• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Camo, why? (Can of worms)

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    For true operators I get it. I understand the place for camo in war or special operations. But other than that why? 99.9% of the guys on here are not operators. So why take a $4 can of Krylon to a $7,000 S&B, and AI rifle? It makes me shake my head. When I go shoot at a two-way range I will get to walmart and buy some rattle cans.

Flame suit on.

Just hoping I'll lose it so I can buy another without feeling guilty.........

Actually took the camo off my Spartan with some graffiti remover cuz it lost it's appeal. Never again!

So you can beat the shit out of it and then post it to the "What does a hard run optic look like" thread?

Because they can...

i ask the same sort of question when gear queers say "I will take it if you have it in coyote tan so it matches all my other safe queen shit"

So you can beat the shit out of it and then post it to the "What does a hard run optic look like" thread?

I actually did mine out of boredom, I even redid it last night. My therapist said I needed to do something that calmed my nerves...at this rate there will be 400 coats of Krylon on it by tax season.

Shit I thought it made a 300 dollar wally world gun into a 1/4 moa sniper rifle I am selling my shit

Funny you mention is as I finally got bored with the plain black on mine and decided to paint it tonight! Nothing like taking something you like and customizing it to fit YOUR taste or needs. No different than cars, houses, clothes, etc.

One

ARfinish_zps8273e006.jpg

or two?
    IMG_20140617_133601_524_zps03112c1c.jpg

Mix matched parts, might as well. Black makes about no sense to me, either. I think it's ugly. No reason you can't Cerakote or hardcoat annodize in coyote or OD green.

What does black do for you?

After stripping my Leupold Mk6 the other day, I am done painting scopes, though.

Does not matter. It's yours, paint it whatever color you want. Some paint skulls on 'em, some paint leaves on 'em, some paint naked women on 'em, some paint little titties on 'em.

Just don't chrome plate it.

Rifle Camo, why? (Can of worms)

Funny, at the hide cup one of the lady shooters had a chrome plated chassis. I thought it was original at least. And actually I did not see many full camo guns.

I'm gonna guess that sometimes it's for some of the same reasons you started a thread about it. You're bored or because you wanted to. Either way I give the same amount of fucks, which is none. Do what you want to do

I'm going to say mostly boredom and for the fun of it, so why not, it's your stuff. Now subduing a shiny stainless barrel for hunting, especially coyotes makes some sense.,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Protective coating, good point. Now I've got an itch to go paint...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in the desert. In the summer time anything black sucks. I painted one beater AR for running classes or anytime I have to be out the summer sun for any length of time with a rifle. Will not paint any bolt guns. Mainly because its a pain in the dick if you ever want to sell or trade them.

Because should the time ever come that you need to paint it, it'll be too late. I can't help it. The tactical mindset instilled in me as a grunt just lives on forever. Proper camouflage is beautiful to me; black is blah.

Women paint their nails so I guess some men don't want to be left out?

Some guys like to put big ol' rims and rubber band tires with "mudder" tread on their trucks, or jack up their work trucks making the bed a pain to load and unload. Hey, their money. I actually painted the furniture on a shotgun yellow, just to brighten up the safe. Figure I'm usually wearing blaze orange when I'm using it so bright colors will fit right in.

People enjoy adding their own spin on things, which is why custom car and bike shops do so well. Rifles are no different, just another hobby to dive into. Also black is not a naturally occurring color and for some professional hunters that little bit of extra camo can make the difference between bagging a trophy and just bagging some meat for the fridge.

Why not?

My .308 has a camo stock, not because I wanted it, but it was what Manners had in stock, ready to ship. I actually asked if they would paint it plain tan. But decided to give it a try. Actually like the look.

To me the best benefit of a paint job (cerakote/durakote/rattle can) is the protection it provides to the firearm itself. I have a fair amount of guns and no matter what i do, if they are actually used and not just kept in the safe, they will get a surface rust spot here or there from hunting in rain or just shooting in general. It comes off easy enough if caught early but the added protection from a nice paint scheme is a plus.

Shame on them for wanting to customize their rifle how they want it. Who do they think they are? Everybody knows only ex military are allowed to have camo rifles. Everybody else is just a "wanna be". Take note of the sarcasm.

Its ok, Ill stand and fight along side the millions of "wanna bes" with their camo stocks. You can have your handful of "legits". At the end of the day we're all on the same team.

Oh, yeah. Men and our hobbies. Used to be muscle cars, back in the days. I'm currently on the hunt for a nice walnut stocked tikka master Sporter.. I " get" the stability of the plastic stocks and the protection of ceracote, against rust. I grew up in a day when a fine gun had fine wood. Fine checkering. Fine engraving. Not around much these days. What really worries me, is the "mind set" of some people. Non- hunters buying ghilly suits at Cabela's. Guys with threads that ask for advice for a gun that will hit "human targets" at a thousand Yds. Guy's buying gadgets to make their guns full auto. Guys getting "all revved up, with no place to go". Somebody like that snaps, and we all pay for it.

Last edited:
    I just want to throw this out there as a supplement to my previous post & pictures. I have previous military service, so you can all stop thinking less of me.

lol whatever.....

To me the best benefit of a paint job (cerakote/durakote/rattle can) is the protection it provides to the firearm itself. I have a fair amount of guns and no matter what i do, if they are actually used and not just kept in the safe, they will get a surface rust spot here or there from hunting in rain or just shooting in general. It comes off easy enough if caught early but the added protection from a nice paint scheme is a plus.

this^^^^^

What really worries me, is the "mind set" of some people. Non- hunters buying ghilly suits at Cabela's. Guys with threads that ask for advice for a gun that will hit "human targets" at a thousand Yds. Guy's buying gadgets to make their guns full auto. Guys getting "all revved up, with no place to go". Somebody like that snaps, and we all pay for it.

Hi Elmer, did you catch Bugs yet?

Camo paint? I've found that if you've cammo'd for "woodland" then "Desert" is what is needed and vice versa.

I just have a few rolls of Cammo tape for the time I might absolutely need to hide. Rest of the time------- whatever came on the rifle works for me and until I use up my bottle of Duracoat "Tactical Black" that's what my new barrels will get painted.

These "Cammo Stories" remind me of a different story.

A kid went wandering around the stalls behind the stands at a rodeo. Ran into a "cowboy" siting against a rail and started asking him questions. "Why do you wear the big hat he asked and the cowboy said to keep the sun and rain off me while working?". The kid asked why do you wear those big chaps and the cowboy answered that they kept his legs and clothing from being torn up by the brush as he rode through it.".

Then the kid asked "Why are you wearing tennis shoes". The cowboy replied "so I'm not mistaken for a Truck Driver".

I just love seeing some "thirty something" weighing >300# at the range not only showing off his camo'd and tricked out rifle but is also wearing "digital" as well (although I don't know where he found it in his size).

Last edited:
    Oh, yeah. How come nobody uses Navy camo. Sailor falls overboard in his cammies and he is a goner. Good shit. Think about it.

Maybe seeing the turret marking clearly.. Might function better if a bit of masking was utilized ;)

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL, I actually made the same mistake and had to go back and remove some with lighter fluid and it was a bitch.

It opens a whole new avenue for rifle owners to get good at something and it's cheaper than ammo.

i hafta admit, originally i did mine for the "snipery cool custom looking" factor, or just as some have personalized plates on their car, it's a one of a kind and something different from the guy sitting next to me at the range.

along the way, even with a krylon / rustoleum job, i've found that it does protect a bit from corrosion. oils tend to attract crap too, a can of air to the kryloned one and the crap is off.

also cuts down on one more foreign scent (oils / protectants) for hunting critters that depend on noses a whole lot.

one could argue the "shine" element for hunting too, along with everything else one may use for hunting may be camoed, why not the 4 foot piece of equipment slung over the shoulder.

one a single / two toned, or multitoned rifle that's not camoed, i think it gives the rifle a slicker look if done tastefully whether a walmart rattle can, ceracote, duracoat, etc..

but if as in the opening thread it was a S&B or top end customized deal, i think i'd go the extra and not consider a walmart rattle can job.

luckily, no guilt doing a 300.00 savage

or a 220.00 used mossberg

3rd grade. Friend decided to color his dick black with a magic marker. Claimed he got the idea from MAD magazine. Took a very very long time for that shit to wear off and he got his ass beat good by his mom.