• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle build action decision HELP!!

steveptr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Seattle, Wa
So I'm going to be building a 300win and I've been talking with my smith and I can get a rem 700 long action for 500 bucks and have him blueprint it for another 350$.

Or

I can get a stiller preditor long action all done for 1100 plus tax. It's a few hundred dollers difference and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Re: Rifle build action decision HELP!!

I would go stiller all day. I wouldn't even think twice about it, way more resale value and it is a sweet action. I dont think Ill build another r700 action again unless I start doing the work myself or find it for $350

Pop in a few pawn shops. I found a nice r700 s/a for 350. Sold the barrel and stock for 70 bux.

I'd go for the Stiller. Of course it isn't much further to a Surgeon.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveptr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can get a stiller preditor long action all done for 1100 plus tax. </div></div>

That seems high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nauta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stiller charges 950
http://www.viperactions.com/ - click on prices </div></div>

If you call Stillers directly you can get an even better deal.

I have been seeing a lot of rifles being built with a Badger M2008 actions. For the Winchester Magnum action its $1185. I have read they are built like a tank, and smooth to run. They also come with a 20 MOA Base.

http://badgerordnance.com/m2008-rifle-action/

$350 to true a Rem 700 action? That's mighty steep. $500 for an action is steep too. You can find a used magnum rifle for in the $400-$350 range if you look around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$350 to true a Rem 700 action? That's mighty steep. $500 for an action is steep too. You can find a used magnum rifle for in the $400-$350 range if you look around. </div></div>

Not for around where I live about 500 is a cheap magnum and I can get the stiller for 1100 pined and a 20moa base included.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been seeing a lot of rifles being built with a Badger M2008 actions. For the Winchester Magnum action its $1185. I have read they are built like a tank, and smooth to run. They also come with a 20 MOA Base.

http://badgerordnance.com/m2008-rifle-action/ </div></div>

Right here I just built one in .308
Its F*&king Bad A$$.

Go with a custom action youll be glad you did.

My 700 trued....etc & Rock Creek barrel, which was a hammer, is nothing like my
Badger action w/Rock barrel.
I wish I would have went with a custom action right off the bat.

Go with the Stiller

AL

Go custom action! As been already said, if you want a Stiller contact Greg at Bugholes.com and you can get one with 20moa rail for $990 shipped. If your willing to spend $1100 as mentioned in you post. I'd contact Thrid Generation Shooting Supply and for $1077.95 shipped you can purchase a Bighorn Tactical action with 20moa rail. Also both actions come with pinned recoil lug. I think Bighorn is the best value for your money in a custom action today.

You have to count into the price difference a custom action comes with a 20moa rail and an oversized bolt knob. So that $500 700 action is now $650 or so and still no where near the accuracy of that Stiller. I bought a 700 SA from Brownells and even with an LE discount I wish I would of paid for a cusom action instead. Only a couple hundred more in the scheme of things and way better action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brosseau</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to count into the price difference a custom action comes with a 20moa rail and an oversized bolt knob. So that $500 700 action is now $650 or so <span style="color: #FF0000">and still no where near the accuracy of that Stiller.</span> I bought a 700 SA from Brownells and even with an LE discount I wish I would of paid for a cusom action instead. Only a couple hundred more in the scheme of things and way better action. </div></div>

bullshit.

300sniper is right - a good smith can true up a Rem 700 action & make it shoot with any custom action.

Customs action are very nice & come with lots of options, but a trued up Rem 700 by a quality smith can be built into a tack-driver!!

One thing that steered me away from building on a trued Rem 700 action is the fact that they sometimes don't cam right afterwards. This happened to a buddy of mine and he had to spend an additional $200 on a new PTG both. He didn't save much if anything over buying a Stiller but I'll admit it does shoot well.
Why send a pair of shit stained draws to a custom Taylor to have lace sewed on. When for about the same price you could have gone to Victoria Secret and got something alot more sexy. LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamplife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing that steered me away from building on a trued Rem 700 action is the fact that they sometimes don't cam right afterwards. This happened to a buddy of mine and he had to spend an additional $200 on a new PTG both. He didn't save much if anything over buying a Stiller but I'll admit it does shoot well.
</div></div>

Your buddy needs a new smith then, that should have been addressed in the truing process and is easily corrected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamplife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing that steered me away from building on a trued Rem 700 action is the fact that they sometimes don't cam right afterwards. This happened to a buddy of mine and he had to spend an additional $200 on a new PTG both. He didn't save much if anything over buying a Stiller but I'll admit it does shoot well.
</div></div>

Your buddy needs a new smith then, that should have been addressed in the truing process and is easily corrected</div></div>

Give me the details of how this is easily corrected. I would like to know for myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brosseau</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to count into the price difference a custom action comes with a 20moa rail and an oversized bolt knob. So that $500 700 action is now $650 or so <span style="color: #FF0000">and still no where near the accuracy of that Stiller.</span> I bought a 700 SA from Brownells and even with an LE discount I wish I would of paid for a cusom action instead. Only a couple hundred more in the scheme of things and way better action. </div></div>

bullshit. </div></div>

Out of the box a 700 action will shoot as good as a Stiller? I find that hard to believe. Once a 700 action has been trued by a 'smith it will. That's what I was getting at, you still have to have work done to it to make it as nice as a custom actiion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamplife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me the details of how this is easily corrected. I would like to know for myself. </div></div>

Look up at the top of the gun smithing forum (I think that is the one) there is a sticky by STR on truing a Remington 700 action. Somewhere in there it is shown how he does it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamplife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me the details of how this is easily corrected. I would like to know for myself. </div></div>

Look up at the top of the gun smithing forum (I think that is the one) there is a sticky by STR on truing a Remington 700 action. Somewhere in there it is shown how he and most do it.</div></div>

I saw those videos quite some time ago. I don't think you know what I'm talking about and I'll leave it at that.

I totally agree! Both the 700 and the savage actions will shoot just as good as a custom once a good smith works them over!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brosseau</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brosseau</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to count into the price difference a custom action comes with a 20moa rail and an oversized bolt knob. So that $500 700 action is now $650 or so <span style="color: #FF0000">and still no where near the accuracy of that Stiller.</span> I bought a 700 SA from Brownells and even with an LE discount I wish I would of paid for a cusom action instead. Only a couple hundred more in the scheme of things and way better action. </div></div>

bullshit. </div></div>

Out of the box a 700 action will shoot as good as a Stiller? I find that hard to believe. Once a 700 action has been trued by a 'smith it will. That's what I was getting at, you still have to have work done to it to make it as nice as a custom actiion. </div></div>

i thought the op was weighing the option between a trued 700 vs. a stiller.

but since you mentioned it, i bet a rifle built on a off the shelf 700 using the same components, methods and craftsmanship as one built on a stiller predator/tac action would probably shoot just as good. would i guarantee it? no but i feel there's a high probability of it shooting just as good.

SSC sells a trued R700 LA with magnum bolt face for $600.

http://scoutsupplycompany.com/shop/trued-remington-700-action/

Often, if you get a barrel cut, crowned, and chambered at the same time, you get a discount on the work. Phoenix Custom Rifles gives a discount on truing a receiver if done at the same time with installing a barrel.

If I was going to go the route of having a blueprinted receiver I would go to a pawn shop and find a cheap R700 long action, buy an over size badger recoil lug, buy a fluted PTG bolt with an oversize knob and magnum bolt face (optional), buy a barrel from Bugholes, send everything to GAP, RWS, SSC, or PCR for truing and assembly.