• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reseating pulled bullets, brass tension same?

redhooker

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2012
Northeast FL
Just another dumb question, after pulling some reloads with a kinetic puller, will there be any difference in neck tension when reseating the new round? I am particularly concerned with doing this with brass that I am working a load up for a rifle with. I do not want to affect the results on paper. Should this brass be relegated to other purposes or no difference from my fresh prepped brass? I thought about just running the neck up through the expander (just the tip, to see how it feels:)), but my feeble mind wants to believe that the seating die should put the same tension on it as the first time.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would speculate no, that the tension is reduced.
This can be measured on a drill press with a force gauge

K.I.S.S.

Your feeble mind is on the right track...

Seat the new round and move on.

Running the expander through will alter the original tension; so if a 'normal' condition is what you seek, skip the expander. If the pulling/seating of a new bullet alters the neck tension from what would be considered 'normal', it should be slight, and probably not enough to change grouping in any appreciable degree.

I routinely employ 'pulled' factory match components in custom developed loads, and treat them no different from packaged components.

Greg

Last edited:
Red, pulling bullets will indeed change the tension of the necks of your brass. How much depends on the age of the brass, and how work hardened it is (firing, resizing). If you've got a neck size die, pull the decapping pin and hit those bad boys up. If you're not neck sizing (i'm not except for my 7mm), I'd say resize them anyway, that way you're not getting inconsistent tension out of your next loads.
HTH

Thanks for the replies-this is once fired FL sized brass. I have several rounds loaded up right around the scatter node and was gonna pull and recharge them. I guess it couldn't hurt to run them through the FL sizer before I throw a charge in them as I don't have the decapping rod in the sizer die anyways.

I've done this plenty of times...I always neck size after the bullet is pulled. If you don't have a neck sizer, get one...no reason to over work the brass

I would measure them.

I have a lot of pulled LC LR cases, still primed. I measured the necks on a few, and they are at a size to give about 2 thousandths neck tension.

I've done this plenty of times...I always neck size after the bullet is pulled. If you don't have a neck sizer, get one...no reason to over work the brass

i have a redding comp neck sizer but only have a 333 bushing, I FL size everything so I didn't wanna go through ordering a bushing, but now it seems like a good idea. How would one go about matching a bushing size to my FL sizer die? Measure OD of neck after FL sizing and subtract a thou or 2? The 333 seems a bit small. thanks again for the responses

Measure brass thickness. Measure bullet diameter.

Brass thickness times 2 PLUS Bullet Diameter minus Desired Neck Tension in Thousandths = Approx bushing size. You might need to go down 1 - 2 thou for spring back.

But again, I measure some brass that had the bullets pulled, and they are fine as is.