XD in .40S&W, which he selected, to take to the police academy. Then I made the mistake of letting him shoot my 1911. Now he wants one.

Cheers,
Richard

My suggestion is a compact 1911 in .45 (or a full-size in a shoulder holster). Why? The caliber and design just plain work. The 1911 feels good in my hand and I like an external hammer. These are *personal preferences* based on quite a few years of carrying and shooting the 1911.

I've also been known to carry a Beretta 70S and a Walther PP. The firearm you have with you is better than the perfect one back in the safe or in the store.

I bought my step-son a Springfield XD in .40S&W, which he selected, to take to the police academy. Then I made the mistake of letting him shoot my 1911. Now he wants one.

Cheers,
Richard

I love 1911s, however they are not the best for carry purposes.

They are maintenance intensive when shot a lot, and are known as the "king of the feedway stoppage"

Not to mention a much higher buy in price for one that will run. Lower capacity, more weight.

I love 1911s, however they are not the best for carry purposes.

They are maintenance intensive when shot a lot, and are known as the "king of the feedway stoppage"

Not to mention a much higher buy in price for one that will run. Lower capacity, more weight.

Hadn't heard the part about feedway stoppage. Just for the heck of it, I once put 1000 cast handloads through my IPSC 1911 without cleaning. No problems. I *did* start getting occasional feeding problems recently. A new extractor fixed that problem. Considering the number of rounds through the pistol, I can't view that as maintenance intensive.

Can't argue with lower capacity and more weight. The first can be helped with a double-stack which will get you to 12 or 14 in the tube. The second can be helped a bit with an SV or STI frame. A little wider in the grip, but it worked just fine for an IPSC match.

It's all personal preference, and I can't think of a handgun that pleases everyone. Although I'm thinking the HK in .45 could come real close.

BTW, the pistol I'm currently tweaking to be one of my carry guns is a Tokarev TT-33 (the Yugo M-57 version). Very thin and definitely has the power.

Cheers,
Richard

Hadn't heard the part about feedway stoppage. Just for the heck of it, I once put 1000 cast handloads through my IPSC 1911 without cleaning. No problems. I *did* start getting occasional feeding problems recently. A new extractor fixed that problem. Considering the number of rounds through the pistol, I can't view that as maintenance intensive.

Can't argue with lower capacity and more weight. The first can be helped with a double-stack which will get you to 12 or 14 in the tube. The second can be helped a bit with an SV or STI frame. A little wider in the grip, but it worked just fine for an IPSC match.

It's all personal preference, and I can't think of a handgun that pleases everyone. Although I'm thinking the HK in .45 could come real close.

BTW, the pistol I'm currently tweaking to be one of my carry guns is a Tokarev TT-33 (the Yugo M-57 version). Very thin and definitely has the power.

Cheers,
Richard

The 1911s design makes it so when feeding the round has a further "jump" into the chamber then other offerings. Hence the feedway issues.

What I mean by maintenance intensive is that if you have a parts breakage at all, its gonna require hand fitting or a trip to the gun smith in most cases. Theres just really no comparison to the modern day plug and play guns that will run thousands of rounds without a hiccup.

You're going into 2011 territory there.

No, there is no one size fits all. Its just the pure fact that while I personally love the 1911, I can't bring myself to have my life depend on it when there are better and cheaper options.

I'm not even gonna get started on carrying an eastern block gun ;)

It seems like you are down to a couple favorites, so my advice is to find a place, like an indoor range, that allows gun rental and try each one out. That is the only way, you'll know for sure that a pistol fits well and shoots well for you IMO.

Of course, I do understand that not everyone has that availability, so in that case just get an M&P and be happy :)

I love the internet. The beauty in a 1911's simplicity of function comes with its love of 230 grain hardball or 230 grain JHP in round nosed form. Throw bs like Truncated bullets/SWC's or 200 grain ashtrays with large open tips, and yeah some may malfunction. THEY WERE NEVER DESIGNED FOR THOSE ROUNDS!!!!! Its like feeding a stock Glock lead bullets and being surprised when it goes kaboom. Well made 1911's like Springfield and up in quality are not the jamomatics some would like you to believe. If they were they would never have been favored over a good wheelgun. Almost exclusively, I have seen handloads, and most of these being lead/copper plated SWC bullets jam 1911's. The exception was Winchester BEB's truncated 230's jam a springfield that did not like them. Get a few hundred rounds of WWB 230 fmj or jhp and show me a jam in a TRP or range officer. You'd have to limp wrist it like a diva or not clean the thing in a thousand rounds or so. If when asking how often you clean your gun, you answer "clean, what is this clean you speak of?". Then a 1911 is not for you. Clean it every 300-400 or so rounds and I doubt you see many jams with factory 230 grain ammo.

Clean it every 300-400 or so rounds and I doubt you see many jams with factory 230 grain ammo.

If a pistol needs to be cleaned every 300-400 rounds to remain reliable, it's not. I'm not saying a 1911 isnt capable of better, but thats not a standard i would use to judge the reliability of a pistol. Check out pistol-forum and the members doing 2,000 round (and more) endurance tests. Or Todd Green's 90,000 round P-30.

I'm not a fan of endurance testing in everyday usage. Only a VERY small percentage of folks will be firing 1-2K of 45acp in a day. I was taught to clean my firearms frequently. Why leave it to chance?