• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Required space between Scope and Barrel. ????

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I have a Rem700 300WM that I put on a Krieger M40 profile barrel. Its thick and heavy. (I think its M40, it was heavier than the Varmint). I have a NF 5.5-22X56 scope. When it had the stock Rem700 barrel, I had plenty of room, now I have just enough for light shine through. I mean C hair tight.

With that heavy barrel, do I get any whip and do I need more room? It shoots 1/2 groups and I took it out to 1,400 today with reasonable success. Only issue was the nut behind the trigger.

Any feedback appreciated.

If you see light then don't worry about it. Wait though I am sure someone will post that same old video of the scope moving on the semi auto .50 and scare you LOL

Rob01, Thank you. Good, I didn't want to buy another set of rings. Yea, Ive seen videos of hunting rifles whipping, but this is whole 'nuther' enchilada.

If you see light then don't worry about it. Wait though I am sure someone will post that same old video of the scope moving on the semi auto .50 and scare you LOL

Are you sure? I'll bet (though I'm guessing) I can see light through 0.005". Are you sure nothing will flex? I wouldn't personally bet on it, but I'm typically pretty cautious about $1,900 scopes.

Pappasniper, do you see any evidence of contact on the barrel or scope after shooting it? If not, I guess you're ok. I'd be interested to know how much clearance you relly have. Got a set of feeler gauges?

No I am new at this. Just a guess.

take your wive's or girl friend's brightest lip-stick and put a layer of it on the barrel,shoot,if you see it mark the scope,it's too close. try several more times to make sure.

might try something for grins. But that barrel weighs 96 lbs. dont see it flexing. I mean a C hair. Not two c hairs.

Not everyone has a keen eye for the dimensions of genitalia.

Been studying the female variety longer than I have been shooting LOL ;)

OP post a pic.

Like I said in my first post I knew someone would post that video. LOL

I can see light as I said. But I cant slide a rem wipe under it. I took the sunshade off to see if there was a mark on it. It be clean.

That measure exactly ONE C HAIR!

You know, it's not easy for an old married guy to get a large sample of pubes to measure. You may indeed be right on the dimension of a c-hair!

I had the same scope and a similar barrel. I could get 2 Post-it-notes under it, but not 3. Posi-its are 0.004" thick, so I had 0.008"-0.012" of clearance. That didn't seem like enough to me, so I made a change. I never shot it though. If you are shooting and it's not making contact, I guess you're good.

No rub then no problems. That video is a bit misleading in that the rifle is a .50 to begin with as well as the way the rifle is made with the mount moving and some if that scope movement is like the old wobbling bending pencil trick. That you shot it at distance and it was grouping tight along with the light between the barrel and objective is why I said dont worry about it. There is no rubbing so shoot and have fun.

This has been a great thread. I was actually worried about this same problem. I was quite impressed with the lipstick trick. Thanks priler, and I learned the thickness of a pube.

Please allow me to clear up this one mis-conception, if your hunting the right game, a C hair is much finer, silkier and more enjoyable to view than a pub.

My scope - one C hair :)

Another note, Badger bases are a PITA due to their length and hitting the front bell on scopes. I mounted a friends scope tonight and couldnt get a c hair between the scope and protruding base. Had to advance the scope forward. Now ONE C HAIR. And in large part due to this fine thread.

Another note, Badger bases are a PITA due to their length and hitting the front bell on scopes. I mounted a friends scope tonight and couldnt get a c hair between the scope and protruding base. Had to advance the scope forward. Now ONE C HAIR. And in large part due to this fine thread.

Take a dremel and cut off a few sections of rail in the front. It's more important to have the scope mounted properly for the shooter than moved forward to fit the rifle.

Take a dremel and cut off a few sections of rail in the front. It's more important to have the scope mounted properly for the shooter than moved forward to fit the rifle.

I will consider that.

I'm not doubting your experience, I just don't know what the the OP means by a c-hair. A pube actually measures about 0.006". That would make me nervous. If he means 1/32", it's a whole different story. Not everyone has a keen eye for the dimensions of genitalia.

What I want to know is how many C-Hairs did you measure to come up with this measurement, and how many women were involved in providing the specimens. Did you do it scientifically, or are you just pulling this number out of your ass?

What I want to know is how many C-Hairs did you measure to come up with this measurement, and how many women were involved in providing the specimens. Did you do it scientifically, or are you just pulling this number out of your ass?

I'll elect not to incriminate myself. Let's just say my statistical sample size is small and leave it at that...

I almost feel like I'm getting off topic at this point.

Using the forumla in the skicky I get a positive number. It's 3.2 mm or .126". This is for a Premier with butler creek caps which result in objective measuring 66 mm.

Am I correct in assuming that the 3.2 mm is the distance between the scope and the barrel?

Now that shit is funny.

Are you talking about a Royal c-hair or a Red c-hair, major difference. The Red ones can and do blowup in your face, have to be close cuz they have a very low BC.

The expression is RCH or a "red c-hair".
Red hairs are typically smaller in diameter than hair of other colors.
As for why it has to originate in the pubic region, I guess it's just more dramatic.

Watching the 50 cal video it's pretty obvious that the mount is doing most of the flexing, and this my be by design, to reduce the acceleration that the scope is subject to.
If your rail and rings are solid, you're not going to see anywhere near that much movement but I bet every scope flexes at least a little from the recoil of a decent hunting round (say .308 or above).
Myself I'd like to see at least enough of a gap to run a set of caps.

If the rings you have are so low that
a. the objective almost contacts the barrel and
b. the objective bell interferes enough with the rail that it forces a less than ideal eye relief, I think I'd spring for a taller set of rings.

I know the one issue can be resolved by cutting the rail but if you do cut the rail and slide the scope back, the barrel taper is gonna bite you; you'll have even less clearance between the scope and the barrel.

Joe

I know the one issue can be resolved by cutting the rail but if you do cut the rail and slide the scope back, the barrel taper is gonna bite you; you'll have even less clearance between the scope and the barrel.

Joe

No it won't. If the bell is already hitting the rail then it's already back into the heavier part of the barrel and must not been hitting as he only mentioned the rail coming into contact.

No it won't. If the bell is already hitting the rail then it's already back into the heavier part of the barrel and must not been hitting as he only mentioned the rail coming into contact.

Ah, I missed the part about the M40 profile.

Regardless, getting a slightly higher set of rings would solve 2 issues, one potential (the scope getting knocked silly by the barrel), and one real (poor eye relief).

Joe

His friend's scope isn't having the bell to barrel clearence issue. Just the rail hitting the bell. Depends on how far back it has to go. If raising thew scope to allow it to come back causes problems in cheek weld then you just added another issue. Cutting a section of rail off is the easiest fix. No need to buy new rings and the scope is at a good height.

Ive been having this thought too. Can some tell me if this is ok or not.other photos i cut the lip on bikini cover on NF it clears without those lips.is this too close or its ok.its mtu barrel
20130402_162814_zps2b9dca67.jpg

20130402_162913_zpsd308cc99.jpg

Scud it happens to the best of us more than we would like to admit ;)

That's fine bjay. Here's my .243. No problems.

Tnx rob that makes fee better... i made a mistake ordering this A5 just recently receivedi thought i disnt a adjustable cheekpice..
20130402_163037_zps25f0a4e9.jpg

Just throw some strips of mouse pad duct taped on under your stock pack if you need a little more height. You won't even see it but it will help. Nice looking rifle.