• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Retirement rifle suggestions

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Winding down next year(retiring after 30 years of 6 days a week, 10-12hour work days), sooooo great excuse to indulge in a new toy. Thinking about an AI/AX in 308 (couldn't talk myself into 300WM, I don't like loading for it, more expense, no realistic use for it, yadayada). So what scope mount if I splurge and go whole hog for a Tangent Theta scope to go with new rifle??? I tend to put scopes on my rifle and leave them there. I like scopes as low as possible, long rail on AX would seem to lead to higher rings needed than on an AT. Thanks for any kind recommendations. I've looked at the AI picture thread but can't recognize many of the mounts.

Have a great New Year!:D

tac ops

get one with something special for yourself, engraving, etc.

if AI, call milehigh or euro and ask them what mounts work best with intended scope

Here is a link to mile high’s website about this topic.

Just a note, if you have no need for the forend pic rail, you can remove it and mount the scope lower. Having said that, the AX is very comfy and has plenty of adjustability to accomodate the rail and large scopes.

I think most would recommend the spuhr mounts as being the nicest of the nice. I believe mile high will color match the mount to your AX for a very reasonable price as well.

https://www.milehighshooting.com/spuhr-will-it-fit/

With all long rail rifles the scopes sit high..so much for innovation.
but a AX with a SPUHR is what i have on both AXMC and AX308 (im actually in the process of swithing all my mounts to SPUHR one piece).
wonderful combination, the AX chassis has so many adjustments that you wont notice.
i have a tac ops as well and they are pieces of perfection, but i cant just buy a barrel and ups is to have a "new" toy.

I have 2 308', a Ruger Precision Rifle and an LMT MWS. At 70, purchased a 300 Winchester Magnum. Does everything a 308 does, with gusto. With a chassis and muzzle break, minimum felt recoil. Can close to double the capabilities of 308. Hornady 200 grain ELD X with 626 BC and chronographed velocity out of a 24 inch barrel of 2850 fps. Recommend you reconsider .

I like your idea of the AIAX .308, though I would consider getting either a .243 or a 6.5 Creedmore barrel to go with it. This is the scope I would put on it.

https://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-pmii-3-27x56-l-p-lt-h59-ffp-1-mrad-ccw-black.aspx

I would probably just order an American Rifle Company mount to go with it unless I needed one of the SPUHR features like the ability to scab a Aimpoint onto the side.

When you are ready to make the purchase email a company like Europptic and ask them for their best price on the package you want. Decide if you want a drag bag a hard case or both.

https://www.eurooptic.com/tactical-operations-drag-bag-large-multi-cam-fits-rifles-up-to-51ft.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/accuracy-...plastic-fitted-for-aw-rifle-green-6186gr.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/AI-N00603-M1-Accuracy-International-AI-Long-rifle-bag-Multic.aspx

Don't forget to order as many mags as you are going to need. Some of those items are good margin for the vendor and they are often motivated to offer an attractive discount on a package where if you are ordering a individual item later you will have to pay the full price.

I have 2 308', a Ruger Precision Rifle and an LMT MWS. At 70, purchased a 300 Winchester Magnum. Does everything a 308 does, with gusto. With a chassis and muzzle break, minimum felt recoil. Can close to double the capabilities of 308. Hornady 200 grain ELD X with 626 BC and chronographed velocity out of a 24 inch barrel of 2850 fps. Recommend you reconsider .

I gave this a lot of thought. #1I can shoot out to 600yds anytime I want to drive 30mins. Shooting beyond that is a catch as catch can thing.#2 Reloading for 308 I can do this without much trouble.Loading 300 WinMag , which I do for my hunting rifle, is a lot more challenging. For starts, I love Lapua brass. None available in 300 WinMag, so bigger headache in getting consistently good brass. Concluded not enough extra fun for all the extra $. Setting up for going from 300WM to 308 size cases was another $4000Cdn when the dust settled, so the flexibility benefit was pretty slim in my world. thanks for the input though. You would be glad to know my son would like me to get the 338 Lapua size rifle though. Caveat, Dad would be buying the ammo/brass/powder etc.

I would strongly urge you to consider a smaller caliber. Considerably less recoil, less cost reloading, and better ballistics. Either a 6br or a 6.5x47. Both offer Lapua brass and phenominal accuracy as well as being possibly the easiest calibers to load for. Under 600 there is no more accurate cal than the 6br

After that, I would not go AI. I would pick an American company that does top notch work. Either (preferably) a company that does everything in house.

I would recommend 3 companies with stellar records to build your rifle. You worked your whole life, you deserve a one off custom rifle, not a box brand foreign company rifle...imho

KMW - Kelbly - Surgeon

GL
DT

While I have always hunted (300WM too), I got into shooting rifles when I semi-retired six years ago. Due to general overall application the first purchase was a 308, but it is shot very seldom now. For general practice out to 1000yd I like a 223, and for serious shooting a 6.5x47. Surprisingly the drops are nearly the same for the 223 until right at 1000yd, and as you would expect the wind is the killer. While the 308 is a good general purpose round it would be first to go if necessary. And the 6.5 ballistics are better out to a mile than my 300WM shooting 185 hunter loads. Just saying you may want to think a little more about a 308 vs other options that are ballistically superior.

i love my 6BR but they dont feed from mags well if at all in most rifles, but if you are at a bench loading one at a time it is truly a wonderful round. you can also get loaded ammo from lapua at a reasonable price that will shoot in the 2-3's in a good rifle.
if you roll your own get some flat base bullets and you will make little cloverleafs regularly.
i used to think that customs were worth the money but after having AI's for a while i changed my mind (unless the chassis doesnt fit you or the weight is not right etc).
i grew tired of waiting for specialized parts guns (they all use the same barrels, actions, and triggers) when i could just order it, get it in the mail and shoot by the weekend.
and when you need a repair or a new barrel if you dont send it to the same smith you now have a expensive rifle that is not "original/OEM".
every thread you see is a "should i get a custom or a AI...", you never see threads should i get builder A or builder B.