• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REVIEW*pics* WOTAC gen 5 and SPS varmint AICS 1.5

generalzip

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    So I stretched the truth a little. It's not my first rifle, but it's MY (in my name by the state of NJ) rifle.

Remington 700 sps varmint .308
    AICS 1.5 OD SA
    WOTAC Gen 5 4-14X50mm
    Burris XTR medium rings
    EGW HD 30 moa base
    10 round AICS mag

Sighting her in tomorrow.

dsc04525.jpg

dsc04526r.jpg

dsc04527bs.jpg

Is this scope too high off the barrel??

dsc04528z.jpg

dsc04529e.jpg

dsc04530gb.jpg

dsc04531e.jpg

dsc04532g.jpg

4X sorry my camera sucks and was overwhelmed by all the light
    dsc04534z.jpg

14X again camera was overwhelmed by light and didnt take good pics. The scope is actually really clear and I'm pretty damn impressed by it thus far.

dsc04537zx.jpg

[img:center]http://a.imageshack.us/img811/6966/dsc04538m.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://a.imageshack.us/img185/5527/dsc04541y.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://a.imageshack.us/img185/5527/dsc04541y.jpg[/img]

Re: My first rifle *(pics)*

Nice looking setup. I have one of these in .223 with the rubber stock. Good luck tomorrow, mine is a shooter and I am sure yours will be to.

After you get some time in with it, please post your impressions of the WOTAC Gen. 5.

I am not familiar with the WOTAC Scopes. How much vertical adjustment do you have? With a 30 MOA base you may not be able to get a zero at 100yds at the reticle center. What range was you planning on zeroing the rifle at?

Terry

Is the scope to high? That's only a question you can answer. If you can get a good cheek weld and clear sight picture then it's fine. The scope height thing is a bigger issue with non adjustable stocks.

Thats a good looking rifle bud. Have fun with her and let us know how she shoots...

Nice first rifle!!!

Don't worry about scope height, like JK said, you're stock is adjustable, so rock out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not familiar with the WOTAC Scopes. How much vertical adjustment do you have? With a 30 MOA base you may not be able to get a zero at 100yds at the reticle center. What range was you planning on zeroing the rifle at?

Terry </div></div>

Its been bore sighted for 100 yrds and I still have about 10 moa down and a TONNN up. I'll let u know for sure when I'm punching paper in an hour.

Thanks everyone! I'm really pumped. Ill try to get some reviews of it in after my first trip to the range today

Very nice setup. As stated above, if you like the way the scope sits on the rifle and can get a good sight picture then I wouldn't worry about the ring height.

Very nice!
    I have a WOOTAC GEN 3 on my Tikka Varmint T3 that I really like.

can you post a review on that scope. i would really like to know if its worth the coin.

That looks like a great setup. You will have to post back with a range report.

And -- my condolences on living in NJ
    smile.gif

You couldn't get me to live in maryland again for any money... let alone new jersey!
    laugh.gif

Hey Guys!! Just got back from my first trip to the range (went later instead). So, as promised I'm gonna do a mini review of the gun. I didn't know whether to do it in this thread or another, but whatever I'll just do it here.

Setting up the scope with my dad's friend.
    dsc04543p.jpg

Checking eye relief and scope cant
    dsc04547h.jpg

The Scope:
    This is the second WOTAC gen 5 I've had. The first had a lot of dust in the reticle. I can deal with some, but this was a lot. I called Matt and I sent him back mine. I had another in my hands in about a week or so. The second one was in perfect condition with nothing in the reticle at all. Very clear picture.

The reticle is awesome. However, the markings for MOA and MIL are off a bit. I tested this by placing a yard stick at 100 yards and ranged it. BTW I measured exactly 100 yards so I know I was right. This isnt a huge deal and was expected. Easily solved by marking the spot with a marker.

The turrets are pretty decent and better than I expected. The windage turrets are a but vague and mushy. The elevation turrent have a really nice confirming CLICK when adjusting up, but arn't as nice coming down. Maybe I'm being a bit critical, but the turrets are a big deal to me. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with them.

The focus knob is nice, but for paralax adjustment I feel that once you get to 100-200 yards you and pretty much set it to infinity and it works well with all ranges past that.

The overall finish of the scope is very nice. The sunshade was crap and strips in 5 seconds. I dont really want/need a sunshade anyway. I feel like it would be fine if you set it up and never touched it again but I have flip caps on it and it constantly gets tugged on.

The eye relief on 4X and exit pupil is great. On 14X the relief is still very adequate, but the exit pupil suffers a bit between 12-14X. I also noticed that other than shadowing if I drop my eye too low there is "white shadowing". Does anyone know what this could be. Lens are clean. It makes it pretty hard to get a completely clear sight picture on high mags. On lower mags its totally fine.

The glass is great. The scope is really clear and I can EASILY see my .308 holes on a regular target at 100 yards and I can imagine id be able to see them out to 200 yards. This is something I didn't really think about when buying the scope, but now that I see how clear glass can be I will def put this at the top of my list when buying my next scope (probably a 5.5-22X56 NXS or 3.5-15 F1.)

Overall the scope is great. I honestly couldn't ask for more out of a $330 scope. It will serve me well until I can upgrade for a NightForce, but that is a couple years (1-2) down the road I think. While I may sound critical, I am just trying to do an honest assessment of the scope and comparing it to a perfect(IMO) scope. While I highly doubt there is any scope out there that is perfect in my opinion, it helps to know any concerns that could come up to a potential buyer. For example, While the sunshade didn't phase me it might be a serious concern for someone looking for a scope with a sunshade. If anyone else has specific question about the scope or any concerns just PM me or post on this thread.

First impressions of the gun:

Very well built for a 600 dollar gun. The finish on the rifle isn't very thick at all, but holds up to the normal scratches and wear and tear the gun will see out to the range and whatnot. Obviously, having the gun cerakoted would look nicer.

The only qualm I really have with the gun at all it the bolt. Two things I dont really care for are the length of the bolt knob (too short) and the overall play/slop of the bolt. This makes cycling the action a little less smooth (At least compared to the pre-64 winchester model 70 actions I've played with. Is this a big deal to me? No, I plan on sending my bolt off to Short Action Customs in a couple weeks to have a Badger knob installed and I also plan on having the gun rebarreled and action trued down the road. Problems solved

This is the SPS varmint. It offers a 26" a in 12" twist .308 barrel. I chose this over the sps tactical for two reasons. Extra velocity. More weight. Now you are probably saying this kid is an idiot for buying a longer barrel to make a gun heavier. However, this gun is for punching paper. It is/will be my go to precision rifle. Weight is not a concern as I will be firing off a bench or from prone. If I ever needed to travel with a rifle there are two amazing inventions out there. A sling. A gym. Anyway, I like the weight to soak up all the recoil. This is my first time firing a .308 and I was a bit nervous at first. This gun is my bitch. The recoil is nothing compared to my Browning Gold Hunter with buckshot or my Knight .50 muzzleloader. Yeah it does kick. Yeah it might make you flinch if you are a smaller/lighter person. But for me (6 foot 190) this gun could barely push me. I also thank the AICS 1.5 for this. The extra weight, fluffy recoil pad, and great design really dampen the recoil. So for anyone out there concerned with .308 recoil, dont be. Just buy a heavy barrel and nice stock.

The stock:

The AICS is awesome. I think that's all I need to write in this part...lol again my only qualm is the crudely cut plastic sides, but I'm so over that after shooting with it. It's perfect for me. My next gun will wear a McM A4(just to have some variety in my safe), but I have a feeling it's going to end up being sold for an AICS.

After Action Report:
    WOW! This gun can shoot. This is my first time shooting a .308, or any real high caliber rifle for that matter. I have read everything you can imagine about precision shooting. Watched videos on technique (bouquet to LowLight and anyone else involved in the SnipersHide training videos. You guys are awesome!) and must say nothing is like the real thing.

My shooting set up(its faster than typing a description):
    dsc04549p.jpg

dsc04554z.jpg

In case people are wondering the cheek piece is off to clean it. Adam at Bauer Arms included the thumb screws for the cheek piece for free when I bought the stock. I highly recommend buying from him. I know I will in the future. This was during barrel break in. Gun only has 18 rounds through it.

dsc04556e.jpg

I used shitty ammo to get a rough sight in, then switched to 168 grain FGGM.

Now for the impressive part. Keep in mind this is during break in. The gun has 18 rounds through it. I am not the best shot in the world.(not ANYWHERE close) The bench setup helped a lot with this handicap.

Range 100 yards. Fired two shots. Adjusted 2 clicks right. Cleaned barrel. Fired three shots. Here's the Results:
    dsc04562e.jpg

That 3-round group is sub .5 MOA. Around .435 MOA with my eyesight and a ruler. Hopefully things stay this way!!! I wish I had time to fire more, but I felt bad taking up the guy's time. I had been there several hours.
    NOTE: conditions were perfect. 85 degrees 0-5 mph wind and I was on a stable platform.

If I missed anything let me know and I'll add it. Thanks for all the comments everyone!

If you want to improve turret feel on the WOTAC, try this:

Clean the grease out of the caps and off the o-rings. Spray a little silicone spray on a rag and wipe inside the caps and onto the O-ring. This decreases the drags that causes a lot of that "mushiness" or "vague feeling". I tried removing the o-rings (per Matt). LOT's better feel, with turrets that adjusted themselves when bumped. Not good. The silicone spray was a great compromise.

Good luck. Great looking rig.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to improve turret feel on the WOTAC, try this:

Clean the grease out of the caps and off the o-rings. Spray a little silicone spray on a rag and wipe inside the caps and onto the O-ring. This decreases the drags that causes a lot of that "mushiness" or "vague feeling". I tried removing the o-rings (per Matt). LOT's better feel, with turrets that adjusted themselves when bumped. Not good. The silicone spray was a great compromise.

Good luck. Great looking rig.

John </div></div>

Interesting Ill have to give that a try. Plenty of Silicone oil from my airsoft guns left over (dont make fun of me haha).

Just an update: I was concerned that my scope was too high off the barrel. Not anymore. Had it been any lower I would have had trouble getting a clear sight picture even with the cheek pad all the way down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we get some larger pictures please...
    grin.gif
    </div></div>i thought my connection had failed, lol

nice rifle. good looking setup.

has anyone out there had similar results with a sps varmint? If so what ammo did you find worked best?