• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Resizing primed brass

targaflorio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
Alexandria, Virginia
I have about 60 rounds of loaded 308 ammo in LC brass and have decided I need to bump the shoulders for more headspace. -.001 pushed to -.003/.004. This brass was shot once out of a semi-auto and not fireformed in my bolt gun. My fired brass measures -.002 headspace

Any reason not to resize if I just take the depriming pin out of the sizing die? After pulling the bullet and dumping the powder of course.

Re: Resizing primed brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take the depriming pin out of the sizing die </div></div>

I've done it with no ill effects...

The only danger is if the case gets stuck in the die. There is no way to safely get it out and you have to buy a new die. Having said that, I would go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only danger is if the case gets stuck in the die. There is no way to safely get it out and you have to buy a new die. Having said that, I would go for it.</div></div>

Just pin out the primer and use a stuck case remover. No problem at all.

Live primers have very small wafers of compound, small enough to fit inside the primer cup and maybe 30 thou thick, it is not a stick of dynamite.

I have had a primer go off while hand priming, while it stung and scared the crap out of me, I was not injured and still prime by hand. It was like a fire cracker with a very short fuse!!!

I loaded over a thousand rounds of 308 once and they needed the shoulder bumped, I picked up a redding body die which allows you to bump the shoulder without having to pull the bullet. I highly recommend the body die!

"It's not a stick of dynamite, but unexpected detonation can be very disconcerting"

So ... expect it! Then, when it doesn't happen, you will be pleasantly surprized.

Or, in the very rare instance I may be wrong, you won't be so terribly disconcerted and will probably find a primer detonation is much less devastating than you may think.

I'd agree, not a problem...even a stuck case. Just don't beat on the primer and you'll be fine in that case.

Just make sure that the case is properly aligned in the shell holder so you're not pressing on the primer. Yea, I know their in the pockets and mostly flush. I've had them shift and go off.

Like was mentioned, its not a heavy explosion, just a lout pop.