• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Review of the IOR 1.5 x8x26

Tucsondave

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
My buddy did the review of the scope. He has "a bit" of real world experience. LOL

Review of the Valdada – IOR 1.5x8x26 Riflescope.

Recently was able to T&E the above rifle scope. Was able to evaluate the scope over the course of one day doing both distance work and CQB. I came away very impressed... Follows the book specs, and then my impressions....

Magnification: 1.5 to 8 x

Objective Size: 26mm

FOV (100 yds) 89-22 Ft

Exit Pupil 3.25 -17.5 mm

Eye Relief: 3.5 inch

Dioptrical Adjustment: -3 to +3 DPT

Reticle – Total Adjustment Range: 75 MOA at 100 yds

Click Value: 1.4 MOA at 100 yds

Tube Diameter: 35 mm

Length: 9.5 inch

Weight: 22 oz

Disclaimer: Not a “Glass Guy.” Some of the above means very little to me. But I'm a reasonable example of an end user.

SIZE AND WEIGHT:

The IOR 1.5x8x26 Riflescope has some chunk to it. It feels very, very solid in the hand. The IOR documentation says it weighs in at 22 oz., which may well be true.... When chucked onto my Sister in Laws neurotic food weighing scale, the scope with high rings weighed in at 28.3 oz.

For comparison an Aimpoint and Aimpoint 3 x magnifier with quick detach mounts weighs in at 22.8 oz.

The IOR 1.5x8x26 is 9.5 inches in length. With a 35mm tube body. To me it is not overly large for 8 x magnification.

Size versus some 1 x competitors:

Size versus 4 x ACOG:

Size versus an IOR 1 and 4 power Pitbull and an Aimpoint and Magnifier setup:

Much like a Romanian peasant woman this scope is heavy, strong, and thick. But considering the range of magnification, and the inherent ruggedness of the scope I consider the size and weight more than acceptable. (Kinda like the peasant woman when you got fields to plow.) It's less bulky than an Aimpoint and Magnifier, and weighs less than an 5.5 ACOG while arguably offering more versatility.

RINGS AND MOUNTING:

IOR includes your choice of High, Medium, or Low rings, in alloy or steel with the scope. Am unsure if the rings included on my T&E sample were alloy or steel. Certainly rugged enough. Was able to use our M110 tools to mount the IOR 1.5x8x26 on one of our M4's easily.

Moved the PEQ from the top rail and was able to move the scope forward. Still had to seat my head back just a little further than I like, in order to work with the scopes generous eye relief (However, I am a nose to charging handle guy.) Because of this I would probably end up buying an aftermarket extended scope mount. Both American Defense Manufacturing and Larue (finally) offer 35mm scope mounts now.

RETICLE:

I love the ACOG reticle and consequently I love the reticle on this optic. The IOR 1.5x8x26 reticle looks likes this:

Line Thickness: 0.5 MOA at 100 yds

Center Dot Diameter: 3 MOA at Max Power

Inside Horseshoe Diameter: 10 MOA at Max Power

Outside Horseshoe Diameter: 16 MOA @ Max Power

“The reticule is designed to work with a 62gr 5.56mm miltary load. ….. The Hashmarks are tapered for a 21” wide target (shoulders,) from 300 to 800 yds, marking at the same time, the 300 to 800 yd Holdover Points.”

Some of the shooters/evaluators with me felt the “Horseshoe” was too thick... But I felt it was worth it for the doughnut of death affect in CQB....

The illumination is for night time use. It works well for that. It is not apparent during the day... at all.... even on max setting. The lowest setting is supposed to be night vision compatible. I did not test it. The illumination know goes from low power to max power to OFF and then around again.... Clever.

The reticle does not grow with magnification. Consequently I believe the holdovers will only be correct at 8 x.

The Holdovers seem dead nuts on. See below.....

DISTANCE WORK:

Was able to shoot a M-4 (Colt, 14.5 inch barrel, RAS rail) with the IOR 1.5x8x26 against steel plates set out to a 1,000 meters. Ammo was M855 ball.

Was able to zero the scope fairly quickly vs. a small square plate at a 100 meters. I then began to stretch the weapons legs. I was able to consistently hit a man sized plate at 650 meters. Another shooter was able to obtain hits (maybe 1 out of 2 or 3) against a plate at 750 meters. He was able to shoot 3 hits in a row at 750 meters when the wind died down completely. Bear in mind the shooting conditions were close to ideal... good illum and little wind. I think 800 meters is the upper, upper limit of a M-4 with M855, and this glass will let you take the weapon to it's max potential.

</a>

The holdovers worked well. To ping the 650 meter target I centered the plate between the 6 and 7 line and pulled through....

CQB:

The IOR 1.5x8x26 worked well for CQB. Was not able to do comparison split times, etc., but my impressions were thus.... Not as fast as an Aimpoint. A black dot and horseshoe at 1.5 is still not as good as a 1 x red dot. But not bad. And a metric shit ton better at CQB than a 4 x ACOG. If BAC works for you... Awesome. But I find it to be inherently slower and makes me want to vomit after a while... YMMV.

[url="http://img338.imageshack.us/i/ior816.jpg/"]</a>

[url="http://img834.imageshack.us/i/ior86.jpg/"]</a>

[url="http://img21.imageshack.us/i/ior87.jpg/"]</a>

[url="http://img827.imageshack.us/i/ior89.jpg/"]</a>

The generous eye relief helped with not traditional shooting positions....

CONCLUSIONS:

I like this scope. A lot.

I probably would have bought one last tour sight unseen if Larue or anyone else had been offering extended 35mm scope mounts at the time. It had everything I wanted in a scope. Low mag for close work. 8 x for distance. And the familiar, and effective ACOG style reticle.

Having been able to use the scope …. I think I'm going to have to buy one..... The glass is clear and bright. The eye relief is good. (I am so tired of that stupid J-Point on top of my ACOG wacking my NODS plate when I'm shooting in the prone.) The holdovers are dead on. You can push the M-4 to it's limits for distance work, and still be effective at close quarters.....

Still nothing's perfect. If IOR wants some improves, they would be:

Possible offer the scope at a cheaper price minus the rings for all the guys who are going to buy ADM or Larue mounts anyway.

Possible make the reticle first focal plane. I can definitely live with it as is though, and changing it would not be worth it if it greatly drives up price, or makes the scope less rugged.

Add a “Cat's Tail” or whatever they are calling it to the magnification ring.

Make it lighter if possible. (Without losing strength/ruggedness.)

Still, pretty minor bitches. With an IOR 1.5x8x26 mounted on a quality AR, you have potent combination.

[url="http://img153.imageshack.us/i/ior83.jpg/"]</a>

Re: Review of the IOR 1.5 x8x26

Seems to be all their new offerings are working out well.

Nice review from someone who actually uses it.

Good review with good pics!

seems versatile for what it is, pending the price it might be solid competition for similar Nightforce and US Optics in close to mid range optics

Hey T-Dave,

Tell your bro thanks for the review and great job with all the pics, that makes the read so enjoyable. Nice scope there, I've been eyeing the Valdada line but up until this model, they didn't offer enough mag for me.

Than I sorta got scared off by all the breakages, so I'll need to hear some more durability reports before I'll be real interested.

Still, excellent review, thanks for sharing!
smile.gif

Hi.

Update.

Took some more pics today. Tried to get images through the scope. Bear in mind it is difficult to take a photo that captures what you really see through the lens. The glass on the IOR scope is made by Schott of Germany. It is clear and bright.

Scope at 1.5 Power on a cloudy day...

Scope at 8 power...

Scope at 1.5 power at dusk.... Notice the tree at the bottom of the picture...

Scope at 8 power... TREE.

Thanks for a good, no BS, very practical review. The pics are great, and truly useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I liked your peasant women examples!...cracked me up,lol.
</div></div>

Sargent Z is a funny guy alright.:)

i would put it on a ar10 so they need to offer a diferent reticle as well with just mil marks... unless i missed something in the review of other offerings for reticles

Sagreant Z, thank you for your service and a great review of this IOR scope.

Thank You for the kind words.

Took some pics last night. Even harder to capture an accurate image in low light, but these give you the gist of what one sees through the scope at night.... The reticle and numbers are crisp and easy to read in reality.

Night Time 1.5 Power

8 Power

As you can see the optic is not only ideal for zapping bad guys, but also perving around your neighborhood.

Thank you for your review.

I am kinda surprized that that horseshoe doesn't light up. Would have thought that for fast & close low light use, that would be preferred.

Thanks for the great review! FWIW, the new models have a BDC style uncapped knob, but the capped turret model is still available, IIRC, but that would be considered older stock.

If you don't want rings you get a $60 credit/discount. This is true for all IOR 35mm scopes, and has been as long as I've been doing this.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great review! FWIW, the new models have a BDC style uncapped knob, but the capped turret model is still available, IIRC, but that would be considered older stock.

If you don't want rings you get a $60 credit/discount. This is rrue for all IOR 35mm scopes, and has been as long as I've been ding this.

Scott </div></div>

what is the time frame and price, Scott?

A lot of folks have expressed interest in mounting this optic on 7.62 weapons. (Myself as well, I have a set of the new Mega 7.62 upper and lower receivers on order....)

Asiparks posted this on ARFCOM... And he was kind enough to give me permission to repost it here.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have an older version on my 308

I've found it an excellent optic for the same reasons you mention.

I believe that there is an even newer version available with exposed turrets. Whilst the reticule is still calibrated for 5.56, the elevation knob is cammed and marked for 308, so you can use holdover if shooting the former, dial in for the latter.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlSarge2K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As you can see the optic is not only ideal for zapping bad guys, but also perving around your neighborhood. </div></div>

That's hilarious
laugh.gif

I love the IOR reticle ang glass. I should have never let my 1-4 CQB go away, and this looks like a great setup-would be perfect if FFP for that power range. The 556 is a handy enough cartridge that the holdovers would be useful at lower power (but I'm an FFP whore, so take it for what its worth).

Thanks ffor sharing Sarge and Dave.

The BDC knob version is in stock right now...

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersix4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great review! FWIW, the new models have a BDC style uncapped knob, but the capped turret model is still available, IIRC, but that would be considered older stock.

If you don't want rings you get a $60 credit/discount. This is rrue for all IOR 35mm scopes, and has been as long as I've been ding this.

Scott </div></div>

what is the time frame and price, Scott? </div></div>

I'm about to order this scope. I just built a ma/ten .308 wonder if the bdc that is for the 5.56 62gr would work in like a .308 155gr?

They need to make un uncapped version for the 5.56 like they do for the 308.
I wonder if they have any plans to do this in the near future?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They need to make un uncapped version for the 5.56 like they do for the 308.
I wonder if they have any plans to do this in the near future? </div></div>

They do oubeta, give Scott at Liberty a call.

I talked to Scott today and I think that scope is for a 308, and they just market it for a 223, correct me if I'm wrong.
It should be close out to 400m, but past there it will start to be off.