• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review of my equipment

staringback05

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2011
just asking for opinions and help if need be on my equipment

Rifle is a heavy barrel Rem 700 in .308
B&C A2 stock
20 moa base
Leupold mark4 rings
Nikon monarch 4x16-42

The rifle will be used at my department. For all practical purposes in my city the rifle would take shots from 50-100 yards.Based on size and layout no shots beyond 300 yards.
Thanks for the input

Re: Review of my equipment

Thats what your department issued you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staringback05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon monarch 4x16-42

</div></div>

Can you clarify the scope info?

The first rifle I was issued was brand new back in ~1982, the first department long gun they ever purchased, and it was very similar. The main difference was it was a Remington Model 700V in .308 with a BDL stock and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope. Although there was a chance of longer range engagements, the normally expected range was generally under 100 yards. It shot well enough within the 100-150 yard range window and had sufficient precision for normal 100 yard shots. There weren't lots of choices then...

The stock limited it's usefulness with a sling (found that out the first week of training) and the scope was not a tactical/target model so adjustment was difficult and not recommended in the field. Actually, I didn't notice many of the rifles limitations until I attended good training and shot enough to get rifle marksmanship fundamentals down pretty good. At that point the shortcomings were pretty obvious. If you attend some training, shoot lots and get cozy with that rifle and scope you'll find your own answers... and adapt the rifle and equipment to what works best for you.

Getting a department to spend the $$$ for top notch tactical gear isn't always that easy. My officers always liked having a Chief that had been a SWAT officer... things changed but I always understood what and why they needed upgrades.

I continue to be surprised and horrified in equal measure how poorly equipped some PDs are.

What is the length of the barrel, what ammo will you be getting an what reticle in the scope ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staringback05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
no shots beyond 300 yards.
</div></div>

Don't need the 20 moa base.

I would rather not state the department itself, but my city is 7 square miles with approx 20k residents and 60 officers.
It is evenly wooded area with subdivisions and a few large businesses.

The barrel is 26inchs and the ammo is Federal gold medal match 168gr

Product Information
Brand: NIKON
Model: MONARCH
Product Information: 4-16X42 SF M NP
Type: HUNTING, TARGET
Finish: MATTE
Reticle:MILDOT
Magnification: 4-16
Effective Objective Diameter: 42mm
Tube Diameter: 1"

This is my firearm, and while I understand there are more advanced options out there, also being more expensive...I am not being reimbursed for it...I personally believe this rifle is good fit for the job, however their is always someone with more education or experience out there so i welcome it.

I am more familiar with the AR setup, having built several including one recently for work.

will the base i have hurt me inside 300 yards? or is it just not needed?

I have currently put 43 rounds through the rifle, citing and practice. It shoots very good groups and has held its zero very well so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staringback05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
will the base i have hurt me inside 300 yards? or is it just not needed?

I have currently put 43 rounds through the rifle, citing and practice. It shoots very good groups and has held its zero very well so far.

</div></div>

Does it zero at 100? If so then dont sweat it.

Do you dial in for closer engagements or just use hold over?

you can probably get away with an 18-20" barrel, might save some weight and improve portability. Ammo is GTG

as of now i use hold over, im evaluating that still...it is zeroed at 100 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: staringback05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel is 26inchs and the ammo is Federal gold medal match 168gr</div></div>

My research has lead me to use 168gr. AMAX TAP as opposed to FGMM, I however have little experience as I am just starting my training myself, maybe a more senior member can chime in. Here is a link to an m4c thread dedicated to LE 308 loads.
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19878

i like TAP, i use it more in my AR though. Several individuals on ar15.com informed me about the federal