• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rib rubs.... Whatcha using??

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
Trying to find some good rib rubs for baby backs and spares. I know I can make my own but looking for a few good ready to go over the counter rubs I can purchase.

Let me know

I've been pretty happy for a few years with bad byrons butt rub. Pork, chicken,ribs, brisket, etc...

Famous Daves is a decent rub, but I also like to use spicy brown mustard from time to time.

I know you said you dont want to make your own, but if you decide to, (or for anyone else) here's mine. Simple and effective

Dirty Dave's Special Rub
1c Brown Sugar
1/4c Ground Black Pepper
1/4c Lawrys Season Salt
1/4c Lawrys Garlic Salt

rendezvous-famous-seasoning-600x600.jpg

Rubs are so regional, what is recommended in one state may not be available in another.
Where I am we can get Rendezvous', Big Bob Gibson's and of course Dreamland. Plus a TON of small unknowns. Piggly Wiggly carries a huge selection of these.

Dirty Dave's sounds interesting.

Tried some Dizzy Dust last night and loved it. I'll have to find some of the ones mentioned above and give them a shot.

Keep em coming

Perhaps you might consider another tack. Bake your ribs under foil for 2 hours at 275 in a pool of orange juice and coke.Grill for 10 to 20 min. coated with Montgomery Ribs BBQ sauce.Smoke is good here. Only tits are better.

Buy rub??? You sacrilegious cretins!

Most of the stuff in the cabinet can make you a damn good rub.
Three ingredients??? Where are the layers of FLAVOR???
Dilettantes!

Simple Ass Rub: (Just grab a spoon, whatever size you want. If you got big jars, get a big spoon. Small jars, small spoon)

1S = 1 Spoonfull, it's all size of the spoon relavant

3S Paprika, you are wasting your time using smoked because you are going to SMOKE your meat!
1S Cayenne
2S coarse grind sea salt
1S coarse grind pepper(I use multi peppercorn mix in adjustable grinder)
1/2S chili powder
1S Crushed Red Pepper Flakes OR(Mo Better) Turkish Alleppo Pepper
1S espresso roast, espresso grind or turkish grind coffee grinds
2S Brown Sugar
1S Demarara Sugar

Splash a little Wild Turkey 101 on that meat, then rub it til it's thick and sticky. Let it sit overnight. Let it get to ROOM TEMPERATURE before you smoke it!(so you are not waiting all day for the smoker to get it down to temperature so it can actually start cooking

Rib rubs.... Whatcha using??

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 packet apple cider powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Apply rub to ribs and let rest for hour, cook at 275 for an 1 1/2 hours then wrap with parkay and tiger sauce and cook for another hour, baste with famous Dave's sweet and zesty and serve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized table salt
1/8 cup brown sugar, dried
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

You cant buy anything that comes close to this.
Use kosher salt instead of table salt and Turbinado instead of sugar.
Recipe is called BRITU(best ribs in the universe)

I like Rib Stars rib rub and Seitz Texas brisket seasoning on my beef ribs. I dont know how they would be on pork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to stop cooking ribs because it was getting too expensive. I mean buying a new LaRue Tactical mount every time I needed a jar of Dillo Dust rub was blowing the cookout budget.
:D

Damn might have to just get in the kitchen and whip up a few of these home brews. What's the preference with ribs? Baby Backs or Spares?

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 packet apple cider powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp ground powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Apply rub to ribs and let rest for hour, cook at 275 for an 1 1/2 hours then wrap with parkay and tiger sauce and cook for another hour, baste with famous Dave's sweet and zesty and serve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alot of 'pre-packaged ingredients' in this 'scratch' recipe.

What is "Ground Powder"?
What is "Tiger Sauce"?

I can imagine what the "apple cider powder" is.... though I'll guess that you don't simmer any apple juice down, eh? I'm just asking.

FWIW everyone, when SwitchBlade offers up a recipe, ya'll would do good to take notice. That man (and his sons) has helped me on a number of occasions. And there's never been a bad one yet. Dare I say, he's one of the best.

Alot of 'pre-packaged ingredients' in this 'scratch' recipe.

What is "Ground Powder"?
What is "Tiger Sauce"?

I can imagine what the "apple cider powder" is.... though I'll guess that you don't simmer any apple juice down, eh? I'm just asking.

FWIW everyone, when SwitchBlade offers up a recipe, ya'll would do good to take notice. That man (and his sons) has helped me on a number of occasions. And there's never been a bad one yet. Dare I say, he's one of the best.

Ground powder brainfart corrected ( thank you for pointing that out). Tiger sauce is a semi spicy sauce that is available in most major supermarkets and has been made popularized by the godfather of competitive barbecue himself MR Johnny Trigg. Apple has long since been used to enhance the flavor profile of pork and I just like the extra kick the cider the packet adds to my rub. I guess some people don't like the consistency that products like tiger sauce bring to the table in favor for a more "authentic rub" but I'll always go with what is proven successful in the competitive arena, I guess to each his own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the clarification. Up here in Canuckia, we don't have near the 'competition' as ya'll do down south. Nor do we have the import selection of fine things such as Tiger sauce,,,, most likely due to the "all-enveloping ITARd" laws. There's a chance that a specialty shop may have it up here, but it ain't prevalent. This was why I had to ask.

There used to be a lot more 'recipes' and cooking threads in Maggies, years ago. And the knowledge/experience that is held by so many members here, is quite astounding. On so many topics.