• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle case choices

Longgun-308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2019
I’ve been looking around for a rifle case that will hold my new ELR rifle, the completed rifle length is 53 inches long. I was wondering what everyone else uses when the travel to matches and the range?

I have a Pelican 1770, but I need to pull my barreled action from the stock for it to fit. Thinking about getting the Armageddon Gear ELR bag for range trips so I won’t have to break my rifle down.

These are amazing

58" will work.

Creedmoor Sports makes a 60" as well

Scott

I've got the Creedmoor Sports case but I need to figure out something hard for flying because I see that in my future.
I've got a pelican case I could make work if I take the action out of the stock. that might be the route to go.

Here you go. Massively oversized for not a stupid price:

I use them for my camera system since they are 5" wide and most cases are made too narrow for that. For guns, it means you get a lot of padding around the scope. The plug foam is in two layers and lines up from layer to layer so it works out nicely for most ELR needs.

-Alex

You can check with Cliff at Ponderosa Sports in Boise for a stinger missile box.
They are military surplus and he sells them for a tenth of what they cost new around $250.
They will hold a 65 inch rifle with a 8 inch forend and they even have a pressure relief valve.
You usually see them at 50 caliber matches . I see one listed in Southern Oregon for $350.
The downside is they are heavy and you need a longbed truck if you want the tailgate closed.

If your after a soft case Evo snowboard bags are as cheap as you can go and 65 inches long isn't a problem at around $60-$90.

You can check with Cliff at Ponderosa Sports in Boise for a stinger missile box.
They are military surplus and he sells them for a tenth of what they cost new around $250.
They will hold a 65 inch rifle with a 8 inch forend and they even have a pressure relief valve.
You usually see them at 50 caliber matches . I see one listed in Southern Oregon for $350.
The downside is they are heavy and you need a longbed truck if you want the tailgate closed.

If your after a soft case Evo snowboard bags are as cheap as you can go and 65 inches long isn't a problem at around $60-$90.
Before the weight and size restrictions came into force I used to fly with my 50 in one of those. The looks on airport security when you walk in carrying a box that says aerial interceptor on the side... Priceless :)

-Alex

• Haha
Reactions: BCX
Explorer makes a really nice hard case for longer guns. I want to say, close to 60”.

Have several Armageddon cases. They are very sturdy.

cadex makes a massive 62” drag bag that is super overbuilt, padded, pockets for days for only like $215

just another option

58" will work.

Creedmoor Sports makes a 60" as well

Scott
So I've had two of the 58" Armageddon gear Precision rifle bags for about 4 years and they are excellent, and they both hold my 338 Lapua in an MPA chassis with a Gen 2 Razor on top top no problem.

I just received a new one from Eurooptic and my 338 doesn't fit yet. The zipper gets stuck on the elevation turret. I've scooted the buttstock all the way back, but still no go. The nylon and foam both feel way more burley and it may need time to break in. And I think there is a much thicker pad running along the zipper which hits the turret.
I don't remember the first pair I bought being this burley. This is a good thing and an incredibly well made bag, but maybe they could have made the dimensions just a hair bigger.
I'll break it in with a smaller rifle.

Scott