• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Request recommendation from members

jgrausa

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
I am in a quandary as the direction to follow after a recent health issue. I was just diagnosed with "profound", irreversible hearing loss in one ear (71 years young). The other is not so great either, so hearing aids are in my near future. I asked my ENT, if I could still go to the range, he said sure, with protection. I always use some form of protection and figured I would double up my electronic muffs with molded ear plugs. The challenge is, I can't afford further damage to the "good" ear. I've been using a 6.5 Tikka CTR in a chassis with a brake. I am hoping to stay further from other shooters at my range, so I am building a portable shooting table. Prone is not an option for me. I'd like to further reduce recoil and mitigate sound.
Some options:
1) shoot suppressed
2) reduce caliber - retain chassis
3) reduce caliber - just go rimfire
4) forget the rifle and focus on the pistol (9mm CZ75)

Any forum members have similar issues and how did you address them?
Thanks
Joe

In addition to the things you already know, don't go to the range when the braked magnum shooters go.

Doubling up for sure.
Suppressed would be the way to go as well if you have the option. I don't have that option where I live.
I also have quite a bit of hearing loss, normal conversation and people with an accent that are not looking at me (or with a damn mask on) are difficult to understand. "Huh?" and "Say again" are often my first response to someone.

Reactions: mcc308
Muffs and plugs aren’t enough. Reduce dB of a center fire rifle to 130-135 which is still enough to damage hearing; add a suppressor and you’re down around 100 dB; move to suppressed rimfire w double protection and you’re down to 70-80 dB. That’s safe for life.

I would absolutely get a suppressor, pretty much everything I shoot I try and suppress as my left ear is pretty bad off and I want to protect it as much as I can. I do plugs and muffs and with a can it makes it very comfortable. And obviously staying as far away from the braked shooters as you have noted. Going rimfire is also an option, you don't even have to have a suppressor for the rimfire if you don't want. To my ear shooting my 6 and 6.5's suppressed seems about the same as my rimfire unsuppressed.

Suppressor is the way to go. I was born with a bad ear and have had problems off and on all my life, sometimes to the point it would hurt enough I wouldn't go shooting. After getting multiple cans I no longer have that issue. With the can and muffs/plugs you barely even notice the sound.

I put off getting a suppressor way too long. Mike at mile high says the longest part of the suppressor procurement odyssey is finally deciding to buy one; the rest is easy.

OP, what do you want to shoot? If someone told me to shoot rimfire suppressed, id just say nope. Doubled up and suppressed. I dont think caliber matters within reason, and stay away from the shorty barrels.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
On my wish list would be to shoot 6 dasher, suppressed, in my Tikka action using the existing chassis. I think that would result in reduced recoil as well as much quieter. It just comes at a significant cost. I already have the glass and 1200 meter range to work with. Neither has utility with a rimfire.

6.5CM seems to be one of the calibers that suppresses fairly easy in my experience. That being with my own 24" tikka CTR (now a 20") and a 16" AR10 upper I built. I only have OSS suppressors and they still are awesome at making the rifle sound good and be manageable. I definitely consider myself to be concussion sensitive and have confirmed significant hearing loss.

So buy the suppressor. Currently torn between a TBAC dominus CB or CGS hyperion K myself to dedicate to the tikka

My wife is in the hearing aid business. She made me custom ear plugs and I wear quality muffs over them. I can't hardly hear a 308 with a APA little bastard on it when I shoot it.

1. always shoot centerfire suppressed, even before you have hearing loss because in time... you will likely have some hearing loss shooting centerfire cartridges

Thunderbeast Ultra 2 for centerfire bolt guns, direct thread mount
don't wait. get one.

2. .22LR suppressed would be amazing for you... Vudoo 360 action?

3. 22LR unsuppressed would be good as well... Vudoo 360?

4. as above, stay away from people using brakes... much louder on the side which is where YOU are

5. STOP SHOOTING WITH A BRAKE!!!! Personally I think trading hearing ability for slight recoil reduction is a bad tradeoff for MY life.

6. I've found .223 to be quieter with a suppressor than 6.5 or .308 even using a .30 caliber suppressor.

7. always double up muffs + in ear decibel reduction

8. I can't comment on custom earplugs because I've never used them. I'd look into them if I was in your shoes.

Get molded ear plugs from your ent dr. I can barely hear anything with them in. And then wear muffs over that. You will have an issue hearing range commands!

Reactions: Buzzinga
I'm in the triple up camp. Plugs, muffs, and cans.

I rarely shoot anything unsuppressed.

Reactions: Buzzinga
My hearing is pretty crap. Im in a quiet house right now and all i hear is eeeeeeeeeeesseee. A good friend gave me a pair of peltor tactical pro muffs, i use them always now, but i dont really need to double up. The noise canceling is phenomenal and its amazing what i can hear when i wear them. From .22 to .338 i stand by them.

Surefire EP4's with a high-end, over-the-ear muff, no brake, suppressed if/when you can, switch to 6br/dasher/BRA etc to reduce recoil.

Tbac Ultra 9 and a set of Sordin Supreme Pro X Neckband with Gel Cups (bought a set for wife, daughter (LEO), and myself).

Also, I very rarely shoot unsuppressed, and I try to avoid being remotely close to braked centerfires at the range.

Last edited:
I have Regen hearing aids.
They have great noise filtering options, and can be easily adjusted via your phone.
A lot cheaper at Costco.
Electronic earmuffs in the Peltor range are great.
I don't have an issue with using my .338 Lapua.
There are lots of options.
👍

Use the suppressor for sure.
There is a fair bit of links starting to come out that indicates even when wearing good hearing protection, the blast from muzzle brakes can cause hearing damage based on the vibrations transmitted through the bones in your head.

My Dad is '95, reads lips, doesn't care who he talks over, head/eyes on pivot to drive. He does fine o_O

I feel your pain. I'm slowly losing my hearing and younger than you. Trying to convince my son to protect his hearing. Then again, he is 22 & believes that Superman has nothing on him.

With a muzzle brake, you cannot eliminate the hearing damage, even with muffs. Muffs protect your ears, but their is significant percussion that travels through the bone (i.e. skull) and is still damaging.

If I were you, I would still shoot centerfire but triple up - plugs, ears & a can. Definitely no brake. Sure your can argue that a lot of people around you are shooting brakes so what is the point. If its that bad then move away from those shooting brakes. The noise is piercing - I can still can hear it with double ears. That may mean that you don't shoot in PRS matches.

Last edited: