• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results Topstraps Sept Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
Well, one more shoot in the books. Not a big turnout, barely any local shooters participated but maybe a lot was going on so that's OK. I still had a great time watching everyone shoot, starting at 197 yards and working backwards thru the racks isn't is as easy as it sounds. No tweaking slightly as you work your way out and you also had to rethink where to use your 5 sighters. Weather was beautiful all 3 days, light wind and some overcast. Not gonna have many more like this before Winter hits.

I want to thank everyone for coming and Bob Brown for helping spend a lot of time spotting for the second shooter, he always does a great job and until you do it you can't realize the toll it takes on your eyes. He spotted a few relays before he shot and also a couple afterwards. Others also helped and it's greatly appreciated and helped keep things rolling along smoothly.

Chris has been a terror the last few matches here and other places shooting peep sights but decided to try shooting the regular targets the scoped guys shoot. Many are so tiny you can't see them without an optic but he wanted to give it a try just in case anyone thinks it's easy shooting 85 4moa targets from 25 to 197 yards. They definately do look a LOT smaller thru the aperatures than when looking downrange with the naked eye. Score may not be impressive but it was quite a feat hitting what he did. Want to add a new challenge to the game, go old school and get an old Peep Sight gun and come try it or use one of ours. I'll give you all the needed settings, just be ready to count clicks and try to keep track of where your at as you progress thru the stages.

The final match will be the second weekend (Oct 8th, 9th and 10th) and will be the timed event. I think it's the most fun match of the year. 100 rounds in a bowl, 20 minutes max time limit you run out of bullets or hit all the targets. You start at 25 yards and you have to hit every target as you progress. The smaller targets are switched out so most are really easy to hit, I only call a miss so you have to watch your own hits/misses. Score is calculated my rounds left over (if any) targets hit and time used to complete the course. It is all calculated together to give a final number. I might even put a bounty up for anyone that beats last years score and wins the match and upsets the reigning King.

On to the results, Bob Brown shot high score with his old Remington 540-X which shows you don't need the high dollar gun, he's always placed high with it, maybe it's the Indian/arrow and not the bow that works. I love seeing these old target guns being used, I wish more would try the peep sight course too. Bonus rack was splitting a bullet on the axe at 50 yards with 3 shots. Bob and I think one other got 3 and a few got 2 splits. Really tough target. Bob will get a free entry next month for being Top Dog this month.

The number (1) or (2) shows how many times they shot and which score was shot first. Ties were decided by reverse count.

1. 88 Bob Brown Rem 540-X Mueller Lapua Polar Bia. 3 bonus
2. 87 Mark Hall CZ 457 Vortex Viper Eley Match 2 bonus
3. 87 Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March Midas 1 bonus
4. 85 Matt Gallagher (1) CZ 457 Vortex Strike Eagle Eley Match 2 bonus
5. 83 Chris Kirkpatrick Anschutz 1413 Arken SK Bia 2 bonus
6. 82 Bill Nesbitt Vudoo NF Eley 1 bonus
7. 82 Dennis Kirkpatrick BSA Martini Int. Peep Sights SK Bia. 0 Bonus
8. 81 Bryan Pensis Ruger Precision Arken SK Longrange 0 Bonus
9. 81 Jim Lochary Vudoo NF SK Bia. 0 Bonus
10. 81 Derrick Warren Rem 513-T Peep Sights SK Longrange 0 Bonus
11. 81 Dustin Fletcher (1) CZ 457 Athlon ELey BR 0 Bonus
12. 80 Jerry Galbraith CZ 457 NF SK Bia. 0 Bonus
13. 80 Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA SK Bia. 0 Bonus
14. 79 Matt Gallagher CZ 457 Vortex Strike Eagle Eley Match 1 Bonus
15. 78 Mark Hall CZ 457 Vortex Viper SK Rifle Match 3 Bonus
16. 78 Phil Palmisano Anschutz 1700 Sporter SWFA Eley Team 1 Bonus
17. 78 Scott St.Clair Savage B22 Vortex Venom Eley 1 Bonus
18. 78 Kenny Arnold CZ 457 Vortex PST Center-X 0 Bonus
19. 78 Herman Crooks Rim-X NF Center-X 0 Bonus
20. 76 Rob Jackson H&R 12 SWFA Eley CMP 1 Bonus
21. 76 Cuda Gatten H&R 12 Peep Sights Aguilla 1 Bonus
22. 76 Dustin Fletcher (2) CZ 457 Athlon Eley Benchrest 0 Bonus
23. 75 Jerry Shaw H&R 12 SWFA SK Bia. 2 Bonus
24. 75 Tom Rayner Rem. 513-T NF SK Longrange 1 Bonus
25. 72 Mike Stewart Ruger Athlon Eley 0 Bonus
26. 71 Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA RWS 1 Bonus
27. 71 Matt Dillon Vudoo Athlon Wolf Match 0 Bonus
28. 70 Karen Marsh CZ Ultra-Lux SWFA CCI Std.
29. 67 Chris Kirkpatrick BSA Martini Int. Peep Sights SK Bia. 1 Bonus
30. 67 J J Tanner Ruger Precision Arken SK Longrange 0 Bonus
31. 61 Tom Emery CZ 457 SWFA Wolf 0 Bonus
Rangewithpeeptargetsnewest.jpg

Reactions: JKW70 and Cowpokey