• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle carrying backpack

In the economy range, from Wal-Mart, Fieldline Pro Series 1,025 Cui Glenwood Canyon Internal Frame Pack, Realtree Xtra Camo

Listing for $48.88, This Fieldline Pro Series 1,025 Cui Glenwood Canyon Internal Frame Pack features a front access scope pocket and is equipped with ultra-quiet zipper pulls. This item also has top and vertical pack entries and a stowable rifle carrier pouch with a zipper. The Fieldline backpack is made from a strong polyester oxford material, making it suitable for use in all conditions.
c5efcf82-4ee9-40ba-a942-490e7a6ad281_1.aa70cc6bba1c18f1ecfe9b8de7216092.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odn...jpg

I own three of them. They are H2O pouch compatible.

Greg

Last edited:
Another for the gunslinger 2. Fits a rpr or lr .308. I use the aluminum frame. Im sure the kifaru or mystery ranch are also nice. I have zero complaints packing the gs2.

I'm using the Eberlestock Gunslinger II. It's a great pack and very comfortable. My only complaint is the interior/main pocket is a bit unorganized. It is very large, but everything just kind of sloshes around in there. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any products that can act as an organizer and/or insert? I mainly haul ammo, suppressor, bipod, rest, and other ods and ends.

I will dissent and state that I love my Mystery Ranch gun carrier and didn't like the eberlestock as much.

I'm using the Eberlestock Gunslinger II. It's a great pack and very comfortable. My only complaint is the interior/main pocket is a bit unorganized. It is very large, but everything just kind of sloshes around in there. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any products that can act as an organizer and/or insert? I mainly haul ammo, suppressor, bipod, rest, and other ods and ends.

Pretty sure the inside is lined with Molle webbing. You could buy small pocket sized bags to store individual pieces of gear. London Bridge or Tactical Tailor have a good assortment.

On the outside of mine I have an Atlas carry bag for my Atlas bipod/accessories and a London Bridge medium molle bag that holds ammo. Inside I haven't added any organizers but I have a No Name Tactical front/rear bag combo, an M49 scope in its can and tripod in its bag, than the bottom is filled with some minimal cold weather comfort gear. Top compartment is Borka tool kit, some magazines, an LMT torgue limiter, scope lens cleaning kit. Its pretty maxed out with that load but the rest bags take up the majority of space.

Is this strictly for day hunting or backpack hunting and will you be packing meat out or can you get a vehicle to it? Regardless when it comes to load bearing the best packs made the heaviest weights bearable and regular weights feel good. Despite good competition I still put Kifaru at the top of the heap for a bomb proof load bearing hunting pack. Lots of ways to strap a rifle to a pack so you'll have to check out models and accessories.

It would be for Day hunting only, but I would have to pack meat out a couple miles as the area is not accessible by vehicle.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

Kifaru with a gun bearer is what I run. Hunting frame with arrow stays duplex timberline 1 bag with a guide lid. The gunbrarer kicks ass for a great way to carry a rifle with easy access I've carried my surgeon 7-08 ackley many miles in it as well as my 28nosler and 7stw. Quick system to get you gun into action. Kifaru weighs a little more than some options but when you get 80-100 lbs in there it carries great with no hot spots or extreme discomfort. A hundred pounds on your back in tough terrain sucks but it's doable. Eberlestock's weren't nearly as comfortable with heavy loads. Mystery ranch is a close second to kifaru. Exo and stone glacier have some great offerings as well. I would buy a kuiu before I bought another eberlestock. And kuiu's frame is known to fail. The bags are laid out with awesome organization but the frame is the weak link.
91814d8573c122069af3aceab845fb47.jpg

That's a 10 day camp and my rifle is on the right side in the gunbrarer

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Yea the gun bearer looks great! But it doesn't seem wide enough for a chassis based rifle so I've purchased the butt bucket to use in the same manner as the gun bearer, regardless of what pack I end up getting.

Sold an Ebelestock Gunslinger and an X3 Low Drag and bought a Kifaru Spike Camp with a Gun Bearer- which will accommodate an XLR Evo chassis butt.

I have a Kifaru with the gun bearer and it carries my AIAX just fine. Many good options out there but once you have tried Kifaru all else will seem mediocre. In my humble opinion.

I have a Kifaru with the gun bearer and it carries my AIAX just fine. Many good options out there but once you have tried Kifaru all else will seem mediocre. In my humble opinion.

Really? Hmm I noticed on the site there's 2 gun bearer's. The universal and the regular, do you know which one you have? Thanks

They say universal one if for use with other non-Kifaru packs and that the regular one can only be used with Kifaru due to the method of attaching to the belt. I tried it on an Eberlestock pack that I have and it appears to work fine. I think if you have a couple of well supported Molle loops on the waist belt it would work.

They say universal one if for use with other non-Kifaru packs and that the regular one can only be used with Kifaru due to the method of attaching to the belt. I tried it on an Eberlestock pack that I have and it appears to work fine. I think if you have a couple of well supported Molle loops on the waist belt it would work.

Ok I might have to order one of those and see which works better.

I tried an Eberlestock and was not impressed. I love my Mystery Ranch packs (Overload and 3DAP), especially since they are bringing back the Stick-it. Great accessory to lash a rifle on the outside of a day pack. Too bad it will be Fall at the earliest we see it.

i am running the kifaru duplex hunter framecomposite stays bag. The gun bearer carries my 13 pound rifle with ease. I have ran two different eberlestock and they are nice packs but do not carry weight very well with out having functional load lifters. I would look at kifaru,stone glacier, exo mountain and mystery ranch to bad MR went over seas with their production. I will tell you this i have called kifaru about questions and that is Aron Snyder specifically on saturdays and odd times in the evening and he has spent time getting the pack to fit perfectly. Customer service is top notch.

This is my big problem with packs. You can hang pockets and gear all over the outsides but no molle or velcro on the inside.....wtf!?! These guys sells rigid molle panels that I have been considering : https://greyman-tactical.com/

Last edited:
Mystery ranch makes inexpensive pouches that go inside of a pack. I have several to arrange my survival gear.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/zoid-bag-medium

Thanks! Pouches and cases I have. Having a system inside the pack to connects them and keeps them organized is what I am lack. My range and hunting packs are both just a series of cases and pouches piled on top of each other, that I then dummy cord, so I wont lose them in "battle". its just a mess.

Has anyone tried the 5.11 Igniter pack? I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on it. It looks perfect for what I need, however it sounds like a big disappointment.

Tyr COMA harness with a mod for stowing a rifle on the back just like the Kifaru International does.

I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 and it rocks. It's very comfortable and well made. Just a tiny bit heavier than I like but it's not bad.
Great looking pack. May have to get one. I hump a rifle Mule Deer hunting.

For a lever gun, it's relatively easy to add a saddle ring and then use a single point harness - the cavalry carbines in the mid 1800s were the first use of a single point sling, despite the cries of all the operator types now who probably think it's a recent invention.

Even without a sling a non-scoped lever action is well balanced and easy to carry.

------

For a bolt action rifle, you can run a short piece of partially gutted paracord through the existing QD sling swivel studs, then tie the resulting loops through the ends of a regular nylon sling.

The end result is that the sling loops come up over the top of the barrel and the butt so that the rifle hangs right side up, and they fall away to the sides when you bring the rifle up to fire.

Don't go crazy with the length of the loops, but it's works well if the rear loop is long enough to come up over the rear of the stock so you can but it under the stock when not needed.

I've never carried a Mystery Ranch, but I carried Dana Design packs many, many miles and although heavy they were always very comfortable under a heavy load and bomb proof. I still have a couple even though they haven't been made in decades. I have an Eberlstock and it' a nice pack -- caries pretty well. Alternatively, if you're travelling light, you can use a lightweight day pack or butt pack and this
https://tabgear.configio.com/pd/894/tab-biathlon-sling?cid=276&returncom=productlist&source=search

I've never carried a Mystery Ranch, but I carried Dana Design packs many, many miles and although heavy they were always very comfortable under a heavy load and bomb proof. I still have a couple even though they haven't been made in decades. I have an Eberlstock and it' a nice pack -- caries pretty well. Alternatively, if you're travelling light, you can use a lightweight day pack or butt pack and this
https://tabgear.configio.com/pd/894/tab-biathlon-sling?cid=276&returncom=productlist&source=search

I wouldn’t recommend Mystery Ranch. Very heavy and mine plus another competitors started falling apart at the last Hide Cup. It’s not like we were being harsh on the packs. I should have bought the Arcteryx Khard.

I have used a eberlestock gs2 for a while now. I have taken it on multiple day hunts as well as using for comps. It works great in competition, but i dont use the scabbard when hunting, as it packs much nicer off of a sling across my chest. For actual packing get something without an internal scabbard. Use a sling or strap to the outside. When i pack without the gun in the pack i can strap the load tighter to my pack and it rides better. Last year i took a small pack for the hiking and just used the gs2 to transport to location.

Hi everyone, new here. I came across this thread and was just wondering everyone's thoughts on best rifle backpack for a 3 day hunt. I'll be carrying this rifle. It's about 53 inches. I've got back pack style drag bag from voodoo tactical but need something that handles all.
20181103_124939.jpg

I have a Gunslinger 2 and have decided to make the switch to a Mystery Ranch pack. Ordered the 3 Day Assault Pack. I find that I'm loading more into the G2 than I need and really wanted to cut weight especially if I end up doing the Mammoth Sniper Challenge. We'll see how it works out with carry a rifle.

Any updates?

My newly acquired Eberlestock LoDrag 2 pack. Loaded out it’s pretty heavy. AF593FA1-32ED-4F57-A660-10EC2DE4719F.jpeg

Reactions: MSTN
does the barrel section fold back in neatly when not needed to carry the rifle?

Yes it does. It folds back up and under, inside and has a strap and buckle to hold it in place. My only problem with my eberlestock is that it becomes top heavy. The weight doesn’t bother me, it’s the top heaviness I get. Strapping stuff on the outside helps tremendously. I do carry all my bags in mine tho. Getting your gear down to one bag helps tremendously.

Yes it does. It folds back up and under, inside and has a strap and buckle to hold it in place. My only problem with my eberlestock is that it becomes top heavy. The weight doesn’t bother me, it’s the top heaviness I get. Strapping stuff on the outside helps tremendously. I do carry all my bags in mine tho. Getting your gear down to one bag helps tremendously.
can you carry with the weight of the stock down instead of up? I have a RPR that folds, I would think I would want to
carry folded with stock side down.

can you carry with the weight of the stock down instead of up? I have a RPR that folds, I would think I would want to
carry folded with stock side down.

You can, if it will fit. None of my folders do. I don’t think the pack was designed for them to be carried that way. The way the bag tapers pretty much forces you to carry barrel down. However, to answer your question, if you could carry the way you want to, it would significantly balance out better. I think I may go with a Vorn as it’s designed to be carried more in line with what you are thinking. Keep in mind, carrying barrel up can cause its on set of problems if using in the field with no cover. Really just depends on what you are using it for.

You can, if it will fit. None of my folders do. I don’t think the pack was designed for them to be carried that way. The way the bag tapers pretty much forces you to carry barrel down. However, to answer your question, if you could carry the way you want to, it would significantly balance out better. I think I may go with a Vorn as it’s designed to be carried more in line with what you are thinking. Keep in mind, carrying barrel up can cause its on set of problems if using in the field with no cover. Really just depends on what you are using it for.
Right, I was thinking a lightweight sock/sleeve to cover the barrel...

I ordered the LoDrag 2 solely on what I saw online and was scared it was going to be too big. It’s actually perfect for ME. It fits a Game Changer in the bottom compartment just fine as well as other support gear with plenty of room to spare.

The design and build quality are quite good. It is a lighter weight construction than my Eberlestock Half Track pack, which I consider to be overly built and rather heavy when completely empty.

I've not had the chance to use a Kifaru.