• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replication.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
I have noted numerous inquiries and commentaries about replicas of specific miltary firearms and ammo configurations. M1 Garands, M1A's, and M1 carbines, even BAR's can be obtained as either exact replicas or similarly configured replicas.

While I can understand one's desire for such things, in the end, what one holds in their hands is not the original, but a replica. I've got nothing against the idea. In some instances, it may be the only way to possess such implements either affordably or legally. So I'm all for it.

What I'd really like to see is a series of replicas of the M1903 Spingfield Rifle variants. Maybe even an availability in additional chamberings, including .308 and .260. Combining a very desirable basic design with modern materials, bore design, and manufacturing capabilities simply makes good sense to me.

Am I the only one who has such a desire?

Greg

Re: Replication.

+1 on what Skunk said.

Replicas do nothing for me either...

Like when I was looking for an all original M1 Garand, I didn't care about how perfect the finish was in the stock, to me, the scars in the stock made it more unique...

Good question.

Might justify a change on the basis of incorporating advancements that were not envisioned at the time the firearm was in production.

For example, an M1903A-? chambered in .308 or .260 could be a real improvement. I think such chamberings could make the 1903 a better rifle. Think of it as a logical development of the original series of variants.

I made the serious mistake of selling my M1903 when I was too ill to tolerate the recoil of the .30-'06 in the lightweight Springfield platform. I would have been much less likely to do that if I could have enjoyed the same rifle, only chambered in .308. And in .260, I think I'd like it even more.

These days I have different health reasons, equally valid, for avoiding recoil.

But mainly, after seeing the SA replica Garands and M1A's, I just think that omitting an '03 replica is a serious oversight. There are obviously market niches for the first two, and I think an '03 replica could be a solid hit.

Greg

The 1903A4 with telescopic sight would be very cool. I'm not sure about different chambering such as .260 Rem or .308 Win. Seems that for me, the attraction to the 03A3/A4 rifles is the 30-06 cartridge. I love the ought 6! In fact my favorite hunting rifle is a sporterized 03A3 chambered in the venerable ought 6.

The idea of owning a 1903A4 with a Lyman 5A telescopic sight (even a replica) is just as desirable to me as owning a new custom rifle. I would buy one if they were available at a decent price.

I think the point where we depart consensus is the bit about what is lost. I don't see anything being lost, only an alternative being added.

As for the '06 chambering, I didn't mean to disparage it. I agree, much to learn from the old caliber. What I'd see as a gain would be a rifle built to the 1903 configuration, but made with modern production capabilities and standards. We've come a ways since the first half of the 20th, and fact is, no matter how many of us want them, they're not making any more of them. I think that the market could support the additional production and there'd be nothing lost with regard to the existing rifles.

I just think it could be a worthwhile addition.

Greg

I've been collecting U.S. military rifles for a bit over 25 years and have been fortunate to run across some very nice specimines. I find the alure of an original rifle to be significantly more interesting than any other rifle I own, except the accurate ones
grin.gif

There are enough beater, rebarreled, parts guns and imports out there that it wouldn't hurt any real or intrinsic value to build one up off that type of platform. The question would be "To what purpose?" They couldn't be used in any of the "Old Military Gun, Matches", the technology is easily eclipsed by even the lowest priced modern offerings and the cost of doing it would easily surpass a factory offering of significantly better performance.

I love my collection dearly and most have put food on the table but the reality is that they are for looking and fondling and passing on a bit of history to my kids.

FWIW I consider replica's to be non functional, but a "correct build" to be the only viable option for most of us working stiffs. All the parts that have been made, have been made. There are no more. If you assemble a bag of correct parts is it the same as a "original", NO. Then again a "totaly restored" 57 Chevy isn't original either but sells for a mint because there are no more originals to be had.

.02 for the pot

Cheers,

Doc

Don in SC has a nice 1903A4. Maybe we can get him to post a few pics.
Semper Fi

I love my CR rifles, I wish I had an original 03a4 or 03a3, someday, politics willing, I will.

I won't buy a replica Garand and I probably wouldn't give much thought to passing by a replica 03. Just the scars and history brings so much to the character of the arm that I don't particularly want a new one.

Some of my favorite shooters are my k98's and MN 91/30's. I see your point to the steel buttplate recoil, but I mitigate that (and the cost to feed) by using cast bullets and Unique.

As to the improvement on owning a new one in 308 or 260, you have a good point on ballistics, but if you're going to do that, why not just own a Rem 700 or something? Same lack of history (other than the design) and if you want improved ballistics or recoil, etc. then a new arm will give you new design and new options for optics and barrels.

I'd probably pass on a replica, sorry to say.

I'm only 25 too, maybe it's the CR collector in me, but historical pieces are more fun. Then I have BS material for standing around and jawing over an open rifle case.

Here is a real one vs. the new replica. I have no issues with the replicas as long as all of the parts are easily identified as replica, to many will eventually end up on the market as original if they don't. The Commemorative M40 is a great example, the SN start with an SS to identify it as a replica and it is a great shooter. I like the originals also for the history. This rifle was possibly carried by a Staff Sgt across Italy during WW2 (bought it from an 82 yr old that made this claim, who knows?). Replicas and commeroratives definatley have their place in the shooting community.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Original M1903A4 built in June or July of 1943</span>
IMG_0294.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gibbs Replica 1903A4 for Comparison</span> Scope / Barrel / Stock made in China from what I have been told

p003_0_01_01.jpg