• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Retical only?

G

The more I shoot UKD targets an movers with ever decreasing time constraints, the more I find myself useing the retical only out to 1K yds.

For those that shoot alot of UKD to 1K yds with a timer running, are you still knobing, or just shooting with the retical only?

Re: Retical only?

I use only reticle holdovers out to around 600 yards, based on the premise that most multiple-target engagements with time constraints involve targets within that distance range. I can shoot everything within that distance from a 100 yard zero.

Beyond that, I dial elevation.

Lindy,

The reason I ask the question was after watching "Top Shot" I was asking myself, it's a speed vs distance thing in the shoot off, why are they dialing at all, it's only 600yds?

Am I the last guy on the planet to self learn to shoot this way, or was my question not clear enough for everyone else?

Also, why is it, when a question is ask about real world shooting, it's just the same one to four known shooters that always respond? Back when the site was under 3K folks total, there was alot of folks that hung around the F/C section more than the Bear pit.
Seems now posting a Off Site Topic, garners more interest than want the site was started as/for.

Do I need more or less meds, as I don't understand whats happening to the Site anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, why is it, when a question is ask about real world shooting, it's just the same one to four known shooters that always respond?</div></div>

I found that as the site membership grew, people were quicker and quicker to "pounce" on an opinion or experience I shared. I didn't come here to argue. Fuck 'em. I can still shoot, read and learn without engaging in the BS.

Edited to add....
I've always been a big fan of hold overs. Dialing is a pain in the ass...especially in the dark.

I find myself using hold overs more and more. I've found it's much faster and and just as accurate as dialing dope. I actually tested this yesterday. I shot one round from the bench using hold overs and one dialing, then shot one round prone using hold overs and one dialing. The total spread for the four round group was .946" at 300yds. Good enough for my liking.

While my groups are larger useing just holds, unless it's a whole(IPHY) number, they are will within reason. The more I shoot this way the more I learn to just shoot the retical and hold the off set difference on the target, if it's a round scoring ring. When speed shooting for just plate hits only, I've cut my time way down, from where I started from.
Even been thinking about a new gas gun, with this same glass set up.
At my age, I need all the help I can get, to stay mid pack with the younger generation, while running around in the woods.

When time is a factor, I hold. If there isn't a time factor I will Dial. I really the ERK knob / MPR combo, I get the best of both worlds.
I shoot both ways enough to trust them and if I miss, I know I was the loose end.

hold offs / hold overs: now Hider's might start to understand why I use Horus Vision reticles, even if I have to settle for using them in a Horus Vision scope!

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg

I'm probably more like lindy. I'm more likely to hold over under 500y. I dial anything longer than that, but only elevation and never dial wind.

I'm fairly new to this, I've always dialed ele and wind, but I know most hold wind. I've been thinking of trying to hold wind like others. Am I understanding some of you hold ele and wind (out to 500 yards) without a Horus? Isn't there not a definitive aiming point, or that doesn't matter below 500? Thx.

See what your best with and work on your weak points so you can be proficient either way. My .02

there are other reticles that can give you definitive aiming points other than the horus. Without a definitive POA, how does one aim at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't there not a definitive aiming point, or that doesn't matter below 500?</div></div>

The way to get proficient at that is to practice - and remember that the horizontal crosshair is a reference.

I use hold-overs to 500 meters, but it depends on the size of the target: when shooting paper I dial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paper? Whazzat?
laugh.gif
</div></div>I tried going paperless, because everyone knows that the targets at RO are small, but after destroying my third I-phone I relented and printed out copies of the Sniper's Hide Dot Drill target.
laugh.gif

GF,

I find it variable. I can hold to 1K+ on multiple targets via the MDMOA if the range is known. 500 to 600 is about max for drop down take a SWAG and send it. 1st round hits drop off quickly percentage wise past 500 as does the ballistic curve. In general I figure I've got time to range and dial/hold if the target is 500+. Ranging is more important than dialing if you are proficient w/ your reticle.

If time vs accuracy is the motivation, only hits count.

You can't miss fast enough to loose a gunfight.

As to the Hide population.....I read more than I post now and rarely post more than once on a topic.

Cheers,

Doc

I learned the hard way recently (at my first match)
that it's easy to dial wrong in a time crunch, so I am working on proficiency using hold over's.

That Horus looks really busy though, think I need to look through one in person...

I still range first with the MDMOA, as marker size is known on all targets, then I shoot. With 45 seconds total to engage/hit a pistol target twice, holster a hot gun, find then shoot, two rds each, at 3 rifle targets between 225 an 700 yds I'm trying to cut all the un-needed motion I can. I'm about to the point I don't need to check my data card for <700 yds which saves a lot of time as does as not dialing anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.......... after watching "Top Shot" I was asking myself, </div></div>

why the hell are these jackoffs getting facetime and potential money when they seem to suck??

Oh, that's what I was thinking, sorry.

I like to dial if I have the time, but as you asked-under time constraints I dial for the mover (if there is one) and hold over/under from there, in the absence of a mover I hold within 600

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still range first with the MDMOA, as marker size is known on all targets, then I shoot. With 45 seconds total to engage/hit a pistol target twice, holster a hot gun, find then shoot, two rds each, at 3 rifle targets between 225 an 700 yds I'm trying to cut all the un-needed motion I can. I'm about to the point I don't need to check my data card for <700 yds which saves a lot of time as does as not dialing anything. </div></div>

I dunno I can rip 3 rounds off pretty accurately in 10 seconds. 2 pistol is another 5 - 10 seconds w/ a flop down. If the targets are the same size you can game it to some degree and have a card handy for range/dope. 25 seconds is a long time to see "12, 6, 4" and look down and go "3, 7, 14" (my dope/my rifle a$$uMEd 18" plate). The first being held at the top of the plate no matter what (unless inside 100 yds, or outside 500).

Cut the variables, minimize the error, execute the shot.

Cheers,

Doc