• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing new primed brass?

Jonc07

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
Florida
I just ordered some new Remington 22-250 brass that is pre primed and upon arrival I see that the case necks are not perfectly round which is typical on new brass, my question is how do I resize the neck without knocking out the primer?

Just take the decapping pin out of your full length sizing die and run em through... Wipe off the case lube and you are ready to go. You might want to inside chamfer too.

Will that work for the ones dented inward? I would think that squeezing from the outside would only add to the bend, but as my wife says I am seldom right. Anyway I am still going to try it your way, thanks.

Please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong but I am using a lee full length sizing die and as far as I know the expander is part of the decapping pin.

In that case you might be able to pull the expander/decapping unit up into the die enough to avoid popping primers out.

Ok guys I was able to adjust the decapper expander pin up about 3/16" and this allowed me to full length size the cases without removing the primer, 100 down and 400 to go. Looking back I feel stupid that such a simple solution was staring me in the face, I guess I was over thinking the issue. Thanks guys for the advice.

Ok guys I was able to adjust the decapper expander pin up about 3/16" and this allowed me to full length size the cases without removing the primer, 100 down and 400 to go. Looking back I feel stupid that such a simple solution was staring me in the face, I guess I was over thinking the issue. Thanks guys for the advice.

Did you really have to FL size this brass? You mean it(The new brass) doesnt fit the chamber of your rifle? Running the expander thru the mouth of the case wouldve been sufficient, no?

I'm beginning to think buying brass pre primmed is a perfect way to fire form it quickly then neck size it if your using it in one particular rifle. It'll be Custom fit that way and a lot quicker too. Win win IMO. No?

I keep a set off sincliar expander dies for case mouths.... I use it with all new brass, sets a good case mouth tension and straightens out the necks.... very cheap

No I did not need to full length size the entire case just the neck but I did run the brass all the way into the die in order to remain consistent, I didn't want to short stroke it and not fully expand the case neck.