• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle case question

slangvel

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
Looking for suggestions, what would be a good case for a Ruger PSR? Is it good to keep the scope on the rifle while cased or taken off. New at this, 73 and want to do it right, thanks for reading.

Reactions: Brico Lage
Case just for storage at home or for taking from safe to the range or....?

Leave the scope on. No need to take it off.

Looking for suggestions, what would be a good case for a Ruger PSR? Is it good to keep the scope on the rifle while cased or taken off. New at this, 73 and want to do it right, thanks for reading.
Leave the scope on. If its a case to take to and from the range then a simple soft case/drag bag like the midway bag will be just fine: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171584

If its for home storage, I would get a pelican 1750 and either take the foam out (so it doesn't retain moisture and cause issues) or take the foam out and put the gun and drag bag inside it and lock it if its to keep it away from kids etc.

Reactions: Qwkcrss and Rob01
I thought I needed a big badass hard case to take my precision rifle to the range. I bought the hard case, cut the foam, etc. the hard case was heavy, bulky, and tore the shit out of my car. I use a nice padded case from Cabelas now and am not missing anything. If anything I appreciate the fact that my generic case doesn’t scream “steal this one!”

It comes down to what you will use it for and what you will carry AND what you are willing to pay.

This one is reasonable and won't break the bank

Armageddon Gear Case

There are nicer ones and cheaper ones just like anything. If the case is made for a precision rifle, it will be properly sized to allow your scope to stay on. I use an Eberlestock drag bag but that is 2X the cost. It is my favorite. What you will find is choice of materials, zippers and placement of the handle matters much. Too many cases set the handles too far back and the balance of the case sucks. Quality for me is job one

I am wondering if you are the Slangvel that makes boonie hats? If you are, I know you will understand the quality aspect. That is why I have a ton of your hats

Last edited:
It comes down to what you will use it for and what you will carry AND what you are willing to pay.

This one is reasonable and won't break the bank

Armageddon Gear Case

There are nicer ones and cheaper ones just like anything. If the case is made for a precision rifle, it will be properly sized to allow your scope to stay on. I use an Eberlestock drag bag but that is 2X the cost. It is my favorite. What you will find is choice of materials, zippers and placement of the handle matters much. Too many cases set the handles too far back and the balance of the case sucks. Quality for me is job one

I am wondering if you are the Slangvel that makes boogie hats? If you are, I know you will understand the quality aspect. That is why I have a ton of your hats

I can’t recommend that case enough. I have two of the smaller one and they are perfect. I can fit a 28 inch barrel with brake in it and it is tall enough so there is no stress on the scope. After using bulldog cases and having to replace them every 6-9 month due to stitching or the zippers going bad I decided to try one and the workmanship is top notch

Reactions: IronicTwitch
I thought I needed a big badass hard case to take my precision rifle to the range. I bought the hard case, cut the foam, etc. the hard case was heavy, bulky, and tore the shit out of my car. I use a nice padded case from Cabelas now and am not missing anything. If anything I appreciate the fact that my generic case doesn’t scream “steal this one!”
Agree with this 100%. while pelicans are nice, if not required, for certain travel, they are a pain in the ass for casual use. Also, a number of the "tactical" soft cases can be heavy and awkward.

I doubt you will be throwing this rifle in the bed of a pickup truck along with half dozen loose cinder blocks sliding around. most people are a little more cautious with their rifles.

I suggest taking measurements of your rifle and find one of the lesser expensive, simple, soft cases. I have used the 52" case in the link to hall around up to an 18 lb rifle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4FY1RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I second the Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle Case, I have on of these and for the price IMO these cases can't be beat, also look at the Triad Tactical case these look really nice too, both made in USA. Leave the scope on the rifle the only time I take a scope off is if it needs to come off for maintenance or swapping scopes, I tend to move scopes around sometimes try different scopes on different rifles, I never leave rifles stored in a case, had a bad experience many years ago storing a rifle in a hard case, just store the rifles in a safe with the scopes on and you're good to go.

My rifle that’s a folder is in a double AR bag.
My lighter rifle is in a Erberlestock backpack as I hike with it occasionally

Reactions: DMP
i also echo the suggestion to avoid open cell foam if you intend to store the rifle in the case. open cell foam can hold moisture.
closed cell foam is ok.

I’m currently using a drag bag from Midway, but looking for something less conspicuous than chocolate chip cookie camo for traveling to matches. Debating a Pelican case with some Fender stickers.

Reactions: theLBC
I grabbed a Nanuk case (similar to pelican) off a prize table at my last match. I never had a drag bag or other hard case before for my rifle, it just went in a gun sock essentially and got thrown on the back seat of my truck. I like the hard case and it gives me lots of space to include a rangefinder, kestrel, mags, cleaning rod and other accessories in it when going to the range or a match. I often pack it all up and throw it in the box of my truck now. However if I was spending my own money on it, I likely would have gone with a drag bag type case.

I’m currently using a drag bag from Midway, but looking for something less conspicuous than chocolate chip cookie camo for traveling to matches. Debating a Pelican case with some Fender stickers.
i use a soft guitar case sometimes. :)

I have the Armageddon case and use it for shotgun a bunch. Always get great comments about how much people like it.

I recently splurged on the tacops drag bag and threw my eberlrstock lo drag bag in the closet. Very nice and we'll thought out bag.

THAT said, I own more Ace Case tactical bags than anything else. Plenty of padding. Great cases at a great price

Keep the scope on, buy a case to fit gun with scope on it. Is this for transport or storage or both? What are your state laws regarding weapons transportation, meaning do you have to lock the case? Are you ever going to be flying with this gun case? Is weight a concern?

Hard cases are in the neighborhood of 15-30lbs extra weight on top of 14-20# PSR and that doesn't include ammo or other crap you shove in the case. If you get the right one, they are waterproof, dustproof and somewhat crushproof not to mention airline approved if you pick the right one.

Soft bags server their purpose if you are staying local, but some might not have the ability to be locked for security. If your local law enforcement is a pain, something to consider.

I'm a fan of the Armageddon rifle bag. It's relatively light weight, padded enough I don't have to worry about my gun and they put some thought into the design for handle placement, storage and the strap.

The midway drag bags are less expensive and not a bad choice either. I own one and have my reservations about recommending them because it's designed as a two rifle bag but putting two rifles in it is just awkward. Using it as a singe rifle bag, is not bad but it's a lot of added weight from the fabric and I absolutely hate the zippers it uses.

I'd stay away from the other midway bags with maybe the exception of the Tactical Shooting Matt Case.

Given the bulk of the PSR, you will probably have to focus on a tactical type bag and it will have to accommodate 44" or 48/50" depending on your model of PSR. Of course if you still have the factory stock you can fold it, but again this will most likely require a "tactical" style bag to accommodate the added bulk of the folded stock. If you have a suppressor you want to leave on that's another check box for the length limitations of most bags.

I recently splurged on the tacops drag bag and threw my eberlrstock lo drag bag in the closet. Very nice and we'll thought out bag.

I looked and the Tac Ops and the Eberlestock Drag bag. I did purchase that Eberlestock about a year ago. Care to say what makes the Tac Ops better? I’m not al all defending my purchase, rather looking for insight from someone who has both.

To the OP:

As stated, I have a use the above mentioned Eberlestock drag bag, and an older Blackhawk precision rifle case, and an Eagle HRSC the most. They all have their good and bad points.

My guess is this is for trips from the vehicle to the shooting area. That said their are many solutions to that. A fairly simple bag will give decent protection while not getting really heavy like some can get when you stuff them full of all of your shooting gear.

When I need to carry a lot of stuff together, I grab my Eberlestock Gunslinger II or maybe the Eberlestock Drag Bag.

Just
i also echo the suggestion to avoid open cell foam if you intend to store the rifle in the case. open cell foam can hold moisture.
closed cell foam is ok.
How can you tell the difference between the 2?

Just
How can you tell the difference between the 2?

common pick and pluck foam is an example of open cell (like a sponge).
you can still use this but i would spray it with a sealer like plastidip once you have it how you want it.
Standard%20Pick-n-Pluck%20Foam-2.jpg

i suggest kaizen foam for gun cases. this is the kind of foam with layers you can peel out of sections.

s-l400.jpg

here is an example (ridgid toolbox converted to gun case).

BWWNU8S.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Qwkcrss
I have this and it's incredible quality. I bought it on sale and was a bit skeptical at first due to the price but reviews were good so I gave it a shot. Very happy.
Otherwise, I use Pelican for everything as I've used them for years for camera equipment and other things and never had an issue...except the price 😆

I looked and the Tac Ops and the Eberlestock Drag bag. I did purchase that Eberlestock about a year ago. Care to say what makes the Tac Ops better? I’m not al all defending my purchase, rather looking for insight from someone who has both.

To the OP:

As stated, I have a use the above mentioned Eberlestock drag bag, and an older Blackhawk precision rifle case, and an Eagle HRSC the most. They all have their good and bad points.

My guess is this is for trips from the vehicle to the shooting area. That said their are many solutions to that. A fairly simple bag will give decent protection while not getting really heavy like some can get when you stuff them full of all of your shooting gear.

When I need to carry a lot of stuff together, I grab my Eberlestock Gunslinger II or maybe the Eberlestock Drag Bag.
let me clarify, i have the x3 lodrag bag. not the sniper sled drag bag.

i like the tacops a lot because its well thought out. i hardly ever open the bag all the way, usually unzip the end and slide my rifle in. the interior pockets are well thought out and simple. i like the shoulder straps too, much less bulky than my eberlestock. .

the armageddon is simple and well made. very easy to grab, stuff and though the sling over the shoulder. the tacops, i have a couple bullet binders and some mags in and then i slip my rifle in and go. i did flip the shoulder straps over so that i carry it muzzle down. just feels better that way to me.

common pick and pluck foam is an example of open cell (like a sponge).
you can still use this but i would spray it with a sealer like plastidip once you have it how you want it.
Standard%20Pick-n-Pluck%20Foam-2.jpg

i suggest kaizen foam for gun cases. this is the kind of foam with layers you can peel out of sections.

s-l400.jpg

here is an example (ridgid toolbox converted to gun case).

BWWNU8S.jpg
The plastidip won't flake off everywhere after a short time?

The plastidip won't flake off everywhere after a short time?
no. if you put on a decent coat it will create a solid flexible plastic coating that won't suck up moisture.

Reactions: Qwkcrss and chrome
I have a pelican case that I rarely use. Heavy and bulky, but it has its place. Most of the time I use a Savior from Amazon. It's a great bag, not just for the price. I have other bags and cases that cost me 2 and 3 times the Savior, it's a nice bag period.

no. if you put on a decent coat it will create a solid flexible plastic coating that won't suck up moisture.

^this is good advice. Starting using plastidip on all my foam cases recently, helps keep the foam in place and stop from fraying.

I have a pelican case that I rarely use. Heavy and bulky, but it has its place. Most of the time I use a Savior from Amazon. It's a great bag, not just for the price. I have other bags and cases that cost me 2 and 3 times the Savior, it's a nice bag period.
I agree. I have personally looked at Voodoo Tactical as well as others that look almost identical and cost twice the Savior at least. The Pelican is heavy but I've found it's biggest advantage is if you ship or fly with your guns. Otherwise the Savior is my go to.

Second vote for the Savior case. I have an old one that I believe was NC Star from few decades ago. It's held up fine for that long.
Just bought a Savior to fit my bolt gun and the quality is far better than my old case. If the cheap one is any indicator, then the Savior should last till my son inherits my guns.

let me clarify, i have the x3 lodrag bag. not the sniper sled drag bag.

i like the tacops a lot because its well thought out. i hardly ever open the bag all the way, usually unzip the end and slide my rifle in. the interior pockets are well thought out and simple. i like the shoulder straps too, much less bulky than my eberlestock. .

the armageddon is simple and well made. very easy to grab, stuff and though the sling over the shoulder. the tacops, i have a couple bullet binders and some mags in and then i slip my rifle in and go. i did flip the shoulder straps over so that i carry it muzzle down. just feels better that way to me.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Your comparing a pack vs. a drag bag essentially. Yeah. Their worlds apart in functionality.

Defining the mission is the first thing, but we all understand where the OP is (kinda) coming from. We all want to buy something that will do everything, when nothing will and there’s a multitude of ways to carry a rifle to the FFP. Much of it depends on how far that really is.

I only have the one hard case left (a Kolpin Tactical with a separate inner liner) for that odd airline transport.

As far as soft cases go - I got rid of my various Eberlestocks, TacOps, Beretta, etc, and use Filson scoped & un scoped cases ever since they came out.

I just picked up another one a couple days back, in 46"outside length flavor, it's a great fit for a 42" OAL scoped rifle.

They look all old timey-grandpa like, but they're quiet, durable, water proof after an extra coat of wax, and discreet.

11070057_Tan_main_01.png.jpeg

Different strokes for different folks. I sold my TacOps bag after getting the Eberlestock. Not for any reason other than the pockets and configuration options of the Eberlestock was way better suited for me.

I found no real differences with respect to the quality and construction of either bag.

I've had a few drag bags, from TacOps to Midway. I don't mind a stitch here or there failing (on cheaper bags), but a failed zipper makes it useless.

I also buy soft bags that are sized for Pelicans (prefer Storm line...a bit deeper) of which I keep one of each length....iM 3100/3200/3300. Then, on those rare occasions I need more protection than a soft bag, the soft bag drops into a Pelican.

Budget start = 50" Midway bag for $100, then you can grab an iM3300 at some point if you need it. (shop around...some places charge as much for without foam as they do with.) The AG bag probably a bit nicer, but 52" won't fit a Pelican...so it's out for me. (TacOps and Eberlestock keep Pelican sizing in mind, if you want to spend a bit more.

Also, started using Kaizen foam recently for a DIY AI takedown case project. Allows for multi-level (think 3D) customization. Use their double-sided tape to bond multiple sheets (levels) together. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
I've had a few drag bags, from TacOps to Midway. I don't mind a stitch here or there failing (on cheaper bags), but a failed zipper makes it useless.

I also buy soft bags that are sized for Pelicans (prefer Storm line...a bit deeper) of which I keep one of each length....iM 3100/3200/3300. Then, on those rare occasions I need more protection than a soft bag, the soft bag drops into a Pelican.

Budget start = 50" Midway bag for $100, then you can grab an iM3300 at some point if you need it. (shop around...some places charge as much for without foam as they do with.) The AG bag probably a bit nicer, but 52" won't fit a Pelican...so it's out for me. (TacOps and Eberlestock keep Pelican sizing in mind, if you want to spend a bit more.

Also, started using Kaizen foam recently for a DIY AI takedown case project. Allows for multi-level (think 3D) customization. Use their double-sided tape to bond multiple sheets (levels) together. Worked like a charm.
My bud has a Pelican storm iM3410 storm long case that he puts his 52" bag in without issue.

My bud has a Pelican storm iM3410 storm long case that he puts his 52" bag in without issue.
True. I should have clarified... I personally don't need anything larger than the 3300, so my soft bags mirror that.

Reactions: Nik H
For going to the range I've been using an eberlestock drag bag and it easily fits my axmc with all the various mags, bolts, and a couple barrels. Side pockets on it easily fit a case of ammo, mat, hearing pro, targets, stapler, and the magneetospeed. https://eberlestock.com/collections/shooting/products/sniper-sled-drag-bag-52

When the rifle is being "stored" it lives in a Pelican V800 with Kaizen foam that I cut myself. Use the Pelican at home because I put pad locks on it to store (no kids but we don't have room in our apartment for a rifle safe) and want to be on the safe side. Sits buried in the closet next to the handgun safe.

I only have the one hard case left (a Kolpin Tactical with a separate inner liner) for that odd airline transport.

As far as soft cases go - I got rid of my various Eberlestocks, TacOps, Beretta, etc, and use Filson scoped & un scoped cases ever since they came out.

I just picked up another one a couple days back, in 46"outside length flavor, it's a great fit for a 42" OAL scoped rifle.

They look all old timey-grandpa like, but they're quiet, durable, water proof after an extra coat of wax, and discreet.

I might wanna grab this if price is right where can i get them from.

Filsons are nice but the price for what you get is just too damn high. Other cheaper cases in price give you much more padding and protection. At $166 the Armageddon gear precision rifle case is also not very tactical looking and would be my choice before the Filson.

Filson must use thread spun of Golden Fleece for the prices they charge. I've never understood it.

I can’t recommend that case enough. I have two of the smaller one and they are perfect. I can fit a 28 inch barrel with brake in it and it is tall enough so there is no stress on the scope. After using bulldog cases and having to replace them every 6-9 month due to stitching or the zippers going bad I decided to try one and the workmanship is top notch
+1 I have all the pelicans etc. that bad boy is my go to! That case and a small back pack and I’m set

Yes, but that Filson Golden Fleece thread is far easier to warranty than the Hensoldt teutonic fairy dust.

In case I need warranty on either, of course.

Filson must use thread spun of Golden Fleece for the prices they charge. I've never understood it.

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
Have not seen the Filson gun cases they look pretty nice but $350.00 is a bit much, don't know anything about the twill fabric but the Filson tin cloth jackets I have are super nice have been wearing them on jobsites for 20+ years just cant wear them out, I think I would go with the AG precision rifle case, similar design and really nice padded cases.

You & me both; no matter how much I abuse the tin cloth jacket & brush pants they barely wear out, and when they fray, I just have tin cloth strips cover the frays.

That twill is about double the thickness of tin cloth, and is water resistant. I end up using tin cloth wax on the twill anyway...

I think all that thick bridle leather (& there's lots of it) adds to the price.

Anybody try Patriot Cases? For $200, "Boyt hard case, with Bolt Rifle with fitted pre-cut high density 2.2lb polyethylene foam."

I'm torn between that and the Armegeddon bag for $169.
Those two aren’t comparable. First decide hard case or soft.

A lot of people, me included, bought hard cases because they are tougher (I bought one for photo gear, not rifles). In daily use, however, most find that a slim soft case that has “enough” padding is the best. Advantages for soft cases: lighter, doesn’t hurt when it bangs against you, doesn’t damage your car when you brush against it, fits in your car easier (usually shorter, flexible), tends to have expandable pouches for ammo, have shoulder/backpack straps etc etc.

I’d only buy a hard case if I knew it was going to be in an airplane, shipped, or in the back of a truck with crap on top of it.

I own two Armageddon precision rifle cases and they are great.

Reactions: IronicTwitch
^this is good advice. Starting using plastidip on all my foam cases recently, helps keep the foam in place and stop from fraying.
Do you put optics in a case that has Plasti Dip? I read on another forum that it my have gasses that effect the scope and could make it cloudy?? Do you have any experience with this?

Do you put optics in a case that has Plasti Dip? I read on another forum that it my have gasses that effect the scope and could make it cloudy?? Do you have any experience with this?

I did yeah, no issues. I let the foam dry for several days before utilizing.

Reactions: smokey24_24