• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results September Topstraps Longrange (midrange) Rimfire Match

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
OK, I'm a week late in getting out my match report, sorry about that. Super busy the first part of the week then babysat Grandson the other days. Being Semi-retired is busy, where did all my free time go?

Had another great nice weather three days for the match with a good turnout, there was some tricky wind that picked up for a few hours and messed with some shooters, especially on the smaller bonus targets which might have changed the outcome of the match but that's part of the game and we have to accept it. The scores just keep getting better and the difference between the top finishers may come down to one or two gamble target.

Had 5 shooters clean my 197 yard 10" down to 1" 10 targets rack this month with Mike Moore doing it twice on two different days and Derrick Warren doing it three months in a row which is a new record. And NO, it was not done with a V-Gun but a CZ and Anschutz. My bonus shot this month was an Unknown distance 2" x 6" target between 100 and 140 yards. A misguess by 2 yards will be a miss, they can use their scope or do a SWAG and go for it. Most guessed and a few got lucky which also affected the winner from just a couple spots down. Makes for a fun time and makes the competitors think about how they want to shoot the course. A few small gamble targets on some stages can move you ahead a couple points of give you a big ZERO.

After last month and spotting for three days I tried to shoot on Sunday afternoon and couldn't read my note pad, see numbers on the scope or barely see those pesky lil circles with my peep sights. I bought a Target Vision Hawk unit that fits on the back of a spotting scope and sends the signal to my cell phone or tablet. I tried it on 5 different scopes and even bought a new 20-60 lens for my Kowa out of England but the only one it worked on kinda right was my old Unertil. I think I can get it to fit my Kowa but need to machine a new lens stop for the inside of the camera to get the perfect eye relief.

With the Unertil the focus is on the lens so I had to restraighten the camera every distance but once done it was great for letting me watch all the hits and make scoring a LOT easier. It did work a lot better when the bright sun wasn't lighting up the areas behind the target causing the black targets to not show the lead hits nearly as good as when it wasn't in direct sunlight but was plenty good enough to call the shots. One other thing I got that is needed is a Benro 3-Way Geared Head (GD3WH)gear drive head that lets me dial the scope up/down/left/right smoothly instead of trying to loosen the handles and watch the screen which even the slightest movement will look jerky. It works GREAT even with my Kowa on 60 power. Good investment.

benrogearhead.jpg

I had some new shooters which I really enjoyed watching them make adjustments and get hits farther than they have tried before. They did get to split a bullet on the axe at 50 yards and also made hits with peep sights on the 197 yard targets with my old BSA. They were curious after reading my match reports why peep sight shooters got separate targets but after looking at them thru the sights it was pretty clear it isn't as easy at it might first appear.

OK, the winner this month was Bill Nesbitt, he hit all the small bonus targets and the final stage Unknown distance which got him the win. He's been putting in time and it's showing. The drawing winners this month were Celia Callahan and Bob Ellwood. Next month I'm going to try and run both my regular match and the timed event at the same time. I'll post more info as it gets closer. I did have a shooter that only had ammo well above my $8.00/50 limit, I let them shoot but please stick to the price limit for my match. I did it for a reason, there are other matches with no limits but this is to keep it fair for everyone and scores show that ammo in the $8.00/50 can shoot well and win the match.

Did get to see the new prototype Curtis Action 22 conversion rifle shot by Dave Moore, he says it's getting pretty much figured out and hopefully will be ready to go to market soon. It shot well, not having perfect settings got him on a few targets but the gun looks and shot great.

All scores and placement were done by reverse count with some having to go back a few stages to find the placement. Every shot counts with the gamble targets causing competitors to really think before going for the extra points. Some placements changed after re-adding scores with a calculator.

The Gillian family came down to try the longrange game and I hope they had a good time. I think they did very well for not having settings for the longer distances. They were all three very good shooters and once we got them on for a distance they hit very well. They also run a paper shoot at Crawford Co. Sportsman Club at 3212 Biddle Rd. in Crestline OH. They have a posting on Ohio Precision Shooter on Facebook if you are interested.

Score Name Gun Scope Ammo The (1) or (2) show order of entries for when the shooter re-entered. A + shows the bonus stage hit. I hit it but since I kinda knew where it was it can't be counted :(

1. 89 Bill Nesbitt V-Gun NF SK Biathlon +
2. 87 Jim Lochary (2) V-Gun March SK Biathlon
3. 86 Dave Callipare (2) V-Gun NF SK Biathlon +
4. 86 Mike Moore (2) Anschutz Bushnell SK Biathlon
5. 85 Chris Kirkpatrick IZHMASH SWFA SK Biathlon +
6. 85 Dennis Kirkpatrick BSA Martine Int. Peep Sights SK Biathlon
7. 85 Dave Moore Curtis 22 Conversion NF SK Biathlon
8. 85 Dave Callipare (1) V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
9. 84 Randy Wise Anschutz Pistol NF SK Pistol +
10. 84 Jim Lochary (1) V-Gun March SK Biathlon
11. 83 Mike Moore (1) Anschutz Bushnell SK Biathlon
12. 83 Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March SK Biathlon
13. 83 Dan Bartok (2) Anschutz Burris Federal Ultra Match (over the price limit)
14. 83 Celia Callahan V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
15. 83 Cuda Gatten Schultz & Larsen falling block Peep Sights SK Biathlon
16. 82 Karen Marsh CZ Ultra Lux SWFA SK Biathlon +
17. 81 Jerry Gailraith CZ 455 NF SK Biathlon
18. 81 Erik Lochary Kimber Vortex SK Biathlon
19. 81 Dan Bartok (1) CZ Vortex Federal Ultra Match (over price limit) +
20. 80 John Schumacher Anschutz NF SK Biathlon
21. 79 Derrick Warren CZ 457 Vortex SK Longrange +
22. 78 Carl Duvall (2) CZ MTR SWFA SK Biathlon
23. 78 Rube Perkins 10/22 Kidd NF SK Biathlon
24. 77 Tom Cochran V-Gun Kahles SK Std. plus +
25. 77 Bob Ellwood Rem 40-X Athlon SK Biathlon
26. 76 Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA SK Biathlon
27. 76 Carl Duvall (1) CZ 457 MTR Vortex SK Biathlon
28. 76 Jerry Shaw H&R 12 SWFA SK Std.
29. 75 Ted Kernic H&R 12 Peep Sights Wolf (old)
30. 74 Bob Brown Rem 540-X Sightron SK Biathlon
31. 72 Cuda Gatten Schultz & Larsen 58 Peep Sights SK Biathlon +
32. 71 Butch McCort Rem 40-X Bushnell SK Biathlon
33. 70 Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA SK Biathlon
34. 69 Brian Gillian Jr. CZ 457 MTR Mueller Aguila
35. 65 Brian Gillian Sr. CZ 457 MTR Mueller Aguila
36. 54 Jen Guillian TC R22 Texas Precision Aguila

Topstrap