• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review: Omega 2-Speed Electric Powder Trickler

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I have always wanted an electric powder trickler, I looked high and low for a couple years for a used (now discontinued) Vibrashine brand. Never had any luck....and thank goodness. I saw a post on here a couple months ago where someone mentioned one they saw on Ebay, I quickly went there and bought one.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">My wish come true: The Omega 2-Speed Electric Powder Trickler</span></span></span>

This thing rocks! It can trickle fast, it can trickle slow, it can drop a kernal or two at a time. After ordering my Omega I quickly shopped for an Acculab VIC-123 scale, accurate to within .02 grains (that's about a kernal of powder, maybe two depending on the type). I added this scale to my assortment of others, but was really excited about the thought of using it with my two Chargemasters and the Omega Trickler.

I could go on and on about it, but here's my long story short. I now set my 2 Chargemasters .1 grain low for my desired charge, let them throw that charge, transfer the pan to my Acculab and trickle the last few kernals with a couple taps of the Omega's slow speed button. I made a slight mod to my Omega, it's not a have to do, but I liked the mod. I added the end of a 50 cent pipette, trimmed to work just right. The semi clear pipette lets me see the powder before it comes out and funnels it just so that only a kernal or two can come out at a time.

Using the two Chargemasters I can throw, then trickle, then dump about 100 charges per hour that are honestly within a kernal of powder or two (tops) of each other. The kids have to be in bed and the wife in the other room, but I can do it. I could easily do 60 charges per hour. With simply using two pans and one Chargemaster I could still do 60 without rushing too much, just trickling into one pan while the Chargemaster was throwing into the other.

If anyone is looking to speed up their reloading process while also throwing charges with kernal accuracy, this is the way to do it. It's about as close to the accuracy and speed of a Prometheus II as you'll get without spending $3k in the process. (I'll await BOLTRIPPERs comments)

The picture is my scales, the first video is by the owner/maker and the second video is my trickler with my mod.

24o34ig.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zxkpIxgFo5Y"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zxkpIxgFo5Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4B_M-qjwbxM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4B_M-qjwbxM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Review: Omega 2-Speed Electric Powder Trickler

It sounds like you have the powder end down real well. We'll be expecting some good range reports from you now.

I took top long range shooter at NorCal TBRC a couple weekends ago, how's that?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took top long range shooter at NorCal TBRC a couple weekends ago, how's that?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well done little buddy
wink.gif

Dang.
Just what I needed to see.
Thanks JasonK.
What recession?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took top long range shooter at NorCal TBRC a couple weekends ago, how's that?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Congratulations on that...!

Hey Jason, how fast is that acculab scale? DOes it bounce around a lot or is it stable with its measurements?

Thanks Jason! I appreciate the info...got'em both....I like the pipette (SIC) how can I get one? What is it exactly, please?

Thanks, WSM

My Acculab works really well after I reprogramed to "very unstable" enviroment now no more bounce etc. Lot's better over stock setting.

I need to change the setting on the Acculab, I think it would make life easier. Even when it's moving a little I'm still within .05 grains or so, plenty accurate for 90% of my ammo. If loading for a match of I know I'm going long range, then I'm a little more anal.

Oh, and the Chargemasters, they are with .05+/- (so .1 grain accurate) about 70% of the time I'd say, but they can throw a charge that's a full .1 grain off fairly often.

Also, the unit (Omega Trickler) runs on 2 AA batteries, which were included with the unit. That was a very nice touch, I hate getting something new and the having to go scrounge for batteries for it!!

I really like that powder trickler - is there a website? I couldn't find out much about it.

He doesn't have a website yet, just Youtube and Ebay. You can ask me any questions you'd like or better yet email Stan.

Stan is the guys name that does it all. You can email Stan at [email protected] and he'll answer any questions you have. Stan is a GREAT guy, he's all about customer service.

I did forget to mention, these things come with a lifetime guarantee to the original purchaser.

Great trickler. Lot's o control and the pipette thing works really well

pretty cool, man

+1 on testing with Varget or similar powders, and also how much does the vibration screw with the Acculab, or do you have them isolated some how (obviously not *touching*)?

I have a Vibrashine that I got when I first got an AccuLab, and while a nice trickler, it got shelved as it drove my Acculab absolutely bug-f$ck-nuts. I have a more sensitive but more stable scale now, and I'd thought about digging out the Vibrashine and setting something up. The biggest trick is that even with the long tube on it the scale pan is a looong ways inboard from the edge of the scale body, and I'd almost have to build/rig some sort of cantilevered platform for it. The remote 2-speed control of the Omega looks really handy, though.

I can't imagine that Varget wouldn't work just fine with it. Not sure I have any though, what are some similar sized powders?

It doesn't vibrate too much at all, I don't think on a solid bench that it would affect the Acculab....and it DEFINITELY wouldn't affect a scale with only .1 accuracy. If you look close, I have mine on a separate platform next to my scale shelf, but only cause I wanted to make sure AND because I had the scrap wood that was only large enough to hold the scale...not both...so I made them separated.

I use varget with mine and it works well. In the instructions that ship with the acculab, it shows how to change settings to "very unstable". Once I did this, the scale has so much less bounce, it was amazing.

jasonk,

RE-15 or N150 are kinda close... N150 is kind of a PITA as it has (over the 5-6 lbs I've used so far) very inconsistent kernel size and weight. With Varget/RE-15 I can just look at the weight, scoop a couple kernels with a plastic spoon from another pan and dribble the right amount into the pan pretty easily. N150... I have to pay close attention to what size the kernels are that I pick up (short, medium, extra-long) and even then I get some 'surprises' in weights.

I wasn't sure if that was your setup or the vendors setup, so figured I'd ask. Honestly I'm a little surprised you are getting decent results with the Acculab up on a shelf... pretty much the opposite of what I see recommended most of the time, especially for a scale of that sort. Mine is a little more accurate, but less fussy about environmental issues - the little glass hutch and a much better draft ring around the platen help a lot. I suppose I should rig something up with the Vibrashine first and see if it wigs out on the vibration from that first.

Monte

When I trickle in those last couple of granules I'm literally tapping the slow speed button as fast as I can. The vibration is minimal if any at all, I can't imagine it would bother your scale.

Ah heck, I forgot to add this from a while ago. I ordered mine with a longer cable to use on the shelf, be sure that the stock cable length will work for you or order a custom from him.

I noticed he's refreshed his stock on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Omega-2-Speed-Electr...=item335e434c6d

This should really help speed things up. What did you do to modify it? It looks like you added a pipet end.

I have mine right next to the Acculab scale and get absolutely no interference from the trickler. You don't even need a fancy powder dispenser and it's even faster if you just throw a light charge in the pan with a cheap powder thrower or by using the powder dippers or even an empty shell and then use the Omega to quickly trickle up the charge on the scale. Takes about 20 seconds total to measure out a throw to within a kernel or two of Varget with that 2-speed trickler once you get used to tapping the buttons. Probably the best thing I ever bought for reloading next to the Acculab scale.
Setting the scale to "unstable" makes it more user friendly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should really help speed things up. What did you do to modify it? It looks like you added a pipet end.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made a slight mod to my Omega, it's not a have to do, but I liked the mod. I added the end of a 50 cent pipette, trimmed to work just right. The semi clear pipette lets me see the powder before it comes out and funnels it just so that only a kernal or two can come out at a time.</div></div>

Yep, works great.

Can you throw a charge faster with the trickler than with the Rcbs. Looking to upgrade from my Pact.