• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle build for national match competitions

lvbbbk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey everyone. I am very interested in building a rifle for national match competitions in attempts to go for the President's 100 and distinguished. Any recommendations on builds and match locations and dates would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Rifle build for national match competitions

Thanks fellas. When looking at the web links, I was under the impression that for national match competitions it had to be a service rifle. Can someone point me towards match rules, etc where I can view what type of rifles are allowed, etc? Thanks again.

Go here:
NRA

You're starting a long journey. Good luck, and stay with it. Some of the best people I've met have been at matches.

1911fan

NRA Rifle Programs
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/dept-rifle.asp

NRA Rule Books
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nra-rule-books.asp

Your shooting will fall under "High Power"

http://www.odcmp.com/
CMP can also help you with things like finding local clubs / matches

Find a local club like:
http://www.myvssa.org/content/high-power-rifle-competition
Show up for some matches and just take it all in. I have not seen a club that will not help new shooters. IMHO, do your homework before you start spending money on anything. Most clubs will run a Small Arms Firing School were you can get access to a rifle and a coach.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvbbbk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks fellas. When looking at the web links, I was under the impression that for national match competitions it had to be a service rifle. Can someone point me towards match rules, etc where I can view what type of rifles are allowed, etc? Thanks again. </div></div>

National Match rifle competition (aka NRA Highpower Rifle) is run under NRA rules. There you can compete with a Service Rifle that complies with the NRA rules for Service Rifles or with a Match Rifle that complies with the NRA rules for same. National Match competition culminates in the NRA National RIfle Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio every year. NRA National Match rifle competition has nothing to do with the President's Hundred or the Distinguished Rifleman badge award.

Rifle competitions run by or under the rules of the Civilian Marksmanship Program known as Excellence In Competition matches are those that lead towards the award of the Distinguished Rifleman badge. In addition, the CMP has its own national championships at Camp Perry, typically the week before the NRA National Matches. It is during that CMP week, formally known as the National Trophy Rifle Matches where you can compete in the President's Hundred Rifle Match, the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match, the National Trophy Team Match, and the National Trophy Infantry Team Match as well as a host of other, lesser matches known collectively as the CMP Games Matches.

CMP rifle matches are run under similar (but not exactly the same) rules and courses of fires as the NRA matches with one big difference: you do not get sighter shots before your shots for record begin. Every shot counts. CMP rifle matches can only be shot with rifles that comply with the CMP's rules for Service Rifles, which are very similar to the NRA Service Rifle rules. The NRA, in fact, accepts any rifle built to CMP SR specs as legal for NRA National Match competition.

Per above about CMP, in case you can't find the rule book on their website, the layout is not the most straight forward:
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.htm

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

You will find that some clubs run matches with NRA Rules, some with CMP rules, and some are a bastardized mix.

Per the post above, if you want the Distinguished Rifleman and President's 100, then you will have to compete in the appropriate CMP matches. In order to prepare for that, their is a good chance that you will be shooting in NRA matches.

FYI, the Distinguished Rifleman can easily be a 3-5 year process. The EIC Matches are not always easy to find, and competition at them can be very stiff to earn any points.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Many thanks to everyone for their help. That should get me started down the road for sure. I shot and placed in the All Navy match as a Midshipman but haven't shot a match like that since. 9 deployments have taken up the majority of life since graduation. Looking to get back into it as a long term hobby into older age. Thanks again

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

One big difference between NRA and CMP, is the NRA recognizes the M110 as a Service Rifle and the CMP does not.
Another smith for a top Service Rifle is Compass Lake Engineering http://www.compasslake.com/

The compasslake looks like a great build. Thank you. Is anyone dialed in on the ancillary components (shooting jacket, mit, sling, spotting scope mounts, etc?) Thanks

Additionally any suggestions on ammo would be very welcome. Both good factory round to use and also any good reloading data. Thanks again.

Try Creedmore for many items you are looking for. Most people that I have shoot with uesed their coats, as have I. For another company with good prices, but not the selection, try
OK Weber. I use Acurate 2520, with 77 gr Sierra and 80 gr Sierra for 600. A lot of people give me a hard time about my choices, but I beat them most of the time. I have won many match's, including a Regional, and placed well in many others, even though I have an inner ear problem and can not shoot a good offhand. OK Weber has the best prices on Sierra bullets.

Don't take it the wrong way, but IMHO an Internet Forum is not going to give you a lot of the answers that you honestly need if you are going to pursue your stated goals in High Power.

You REALLY need to get out to a club / range / match so that you can put your hands on stuff, try stuff, and talk to the shooters who can keep you from learning things the hard way and wasting a lot of money.

What works well for one person may not work well for you, espcially when it comes to High Power and personal items like a coat, gloves, sling, sights, etc. Asking on the Internet will get you a response, but it may not be the one that is going to work for you.

Very common mistake in High Power, shooters buy stuff before they have a chance to try it out or shoot with it. When they actually get on the line and try to use it, they quickly figure out it is too big or small, wrong height or length, doesn't work with their eyesight, and the list goes on.

Unfortunately, most of the High Power activity is done for the year, buy your local club / range may still have some active shooters.

As much as you may want to start buying, I would honestly have to say that you need to get hooked up with some local High Power shooters and try whatever you can before you start spending money.

I am making these recommendations because I still have a closet full of what turned out to be useless items that I bought when I first got into High Power. I need to get around to selling it, because there is probably over $1,000 worth of stuff sitting there that never got used beyond 1 or 2 matches!

Try Before You Buy!

Best of Luck,
M Richardson