• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle Importance

Win223

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2020
Alaska
Evaluating what kind of glass to put on my first LR rifle, which will be in 6.5CM. Still wobbling back and forth between going factory vs custom (maybe Bighorn), but whatever I shoose for the gun, I want to put some quality glass on it. I'd like to stay under $1500 on the scope.

I'm not going to be competing, this rig will be for hunting, target shooting, and just trying to build good marksmanship fundamentals. Most of my hunting is for caribou, so I cover some miles. I'm not looking to go ultralight, 10-12 lbs is fine, but no need to carry unnecessary weight either.

The Cronus BTR has caught my eye, particularly right now with the sale price at Cameraland. A Leupold Mark5 is also calling out to me, probably the 3-18x44. There's one in the PX that I'm eyeballing. I'm guessing the glass, durability and overall quality on the Leupold is going to exceed that of the Cronus, but the reticle options are tripping me up. The Cronus has some pretty clean christmas tree reticles, while the Mark5 has the Tremor3, which has a lot going on, to say the least.

I want to develop the skills to be effective using the mil dot holds, as well as dialing. All my previous scopes have just been cheap duplex deer hunting scopes. It the Tremor3 just too complex for a hunting setup, especially for someone new to long range? From what I've gathered, the Leupold is really a nice scope, but there is some grumbling about the reticles. In reality, either the Leupold or the Cronus is going to seem amazing compared to what I'm used to, but am I making a mistake passing on the Leupold if there isn't much difference in price, just because of the reticle?

Just to head off the Vortex comments: I know the gen 2 razor exists, and that a lot of people love it, and it might be the best scope in my range dollar for dollar. But, it's just too heavy.

I’m not sure if a Burris xtriii comes in at that price. It’s probably close.

Or wait until the new leupold reticle releases soon. It’s a less messy cch reticle.

I personally don’t care for the more messy reticles. The simpler it is the easier I can spot misses and less likely I am to get lost in it. I have not used the specific options you are considering. If you did want a vortex razor the 6-24 AMG is pretty light and generally well regarded.

I had a cronus(210111) sold and bought a nightforce nx8. The difference is about $600. Nf is lighter and little better glass clarity to my eye. I loved the center dot on cronus, but like less congestion with nx8 xtmil reticle. It was a hard choice for me, but what the heck, something better will be out there that's the beauty of competition:)

The XTR3 Is definitely a solid option at that price point. The 3.3-18×50 can be had at that price. The 5.5-30×56 wpuld run a little more.

Side by side against the scooes you.listed I bet you would love that Burris...

If this is your first "long range" gun, and you are shooting a 6.5 CM, you will want a quality scope, and you want a reticle that you will enjoy. Tremor 3 is a bit busy. It has its own following. I personally like it, but it is not for everyone, and you will pay roughly $350 more for the Horus license, so I would recommend you look at another reticle.

For the money, the Cronos is a nice pick. Leupole Mark 5 is a nice pick as well. Athlon has a following here. It is a niche brand, but one that is high quality and lower price points.

The Leupold is solid. My only compaint is you pay a lot for an illuminated reticle. In the 3-18x, you should look at the TMR and illuminated TMR. Again, large jump for illumniation. TMR is clean, and well proven.

I would probably encourage you to push you budget a little. With a bolt gun, the most important choice is action, then scope, and then barrel, or maybe barrel and scope are even. You have probably heard the rule of thumb, that is sort of true: 50% of your spend is on the rifle and 50% on the scope. We happen to have two very nice Cadex 6.5 CM rifles in stock, and I have the budget stock and the high-end world class chassis rifle. Both 24" barrels, I have them posted in the Cadex Vendor forum. You can compare, while you are at it. I am trying my best to educate and not to sell, but I cannot pass-up the opportunity for you to learn about Cadex if you are still shopping. :cool:

If you push your scope budget up a little closer to $2,000, I would have you look at the Nightforce 2.5-20x (NX8), which is new this year, and is one of the most popular scopes. It is hard to argue with 8x magnifcation, and you will not need more than 20x with 6.5 CM. Somewhere in that 15x to 20x maxiumum power is your sweet spot. WIth the Nightforce, staying in mil (my recommendation, but MOA is also fine), the Mil-C reticle is going to be similar, but improved upon the Leupold TMR. Very clean, easy to learn. If you like the T3 style, the Mil-XT from NF has been very popular, and without the Horus license cost.

On Vortex, the Gen III 1-10x is probably the most popular scope and priced in the same range as the NX8, but you will want more than 10x. I only point this out, because someone might mention it. It is better fittted to tactical gas gun, as it has a very easy eyebox. But, the Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18x is a good scope, again closer to $2k The reticle is the EBR-7C, which compares to NF Mil-XT.

I recommend you take your time and read. From what you have said, I really think the cleaness of the Leupold TMR or the Nightforce Milx-C is going to fit you better than the Christmas tree style, but those issues are very personal.

If I can help, happy to chat. We also sell Leupold and Nightforce and Vortex, and would be happy to talk about a purchase as well your Cadex.

A factor that should come into play is durability for the conditions you'll be shooting in.