• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle opinions on the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x

protoolsnerd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2011
South Florida
Hi Everyone
After a lot of research and testing and cost to value analysis i've chosen the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x scope for my dedicated 3 gun AR . The only thing i'm not sure of what to choose would be the reticle. Originally they only had the JM which was a BDC reticle based on a load that Jerry shoots . Now they offer it in mil and mrad . The precision shooter in me says GET THE MRAD but i could also tune my load a little to match the JM BDC reticle .

Anyone with experience with either or both let me know what you think. I know really i can't go wrong with either , but your perspective would really help . Thanks

Aaron S

First off, great choice! The precision shooter in me also was hesitant to use a BDC reticle like the JM-1 but after using it for the past year I have come to really like it. For this scope it works perfectly. Very easy as you don't have to tune the load to the reticle but just use your load and adjust the lines on the reticle for your load. With my 55grns load the reticle is right on but with my 75grn load the center is a 50/200 zero as usual, first line instead of 300 is 285, 400 is 375, 500 is 475. And knowing how to use a reticle for holds it makes using it on in between shots easy.

The mil reticle will work just fine as well but I have grown to really like the BDC JM-1.

Fedex man paid me a visit yesterday and dropped off my razor 1-6 with MRAD reticle. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. But I'm going to mount it and go shoot it after work. Just looking at it though, I am impressed.

Like rob said, i think it's more important to just learn which lines work with your load. For instance 1st line for me will be 280, 2nd will be 390, 3rd will be 475.

I'm relatively new to the higher end optics and decisions between mil/mil and moa/moa, but I did order the Vortex Razor with JM reticle. I haven't had the time to get outside to use it yet, but will do so this week. I'll post back and put in my 02 cents...

What is the significance of the width on the JM BDC? Are those to help with ranging? It was not apparent to me why these taper down. It would be cool if it was more ACOG BDC like. I am sure I am missing something....

Not sure on the width. I like how the lines gets smaller as it covers less on the longer range targets. Not exactly the scope I would be ranging anything with. The JM-1 is made for fast shooting without much thinking. Basic 3 gun shooting.

Thanks everyone , i really appreciate it . I may be able to get a serious deal on with a JM reticle so that may be the one i shoot anyway. I just didn't want to get pigeonholed into a scope that may not be the best for the job. I'm def a huge vortex fan and i've seen the glass on this scope. For the price point , it's by far the best and almost on par with scopes 2x the price.

Rob is right on, fast shooting where the distances usually are known and if they aren't you're just walking it in.

Rob what mount do you have yours in?

I have mine in a Warne RAMP but some advice if you don't have a mono rail on your AR to get a mount that has a good offset as the eye relief is very generous in this scope.

Beautiful seekins build Rob. I'm going to mounting it in an American Defense cantilever mount for just that reason. Going with the JM reticle and a switch view .

I love seekins' gear as well . That comp is one of the best i've used to date in terms of controlling muzzle flip. Perhaps a slight bit more felt recoil then a standard brake , but infinitely more shootable

What do you think of the weight of the upper ? i love their hand guard with the flat bottom for resting on barricades and things . I may end up going carbon arms carbon fiber octagonal though . I'm doing this new build and i want to make it a lightweight 16" build that has the right specs to shoot out to 400 and stabilize the heavier bullets. No prob for a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 16" barrel. Going to mess around with low mass operating systems and a ultra low mass buffer system from Taccom. I think those in combination with a nice brake that is more centered around muzzle flip mitigation then recoil control , i may end up with a very very fast target acquiring rifle that can still connect long range .

I know the whole issue is the rifle length gas system versus a 16" with a middy system. But hopefully with some tinkering I'll get the best of both worlds .

Any thoughts on that ?

The Vortex 1-6x is a winner. The glass is super bright, big eye box, RD is very daylight visible.

The JM reticle is fine, honestly, how much ranging will you be doing with this type of scope and the type of rifle you would put it on.

Best part, Eurooptic/SWFA/other Hide vendors can have one in your hand in a couple of days. Vortex seems very cool about returns or repairs.

This scope is a no-brainer. GL.

Beautiful seekins build Rob. I'm going to mounting it in an American Defense cantilever mount for just that reason. Going with the JM reticle and a switch view .

I love seekins' gear as well . That comp is one of the best i've used to date in terms of controlling muzzle flip. Perhaps a slight bit more felt recoil then a standard brake , but infinitely more shootable

What do you think of the weight of the upper ? i love their hand guard with the flat bottom for resting on barricades and things . I may end up going carbon arms carbon fiber octagonal though . I'm doing this new build and i want to make it a lightweight 16" build that has the right specs to shoot out to 400 and stabilize the heavier bullets. No prob for a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 16" barrel. Going to mess around with low mass operating systems and a ultra low mass buffer system from Taccom. I think those in combination with a nice brake that is more centered around muzzle flip mitigation then recoil control , i may end up with a very very fast target acquiring rifle that can still connect long range .

I know the whole issue is the rifle length gas system versus a 16" with a middy system. But hopefully with some tinkering I'll get the best of both worlds .

Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks. I really like the Seekins rifle alot. I have never weighed it but it does weigh a little more than some but I will take the flat bottom stability over saving a few ounces. Coming from throwing around a 17-18 pound precision rifle at comps the Seekins is no problem and between that and the muzzle brake it barely moves.

Sounds like a good build. The Seekins has their low mas bolt carrier and it works good. Never really messed with rifle vs mid length gas systems but you could always get an adjustable gas block and tune it.

I have mine in a Warne RAMP but some advice if you don't have a mono rail on your AR to get a mount that has a good offset as the eye relief is very generous in this scope.

I had to go with the Larue LT 139 for my Razor. It was the only way I could get enough eye relief. It's a very fast scope and I was worried about it being a MOA scope since my other Razor is Mil but, for 3gun, MOA isn't a problem. During a match you really don't have time to range. Sight it in for 200 yards, as the directions say, then check the holdovers. Most of the long range shooting in 3gun has always been holding top edge of steel for holdover and edge of steel for wind call for me.

That's really a killer 3 gun rifle. I'm going with lighter and faster for mine . So i'm seeing what i can get away with in a 16" barrel. There's a new one by VOODOO that has a rifle length gas system, but i worry about lockup time and reliability

I have the Vortex RZ 1-6x24mm with the JM-1 BDC Reticle, now that they have the MOA and the MRAD reticles I my go to the MRAD myself. There are better 1-6x scopes out there but the Vortex RZR is does a great job.

522503_518563871519464_1558907890_n.jpg

Here is a link to the Vortex HD scopes.