• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Basix SAV-RAT doesnt work in Savage 93 E it seems

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I went to install my Rifle Basix SAV-RAT into my new Savage 93R17 FV today and ran into safety issues. No matter how much I would tighten down the trigger pull adjustment screw, it was still only a few ounces and would dry-fire when the bolt closed.

I adjusted the safety adjustment screw and when it was on safe it was fine. But sometimes even taking the safety off would cause it to dry fire.

I called Rifle Basix and talked to a very nice gentleman named Clyde and he walked me through the adjustment but still didn't improve. He offered to send me a replacement and I agreed that maybe something was off and a new one would work.

After we got off the phone I disassembled my other Savage 93 non-E and sure enough Savage changed the design of the adjustable Accu-trigger.

On the non-E, there is what looks like a percussion cap nipple that increases tension on the spring. That is not present on the E-receiver so there's not enough tension for the SAV-RAT spring to increase trigger pull at all.

I called Rifle Basix back and informed Clyde of my findings and he said they'd have to redesign one to work with the 93-E.

Has anyone else encountered this or has installed the SAV-RAT in an E receiver without issue?

I have not used RB trigger on the rimfire, but you can adjust the accutrigger to a much lower pull by cutting off approx 1/2 coil at the time until lighter pull is achieved. Obviously you do not want to overdo this; if you take just a little too much off you can adjust the spring back out to get more spring force again. Also, cut some coils off the sear safety spring to make it lighter to pull too. I have done this on 3 accutriggers, including my 17hmr, and like this better than the aftermarket triggers I have used.

I thought about trimming the spring down but it does not have that nipple keeping it in place like on the non-E receiver.

The spring basically coils in and then bends upwards to keep itself in this little bitty hole. I'm afraid that by clipping coils the spring could side out. I'll try to grab some pictures to better explain.

I know what you mean and have the same; I did not have any problems trimming and having it stay in place. I have even seen reports where some have replaced this with a spring from ballpoint pen

So glad you posted this. I just finished installing the SAV-RAT in my Mark II BTVS and have the exact same problems: closing the bolt quickly and/or manipulating the safety causes it to fire, can't put enough tension on the "weight of pull" spring with the included allen screw to increase the pull weight, end of the spring moves around on the trigger housing, etc.. Sometimes if I closed the bolt slowly & carefully it wouldn't fire. In those instances I could use the Lyman digital trigger pull gauge to measure the weight, which was usually between 9-12 oz. I suppose I need to contact the folks at Rifle Basix now.

How do you tell a "E" and "non-E" receiver apart? Is there some appreciable mechanical difference between them?

The E-receiver is about a 1/2 inch longer

link

Mine's definitely an "E" type receiver.

Finally got a call back from Rifle Basix. They recommend using the long set screw instead of the short one to adjust the weight of pull for "E" type receivers. They've been shipping them with 2 of the longer ones since the beginning of the year.

Still had to bend the end of the "weight of pull spring" in and up to match the end of the one on the Accutrigger. This keeps the end of the spring in contact with the receiver from wandering.

Last edited: