• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reproduction 8x USMC scope

I have one of those on a sharps. It’s not bad. But I sure wouldn’t buy from that site! Or Optics Planet which it is linked to!!

The tough part of any of those old scopes is transitioning from our modern scopes and dealing with tiny lenses… minuscule eye buckets… thick crosshairs and kludgy verniers.

It reminds you how good our forefathers were, though!

Sirhr

While appearance wise they are not very close to a real USMC Unertl scope, the glass on them is actually much better.

I was really surprised the first time I looked thru one as they are much more clear than the real ones.

While appearance wise they are not very close to a real USMC Unertl scope, the glass on them is actually much better.

I was really surprised the first time I looked thru one as they are much more clear than the real ones.
The miracle of modern coatings!!!

Probably glass, too. But by the 1920’s optical glassmaking was pretty advanced. 500 years of glassmaking and grinding is a pretty good head start.

Not sure when coatings started to come online… my goes is ‘40’s and ‘50’s for military optics, cameras and photography. I’ll have to look that up.

It’s coatings that have made modern “glass” seem so amazing. And last fall when I looked through a ZCO scope for the first time… my reaction was that whatever coatings they developed to “tune in” mirage are a miracle of modern science.

Never seen mirage so clearly. And that is a compliment to ZCO. Seeing the target is one thing. Reading the mirage AND seeing the target is wizard stuff. Thus the cool factor of why has to be the “tuning” of their coatings package.

But, yes, my repro is clearer than some old “real”’Unertlsnand Leitschert scopes I!have mounted.

Sirhr

I have one of those on a sharps. It’s not bad. But I sure wouldn’t buy from that site! Or Optics Planet which it is linked to!!

The tough part of any of those old scopes is transitioning from our modern scopes and dealing with tiny lenses… minuscule eye buckets… thick crosshairs and kludgy verniers.

Sirhr

That's no joke. Don't shoot your unertl 10x on a Win 70 back to back shooting anything with an S&B PM2 on it

I've got one on a faux 1903A1 USMC sniper rifle. I've got a number of the older long tube scopes also and agree with the previous poster that the scope image with the HiLux is much better.

Now that HiLux has come out with upgraded rings, the mounts are also better.

Sirhr
Gun.deals is real I use it to find stuff cheaper you can search a UPC or part number and it’ll give you a list of everywhere that has it and the price. The site is just a resource

Reactions: Bluedog82
Gun.deals is real I use it to find stuff cheaper you can search a UPC or part number and it’ll give you a list of everywhere that has it and the price. The site is just a resource
That’s good to know. But Optics planet “behind”’it is a disaster. They never have anything m stock. They take order and the tell you it’s on back order. And then Spend weeks or months trying to get it in stock. Be very wary of Optics Planet.

Not to be confused with EuroOptic, which is a class act!

Sirhr

FWIW, I've had my Leatherwood repo 8X scope since 2012, and it has given good service over time. I replaced the original screws years ago with better screws that were properly heat-treated/hardened compared to the softish Chinese screws, but the glass is actually quite good. Pretty much all of the guys I shoot with at the CMP Vintage Sniper Match using an M1903 use that same repo scope. It's primitive and it does take some getting to, and it will certainly not be confused with a modern high-quality tactical scope... Here's a pic of 2021.
VSM_Camp_Butner_NC_042021_v2.png

What with the recoil spring on these vs no spring? I don’t know anything about them.

What with the recoil spring on these vs no spring? I don’t know anything about them.

The common practice is on heavy recoil rifles to remove it to avoid breaking a horsehair reticle, but you have to pull it back to battery every time.

I don't take mine off I just leave it fairly loose and don't have a problem. Of course 3 of my 4 unertls are on rimfires but it's all good

I have one on my M70 sniper. The optics are great, the mounts not so much. The clicks are very mushy, and they are 1/3 minute adjustments not 1/4. I’ve shot it out to 700 yards, and it’s quality glassView attachment 7857634
Beautiful rifle, Flint.

A few years ago, HiLux upgraded the scope rings. They are much better now.

As a bonus, they knock $100 off the price if you already have a HiLux 8x scope with the original rings.

Reactions: Flint62a1
Wish I had something to put one on, unless it'll mount on my 40XB

Beautiful rifle, Flint.

A few years ago, HiLux upgraded the scope rings. They are much better now.

As a bonus, they knock $100 off the price if you already have a HiLux 8x scope with the original rings.
Thanks, it's one of my favorites to shoot.
Is that correct? they knock off $100 if you already own the scope?? I have to make a phone call.

Reactions: Calfed
How far apart are your mounts spaced? That could give you a difference in the adjustment value per click
I measured them at one tme, don't remember exactly but they were not the 7.2 inches they should be, but they were only off by a bit. My buddies rifle has the same scope, his mounts are correct- 7.2" and he gets 1/3 minute from the clicks too.

Reading this made me chuckle, remembering the Parson's scope I had on a BPCR. When I bought it, the seller, a third party who was selling it for the original owner's widow, listed it and sold it to me as broken. Because the scope slid in it's mounts.

Several years later when I sold it, the person who bought it from me online emailed me and complained that the scope was broken... because it slid in it's mounts. :D

I regret selling that setup, the scope more so than the rifle.