• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rfile build

SGT13B

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2011
Im going to build up a Remington 700 .308 CAL when I get back from deployment. Which model should I start with as a baseline? Any reccomendations on stocks? There are so many I get dizzy from lookin at them all. I'm going to use the rifle for distance shooting and a civilian sniper school. Then eventually when my son is old enough I'm going to pass it down to him. Any advice for this will be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Re: Rfile build

Im in nearly the same situation. I have friends who run McMillan and others who use the AICS platform and say both are excellent choices as far as stocks are concerned. I personally looked at the TAC-21 Modular Chassis but i've found very few reviews on it so im hesitant to buy.

Good luck on your build.

IMHO, a Rem 700 SPS Tactical would be a good starter. It's a no frills rifle that won't have you spending money on features that you might change anyway. As far as stocks go, get your hands on as many different types as you can and find the one that is most comfortable for you. Each rifle is very personal to it's shooter so find what works for you and go with it. Good luck with the build!

I started mine from the Rem 700 SPS Tactical and that is quite common around here. The great thing about that rifle is that it can become whatever you want it to be. However, if you don't care for the 20" barrel on the SPS Tactical you could always start with the SPS Varmint instead. It still has the heavier contour and 1-12 twist rate but it is 26" long instead. I would recommend that you stay away from the plane SPS and the VTR. Basically if you want the 20" barrel go with the SPS Tactical and if you want the 26" barrel go with the SPS Varmint.

You should also keep in mind that, just like the tires on a car, after a while the barrel on your rifle will need to be replaced. When this time comes you will be free to choose any length you wish. However, this is after several thousand rounds and depending on how much you shoot you may not see this day for many years.

As far as stocks go, your top choices are going to be McMillan, HS Precision, Manners, and the AICS. Some people also like Bell & Carlson stocks but they are widely believed to be a downgrade from the four that I previously mentioned.

Among these stocks the only true "drop in" is the AICS. The others are likely to require at least some bedding to get the most out of them. (however some people believe that the AICS is also improved with some light bedding and I have no reason do disbelieve them)

One thing to keep in mind is that some models of McMillan or Manners stocks may not be available right away. The multitude of different stocks these companies produce, combined with the high demand for their product, means that you may have to wait for the exact model you want. (because you are currently on deployment I assume this isn't likely an issue)

Well I hope my short essay on rifle model and stock choice will be helpful to you when you ultimately make your final decision.
-Nate-

Hey thanks for all the info guys I love it keep it coming the more knowledge I get the easier it is to make my choice. Well time to go play in Iraq some more. Later everyone