• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Riddle me this > WTF is this .308 Round used for ?

Twisted .308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Co-worker got it from a local gunsmith who claims it has over 4000fps ....looks to be entirely made out of Teflon Plastic except for base.

DSC00166.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

Re: Riddle me this > WTF is this .308 Round used for ?

Don't know about 4000fps but I've seen plastic rounds or "training" rounds before. They will function firearms(fully auto) without doing down range damage. I've seen them used at Knob Creek machine gun shoot before as well.

Could be wrong, just my 2 cents...
smile.gif

I was sent a box of those wondering what they were.

As to velocity, I don't remember exactily what it was but it was no where near 4000 fps. If I remember, it was closer to about 1600.

It was suppose to be a indoor practice round and non-leathal round for urban unrest. Turned out it wasn't really "non-leathal and is not used for that.

I don't know if its still used, and by whom, but the only real use would be for practice in indoor ranges.

I'll try to dig around my shop and see if I can find the box. It would tell who made it.

Yea , I dont buy the 4k either ..made too "airsoft" / fragile looking to me and projectile would most likely breakup ..but it does appear to have a full charge of powder ?

Even if they did start out at 4000, I'm guessing that'd drop off right quick. You'd probably need 50 mil to get to 300 yd (LOL).

I dug this up > looks like it is 4000fps !!!

.308 Practice ammo/plastic projectile under 17 cents per round shipped
This ammo is German-made practice ammo. Designed for economical practice at ranges under 300 yards, this ammo was made to work with specially modified G3 rifles. However, it works also just fine in any modern .308 (7.52x51) rifles. It fires an 11 grain projectile at over 4400 fps, and is shockingly accurate. This WILL NOT cycle semi auto rifles. You will have to operate the charging handle between each shot. Obviously it will work fine in bolt actions.

This is very fun and very cheap (for .308 anyway) practice ammo. The cheapest regular .308 ammo is going to run you 35-40 cents per round, and this is about half that.

I have shot several hundred rounds of this ammo in .308 and 9mm. It works great and is fun. Also great for simulating malfunctions because it will not cycle the next shot, and I use it for that purpose in classes I teach.

WARNING: this is potentially lethal ammunition. Don't be fooled by the plastic projectile. It will kill.

Use coupon code "SH632" for free shipping. Sold in 1000 round cases currently @ about $170.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/ne...ice%20Ammo
Last edited by Glock34; 12-05-2011 at 08:38 PM..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if its still used, and by whom, but the only real use would be for practice in indoor ranges.</div></div>
7.62X51 training round, will not cycle most anything in that chambering. Used to teach machinegunners how to shoot movers, armor an aircraft. Was also used to teach ballistics to select groups back in the day.

Probably want to use a G1 BC with those (LOL). Let us know how they shoot.

Bought some of these a while back, the 4K velocity is correct. About an 18 grain pojectile. Nominaly accurate out to about 50 yards, and load as hell. Good for paper punchers, and initial bore sighting. If you can find the brass cased FMM version grab'em,those are good close to 100 yards. Also FMM makes a wooden bullet version as well ( 1970's production date ).

Hi guys,

The plastic looks white on those pics. Not sure if it is just my comp. but they look white. The german plastic ammo that twisted is talking about is blue. I bought 1500 rounds few months ago. Not bad ammo. Good up to 50 or 100, but no further. I don't have a chrony yet, so cannot verify velocity. I have only seen them in 7.62/.308 and I purchased them on this website.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/50...-plastic-bullet

And, no, have not had any plastic residue in barrel. Yet, anyways, have shot bout 900 of them out of a rem 700 5r.

yea,those are white...
ones i bought online are blue ...
shot one of the white ones at a empty 55gal. drum at about 50yds..went clean thru both sides
only had a open sight rifle to play with but they hit pretty damn close to where we aimed !

Allied >>> SGAmmo... thats the same place I just ordered mine from

Nice

The blues fly pretty flat if you ask me. Can damn near take the head off a turkey at 50 yds.
I'm curious of the white ones though. Are they the same? The neck looks a little different.

I have the blue ones, they are my squirrel load hehe I've never had a chance to take a shot farther than about 90 yards with them, but they are accurate till then. And with such a light projectile it disperses all its energy pretty quick. Crows are just a puff of feathers. Squirrels get severed and thrown a few feet.
I'd be interested if anyone has shot them to 200 or so what the accuracy was?

How bad do these mess up the barrel? I would imaging lots of melted plastic residue.