• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle Travel within the Scope

SLVGW360

Sneed :)
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
South Central Colorado
OK, my OCD is getting the best of me, as I am the sort who needs to understand how things work. When I don't, it drives me nuts.

To that end, I would like to quarry the brain trust here in regards to reticle travel. For example in terms of elevation adjustment, if you want to bring the bullet impact up for a shot beyond you zero distance, why is it that the erector is brought up in relation to the internal dimensions of the scope? In my mind, this would make the line of sight more parallel to the line of bore and not what you would want. I presume you would want to increase the angle of convergence between the lines of sight and bore, not reduce it. Now I understand that the target image enters the scope upside down. Is it this optical phenomenon that is being exploited with the reticle inside the erector assembly to make the reticle appear to move down in relation to the target image? I am a little confused so I wanted to ask here.

Any help explaining this is appreciated.

RB

Now I understand that the target image enters the scope upside down. Is it this optical phenomenon that is being exploited with the reticle inside the erector assembly to make the reticle appear to move down in relation to the target image?B

Yes. You are "scanning" the upside down image in the first focal plane with the erector so to speak. Move the erector up (physically) to point the reticle at a lower point on (upside down) target. this will cause you to raise the reticle up to your target (together with the gun this time) and thus result in a higher POI on target.