• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle thickness on Nightforce F1?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I've been thinking about picking up an F1. I can't find anything on Nightforce's site about the reticle thickness though! Is it the standard .05 mil? I am looking at both the mil dot and the MLR.

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: Reticle thickness on Nightforce F1?

NF F1 mil dot
OD - .25 mil
Line thickness - .113 MOA

NF F1 MLR
Line thickness - .25 MOA
Full mil hash - .2 mil
Half mil hash - .14 mil
N and E hashes - .1 mil
N and E hash spacing - .2 mil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF F1 mil dot
OD - .25 mil
Line thickness - .113 MOA

NF F1 MLR
Line thickness - .25 MOA
Full mil hash - .2 mil
Half mil hash - .14 mil
N and E hashes - .1 mil
N and E hash spacing - .2 mil </div></div>Cool. So the reticle really is twice as thick on the MLR? I think I'd pick up the mil dot then. I haven't had a problem with S&B's P4f reticle at .035 mil, and .113 moa is just barely smaller than that, by my calculations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id go MLR. JMHO </div></div>Not if it is .25 moa line thickness. .25 moa is about .7 mil. .5 mil in my Hensoldt seems too thick as it is, nevermind a .7 mil reticle!

It's what I got from Ken@NF in an email. I have the MLR personally, but based on the info he gave me I'd rather have the mil dot as well.

And in case anyone's wondering what N and E are for...it's just something I use to describe parts of the reticle. And if Bob didn't quote me, I'd edit it=). The top part and far left of the MLR reticle have small hashes. Those are .2 mils apart, and .1 mil high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob,

To my eye the MLR appears to be between the P4F and P4

C </div></div>If that were the case and could be shown on paper before I purchased, I would be interested in this reticle.

I think as far as the reticles go. I looked through both F1's before deciding on the mil-dot. Maybe it is just me, but at 3.5-5 the reticle is really hard to see on the MLR, I could find it, but then had to concentrate more on the reticle than the target. At 10x and up they both look great, but if you are just going to use the higher magnification on the scope then it defeats the purpose of the F1.

The mildot i could see fairly well and i learned how to range with it. I do agree that it is somewhat of an old design (I really like the gen II mildot), but it works and becomes second nature when you read it after a while.

For a F1 I recommend getting the MIL-DOT over the MLR. In the F1 at about 10x I have a hard time seeing the 1/2mil lines, at 8x is can make out the full mil lines but they are hard to see also. If you are looking at getting the SFP NF then I would recommend getting the MLR. I really like the MLR in the SFP NF scopes.

Mike @ CST

Damn, I wish I could look through a few of these. I always have to BUY them to look through them.

.25 moa is .07 mils, NOT .7mils. At 1000 yards, it's 2.5", quite a bit. 1/4" at 100 yards is not so much, but maybe it is considering people are reporting shooting 1/4" groups now.

On my second focal plane NP-R1 line thickness is .062 which is 1/16th of an inch at 100 yards and 5/8ths of an inch at 1000 yards.