• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing restocking a 721

superglide

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
fiddlers green
morning,i have a 721 30-06 thats in excellent shape.the stock is for iron sights and i want to restock it.im thinking about a B&C medalist stock,i know the safety area needs dremmeled but do i need to change magazines and such?
thanks

Re: restocking a 721

Alright, I guess I'm going to have to show my ignorance here. Someone help me out with "the stock is for iron sights". I'm not familiar with the 721 and maybe that why I don't understand what the stock has to do with the sights. Thanks, Brian Brown.

The 721 was the forerunner of the 700. A few different (more costly) manufacturing steps and features in the 721, but the footprint of the actions are virtually the same. However, the 721 was made back when scopes on rifles were the exception, not the rule, so the drop at the heel of the stock was low enough to sight through the iron sights on the barrel, not higher to get a cheek weld for sighting through a scope.

That's what he means by: "the stock is for iron sights."

The factory magazine will work if you tweak the inletting and use some spacers. The magazine is too tall to use otherwise It's much easier to pick up a BDL set up.