• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review: MK Machining Improved Grip for KRG W3

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
BACKGROUND - see here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/modifying-chassis-grip-how.7117184/

BACKGROUND TL;DR
Ok you lazy bastard, FINE. Don't read linked thread.
Spoon-feed info: I love my W3. Except for the thumb rest position and the finger-to-trigger distance (FTTD). Glove size: I have medium-to-large hands.

I read this thread and mediated next to the river: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/kmw-sentinel-stocks.6971076/.

I dwelled upon the design of the MPA trigger finger-bump.

I then penned the thread at the top of this post; Tyler said he just needed somebody to send in a chassis for a 3D scan.

Here's my awesome drawing:

new.jpeg

$100 bux later, I UPS'd the chassis in to MKM last April, and Tyler and his team went to work. They are busy, so they just barely got it done for my July prairie dog shoot, but Fedex delivers to the middle of nowhere so all was good.

About me
I shoot prairie dogs and other smaller ground squirrels/“gophers” (yeah, PDs are ground squirrels too. Weird, huh? And our “gophers” are actually Richardson's ground squirrels).

I have attempted, and failed, to bag some crows and gray tree squirrels during their respective seasons. I am considering branching out to coyotes. I am not a PRS shooter, but like to optimize my setups waaaaay too much. I bench 110lbs, have one bow kill, and work with plaster of Paris.

Enough Sniper's Hide inside jokes! Tyler said to lay it out in a review, so here we go. Due to time pressure, I'll add to this review slowly vs all at once.

(>>>REMEMBER THIS IS A PROTOTYPE GRIP<<<)

PICS FIRST DAMNIT

HipstamaticPhoto-679623966.632547.JPG

HipstamaticPhoto-679624041.871236.JPG

HipstamaticPhoto-679623953.825194.JPG

HipstamaticPhoto-679623997.161517.JPG

HipstamaticPhoto-679624098.251946.JPG

HipstamaticPhoto-679624104.850779.JPG

QUICK NOTES, GRIP
  • It's a prototype grip, not finished
  • It's made of some stuff that is super-tough and different than regular 3D printed material
  • The grip adds material on the front, which brings your middle, ring, & pinkie fingers further forward. This helps relax and position your hand to squeeze the trigger at 90º
  • The grip I got was smaller on the left and had a nice palm swell for the right and feels substantial
  • The "index finger bump" is optional* but REALLY helps that 90º squeeze, at least for this fool
  • It allows the thumb to fall way further forward than stock. The stock location always felt like I was thumbing a ride with Cheech and Chong.
  • I sanded down a part of the finger bump for comfort
  • It has a slight texture to it (me like)
  • The fit on the chassis is pretty good, not perfect. It’s a prototype.
  • LOTS OF DETAILS ARE UNDETERMINED for the final production version. Things like texture, etc. But I don't think they'll all have a thumb shelf on both sides.

QUICK NOTES, MAGWELL
  • It's a prototype too, I believe**
  • Made of more regular 3D printed-type of material vs the Adamantium-like wonder polymer of the grip
  • Works well and looks cool, serves as a barricade stop (but I have no barricades ha)
  • Turns my W3 into a Vision chassis lookalike, sorta. The W3 should’ve been designed like this from the get-go.

QUICK NOTES, RIFLE
Rem 700 .204, KRG Whiskey 3 chassis (6th gen), KRG optional aluminum arca forend, Near Mfg pic rail, Bix n' Andy TacSport Pro trigger

SUMMARY (details later)
Everything pretty much rocks. Especially after I sanded the bottom of the the index finger bump. Magwell helps guide mags and looks cool. Tyler of MKM does some impeccable work. I told him it has really transformed the chassis for me. Super comfy. So much so that I need to get a thumb rest for my AIAX as now that sort of feels like ass lol. Goddamnit I just had to work in a mention of my AI; I am a sad sad man.

Footnotes
* INDEX FINGER BUMP: The way it's designed is that It's supposed to bolt on, but MKM forgot the bolts, so I bought some epoxy and glued it on there. It's a prototype, remember, and I'm gonna send it back for scanning.

** MAGWELL: MKM forgot the bolts on this one too lol, but they are too awesome for me to care. I used some old KRG bolts I had laying around. It seems to be designed to use smaller bolts that would sit flush.

P.S. Forgive me my big rubber squeeze-on bolt knob and Hipstamatic camera app ok boomer lol

Last edited:
Ok, so here's the second part of my review.

The only thing I didn't like is that the trigger finger bump-out hung down a little too far. So I sanded a part of it off, but I think I may have sanded off a bit too much. A little hanging down is ok as it provides a consistent vertical reference "stop" for your hand.

HipstamaticPhoto-679368009.126083 2.JPG

After sanding…
IMG_9814 2.JPG
IMG_9812 2.JPG

I think I could've sanded half of what I did and that would've been perfect. As it is now, if I place my hand on the grip as far up as I can my trigger finger is a little too high. I then have to slide my hand down a little bit. Perhaps MKM should leave it long and instruct people to sand to fit???

I was going to expound upon my first post, but I think I've said it all. This grip MADE the chassis for me. I think few manufacturers really think about the index finger-to-trigger interface (especially looking at you, Manners & McMillan lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2 and Milf Dots
BACKGROUND - see here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/modifying-chassis-grip-how.7117184/

BACKGROUND TL;DR
Ok you lazy bastard, FINE. Don't read linked thread.
Spoon-feed info: I love my W3. Except for the thumb rest position and the finger-to-trigger distance (FTTD). Glove size: I have medium-to-large hands.

I read this thread and mediated next to the river: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/kmw-sentinel-stocks.6971076/.

I dwelled upon the design of the MPA trigger finger-bump.

I then penned the thread at the top of this post; Tyler said he just needed somebody to send in a chassis for a 3D scan.

Here's my awesome drawing:

View attachment 7923973

$100 bux later, I UPS'd the chassis in to MKM last April, and Tyler and his team went to work. They are busy, so they just barely got it done for my July prairie dog shoot, but Fedex delivers to the middle of nowhere so all was good.

About me
I shoot prairie dogs and other smaller ground squirrels/“gophers” (yeah, PDs are ground squirrels too. Weird, huh? And our “gophers” are actually Richardson's ground squirrels).

I have attempted, and failed, to bag some crows and gray tree squirrels during their respective seasons. I am considering branching out to coyotes. I am not a PRS shooter, but like to optimize my setups waaaaay too much. I bench 110lbs, have one bow kill, and work with plaster of Paris.

Enough Sniper's Hide inside jokes! Tyler said to lay it out in a review, so here we go. Due to time pressure, I'll add to this review slowly vs all at once.

PICS FIRST DAMNIT

View attachment 7923929

View attachment 7923935

View attachment 7923928

View attachment 7923934

View attachment 7923943

View attachment 7923945

QUICK NOTES, GRIP
  • It's a prototype grip, not finished
  • It's made of some stuff that is super-tough and different than regular 3D printed material
  • The grip adds material on the front, which brings your middle, ring, & pinkie fingers further forward. This helps relax and position your hand to squeeze the trigger at 90º
  • The grip I got was smaller on the left and had a nice palm swell for the right and feels substantial
  • The "index finger bump" is optional* but REALLY helps that 90º squeeze, at least for this fool
  • It allows the thumb to fall way further forward than stock. The stock location always felt like I was thumbing a ride with Cheech and Chong.
  • I sanded down a part of the finger bump for comfort
  • It has a slight texture to it (me like)
  • The fit on the chassis is pretty good, not perfect. It’s a prototype.
  • LOTS OF DETAILS ARE UNDETERMINED for the final production version. Things like texture, etc. But I don't think they'll all have a thumb shelf on both sides.

QUICK NOTES, MAGWELL
  • It's a prototype too, I believe**
  • Made of more regular 3D printed-type of material vs the Adamantium-like wonder polymer of the grip
  • Works well and looks cool, serves as a barricade stop (but I have no barricades ha)
  • Turns my W3 into a Vision chassis lookalike, sorta. The W3 should’ve been designed like this from the get-go.

QUICK NOTES, RIFLE
Rem 700 .204, KRG Whiskey 3 chassis (6th gen), KRG optional aluminum arca forend, Near Mfg pic rail, Bix n' Andy TacSport Pro trigger

SUMMARY (details later)
Everything pretty much rocks. Especially after I sanded the bottom of the the index finger bump. Magwell helps guide mags and looks cool. Tyler of MKM does some impeccable work. I told him it has really transformed the chassis for me. Super comfy. So much so that I need to get a thumb rest for my AIAX as now that sort of feels like ass lol. Goddamnit I just had to work in a mention of my AI; I am a sad sad man.

Footnotes
* INDEX FINGER BUMP: The way it's designed is that It's supposed to bolt on, but MKM forgot the bolts, so I bought some epoxy and glued it on there. It's a prototype, remember, and I'm gonna send it back for scanning.

** MAGWELL: MKM forgot the bolts on this one too lol, but they are too awesome for me to care. I used some old KRG bolts I had laying around. It seems to be designed to use smaller bolts that would sit flush.

P.S. Forgive me my big rubber squeeze-on bolt knob and Hipstamatic camera app ok boomer lol
Wonderful. You may have seen where I and some others worked w Tyler to make a revised grip for JAE to bring the grip front strap forward and more vertical and incorporate a thumb shelf on the side.

I sent him a chassis as did yourself and the result is wonderful.

Although I see the traditional definition of LOP to have some applicability to these type of rifles, I do think position of the shooting hand and distance from grip to trigger shoe to be extremely important. To this end, I do see that MDT has incorporated a handful of diff grip configs to their upcoming rerelease of the JAE. sadly, they are not going to be backward compatible w OG JAEs.

I really do strongly believe that all chassis manf should address adaptability of firing hand grip in their designs. Failing to do so is just missing the boat but it’s good for MKM grip sales. :cool:

Well hello all, and thank you for this post! We spent quite a bit of time getting the ergonomics to feel "right", and I am pleased with the results.

There are a ton of these chassis out there, and I think it's a no brainer that many folks will be slapping these on.

We've got a bit of "wrapping up" to do for ease of manufacture and aesthetics, but I anticipate selling these in September.

Also did a cheekpiece, magwell (pictured) and modified bag rider for the Whiskey chassis. If there are more requests, I'm all ears for what to make!

Grip looks good, I'll definitely be getting one.

Deets on the cheekpiece? Interested to see what was done to improve that

I just stumbled into this thread. I'm also in the process of building my first bolt rig. Stock/chassis is the last part I have yet to decide on and this is a big plus for the Whiskey and X Ray ( I imagine it's cross compatible ) platform since the grip was one of my concerns versus a Xylo.

I'll be keeping an eye on this since I have to wait on my barrel.

I have a stock on a PSS700 in 7mm mag where the trigger hand thumb sits just like that.
Every f'n time I shoot the thing it either splits my thumbnail with the safety lever.....or rips it clean off :eek:
Suggestion....
Make that thumb rest removable ?