• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle off centered?

Deo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Hey guys, I just got my replacement WOTAC this week. After mounting the scope I look through it and notice that the reticle looks a little bit off centered. I'm not sure if it's just me though. A little bit hard to tell in the pictures, but what do you think?

dsc00617a.jpg

dsc00618i.jpg

Re: Reticle off centered?

Did you just mount it the way it came back to you? Did you try centering it either by counting both directions and finding middle of put it in vblocks and finding true center by rotating it and centing it in the tube? It might be just where they left it after assembly.

At least a place to start looking for explanation.

Topstrap

I optically zeroed it before I mounted it, then I mounted it and looked through it and noticed this.

If the reicle is off center (indeed hard to tell from the pictures) this has nothing to do with the erector being centered or not. I tried to explain this here. The setup with the reticle mounted on the front of the erector is called a "centered" reticle" after all, it's simply a matter of whether the reticle was installed correctly during assembly.

Unfortunately I don't think I can get you much better of a picture then those. If it is off centered it is VERY slightly off. I phoned Matt and he said they checked it so now I really don't know. If it was slightly off would that be a big deal? Would I get dramatic errors in my shots at longer ranges?

Make sure the scope is level on the rifle and then check it against an object known to be true (weight hung from string, etc.). If rifle/scope are level and the reticle aligns with your "true verticle" item, the reticle should stay on the object as the elevation turret is cranked.

Well, I went out and shot it this afternoon. I ran it through the box and it tracked well. I did have some trouble sighting it in but that's because I mucked it up a bit.

Overall the thing seems to work fine, although I am having a real hard time getting the reticle to focus on the background. No matter where I have the parallax at, or where I have the Diopter ring set at it's never truly focused. The only way I can get it clear is with both eyes open and a slightly blurry target, as well as stretched edges. I will have to take it back again and fiddle with it some more before I can confirm anything though.

Either way Matt told me I can get another replacement if need be, but whether or not I need to cause him and me that hassle again (and the shipping/duty charges) I am not sure.

Any Ideas on the focusing issue?

Also I did use a plum line to level the reticle with the rifle leveled also.

It definitely measures as off-centered (to the left) at this end.

Damn... Now is this just a cosmetic issue? Or will it be a problem at longer ranges? Since I'm in Canada I'd have to wait another 3 weeks and pay another 25$ duty charge plus the shipping on Matt's end for a replacement. Should I have it replaced?

Absolutlely have it replaced. It seems to be bothering you quite a bit and the peace of mind of getting a proper scope is well worth the $25. Any way that's what I would do.

Try this:
Set up a tall piece of paper at 100yrds, I use a big silhouette target reversed on the backer. Draw a vertical line with a sharpie and a 4' level, and put a target dot at the bottom of you line. Zero the rifle, level the crosshairs to the line, and put one shot on the dot. Dial up your elevation one complete turn, and put another on the dot. Dial up another turn, shoot again. Your shots should be on the line you drew, and should measure what ever 1 turn of your turret value is apart. My VXIII is 15" per turn. If your tracking off the line, you need to rotate the scope in the rings until your bore centerline intersects the scope centerline.
Good luck!