• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Rifle choice for F T/R

Griff24

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Pflugerville, TX
I'm about to dive head first into F class and I'm trying to find the best choice of rifle. I have about 5K to spend on the rifle and optics.

The top of the list right now is a Savage 12 F/TR along with a Nightforce 42X. This puts me ~1500 below my budget which is fine, but I'd rather spend more now than cough up that 1500$ 12 months down the road.

Are the 3K US Optic scopes worth it for shooting at these ranges and targets?

Would it be a better choice to buy the Savage action and install it plus a custom barrel in a chassis? Another option is a completely custom rifle but that may be over my budget. Build times are a concern as well. I want to be practicing with the rifle in no more than 30 days and competing locally by March.

I'm not including reloading gear into the cost as it will be dual purpose and not just for the F class rifle. AR is hungry.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS. Any Austin area shooters posting in here?

Re: Rifle choice for F T/R

Your suggested Savage/NF combo would make a very, very fine F-Class rig. Any limitation at that point would be on you rather than your equipment, which is exactly where you want to be, IMO. I was just looking at USO scopes yesterday myself. I think the issues with them as far as F-Class is concerned are that the max mag you can get is only 25X (unless I missed some model that has more) and the turrets are 0.25 MOA clicks. Even though I occasionally turn a scope down to around 25X during a competition if the mirage is really bad, I wouldn't prefer to be limited to a max of 25X. I also prefer the finer adjustment of 1/8th MOA clicks. The USO scopes have a great reputation for their optical clarity and performance, however they're simply not specifically designed for F-Class shooting. There is no doubt you could get away with using one, particularly for midrange matches. But sooner or later, you'll probably want higher mag and 1/8th minute adjustments, so why not get them from the start. I have several NF 12-42x56 scopes with NP-2DD reticles on F-T/R rifles, and I have yet to find them lacking for that purpose. You could use the ~$1500 savings for the exact bipod you want, or any of several other items that you will likely find you want once you get into competition shooting. Something always pops up that costs $$$ (LOL). Hope this info is helpful and best of luck with your shooting.

I'd go with the Savage. I would go for the Nightforce 8-32 or 12-42X with a fine cross hair. that is what I see the majority of F-class shotters running.

First off, Welcome to the 'Hide!

Great choice in equipment. Spend the rest of your funds on a quality spotting scope. You can thank me later...
grin.gif

I hope you enjoy F-Class as much as the rest of us. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up a spotting scope and range finder. Is a chrono required for loading or can I just go group size?

i would go with a custom action bat for me and march or nightforce

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griff24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up a spotting scope and range finder. Is a chrono required for loading or can I just go group size? </div></div>

F-Class matches are fired at known distances so there's no need for a range finder. You'll be concerned with the extreme spread of your loads so having access to a chrono is helpful.

The current national champion won shooting a trued Savage action in a PR&T stock with a Brux barrel. An out of the box Savage will shoot better than you for longer than your barrel will last. I would not bother with a custom action at this point. Maybe in a couple of yrs you may want to build one. It won't make you shoot any better, but they are nice to own.

I run a NF 12-42, I think about 90% of F class guys do. Take a look at reticles, but one of the most popular is the NP-2DD, but if like me you get addicted to that reticle you can't get it from another manufacturer. The other option for a scope would be to get a Sightron 10-50 with a fine cross hair. I nearly switched from a Nightforce 8-32 to that scope but decided I didn't want to change reticles. You want 1/8 MOA clicks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stuff you didn't ask about in your first post</span>

A Chrono is <span style="text-decoration: underline">almost</span> mandatory for loading. Shooting F class we tend to load pretty hot and a chrono provides a lot of useful information for load development. You are going to spend untold hours plugging numbers into JBM and figuring out what is worth how much at what range and what wind.

Reloading: get a full length body die, a bushing bump die, and a Lee Collet sizer. The cheap $28 Lee is a great tool. It makes for consistent neck tension and straight necks w/o messing with turning necks. Maybe someday I'll mess with neck turning but I don't see it on my horizon.

Bipod: pick one, there are several good ones, I use a Sinclair v.3 all of them are expensive, figure about $300 for a good pod.

Rear Bag: I think it's more important than the bipod, not which one but one that is stable, and that the rifle tracks straight back in. If you are fighting with your rear bag you are dropping points. I use an Edgewood, there are a lot out there, you want a heavy one.

Bullets: There are a lot of guys going to 200gr class bullets. Starting out I'd recommend you stay with the 175/185 class bullets for now. They are more forgiving of your form and from everything I'm reading the guys with lots of experience can still have a bad day with the heavies. Bergers are the standard that everyone uses in competition, but at 46¢ to 50¢ each they only buy you about 1 inch of windage per MPH of full value wind and about 1MOA of vertical at 1000 yards. I'd suggest you start out using Hornady 178 HPBTs. They work great, you can usually find them and they cost less than 30¢ each. (and they shoot better than 175 SMKS) When your scores are in the high 180s to low 190s, then you can start worrying about the 2 points a match that the Bergers might have saved you, until then, save your money there is a lot of other stuff you'll want along the way. In my current barrel I can load the 178s and the 185s with the exact same load.

<span style="font-style: italic">One more thing on bullets, once you figure out which bullet you want to shoot in competition buy 1000 of them. You're going to use them. I put about 1700 through my new barrel this yr, and by the end of the summer everyone runs out of the popular target bullets. It really bites two weeks before the state championship and 6 weeks before the nationals to discover that you don't have enough bullets and you can't find any anywhere - DOH! </span>

Spotting scope: get a good one, with a stable stand. This is a wind reading game, and reading mirage is a huge part of it. The wind drift on 308s is huge. <span style="font-weight: bold">One MPH of full value wind will cost you a point!</span> Think about that and then look at the winners scores. There is no golden bullet, no super rifle that will shoot through it. You have to learn to see it in the flags and the mirage.

Search this forum for an equipment list. There is a bunch of stuff you'll want, <span style="font-weight: bold">Empty Chamber Indicators</span>, shooting mat (forget it and your shooting on the mats from your truck - how do I know that?), chair, water, sun screen, etc...

2nd what was said above the little thing will eat your cash up
rst,rear bag,shooting mat, for me i use a timer when on the line to pace myself (i tend to shoot fast) spotting scope ,spotting scope stand,...if your just getting into reloading dont skimp on a press,powder measurer scale (as said before you may have to pushh the edge on pressure to get your load right and you dont want to have your loads +/- a tenth or 2),good gun case or drag bag (no need to spend the cash and beat the crap out of your rig transporting it).

Powder... Buy it in 8lb kegs, two at a time. It sucks to have to change lot numbers two weeks before the Nationals.

Again a chrono will be your best friend.

I really appreciate all the information. It looks like by the time all buy everything I'm going to be right at my budget.

The reason I need a rangefinder is this guy will pull double duty assassinating prairie dogs at long range.

I'm going a different route. I bought a Rem 700 adl varmint in .308 from Dick's. I'm mounting a Redfield revenge 6-18X40 on it via Leupold dual dovetail turn in rings. I plan on entering a FTR match with this set-up and see how I like it. I have experience with shooting out to 1200m so I'm hoping my skills will at least beat several of the folks who have thousands of dollars invested in their rifles versus my $678

go to King`s Armory..... Richard King builds good guns and will build a competitive rifle for you.... he`s also in Texas,....
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going a different route. I bought a Rem 700 adl varmint in .308 from Dick's. I'm mounting a Redfield revenge 6-18X40 on it via Leupold dual dovetail turn in rings. I plan on entering a FTR match with this set-up and see how I like it. I have experience with shooting out to 1200m so I'm hoping my skills will at least beat several of the folks who have thousands of dollars invested in their rifles versus my $678</div></div>

Your might want to reconsider that scope and mounting set up. That scope has 36 MOA of internal adjustment, you will run out of elevation adjustment before you get to 1,000 yards. Buy a new scope with more adjustment, a sloped base, or both

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going a different route. I bought a Rem 700 adl varmint in .308 from Dick's. I'm mounting a Redfield revenge 6-18X40 on it via Leupold dual dovetail turn in rings. I plan on entering a FTR match with this set-up and see how I like it. I have experience with shooting out to 1200m so I'm hoping my skills will at least beat several of the folks who have thousands of dollars invested in their rifles versus my $678</div></div>

Your might want to reconsider that scope and mounting set up. That scope has 36 MOA of internal adjustment, you will run out of elevation adjustment before you get to 1,000 yards. Buy a new scope with more adjustment, a sloped base, or both </div></div>
I shimmed it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going a different route. I bought a Rem 700 adl varmint in .308 from Dick's. I'm mounting a Redfield revenge 6-18X40 on it via Leupold dual dovetail turn in rings. I plan on entering a FTR match with this set-up and see how I like it. I have experience with shooting out to 1200m so I'm hoping my skills will at least beat several of the folks who have thousands of dollars invested in their rifles versus my $678</div></div>

Your might want to reconsider that scope and mounting set up. That scope has 36 MOA of internal adjustment, you will run out of elevation adjustment before you get to 1,000 yards. Buy a new scope with more adjustment, a sloped base, or both </div></div>
I shimmed it</div></div>

Good to go. I see you're in NC. FYI, there is a mid-range 600 yard match at Camp Lejuene this weekend. PM me if you need details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: insight3b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going a different route. I bought a Rem 700 adl varmint in .308 from Dick's. I'm mounting a Redfield revenge 6-18X40 on it via Leupold dual dovetail turn in rings. I plan on entering a FTR match with this set-up and see how I like it. I have experience with shooting out to 1200m so I'm hoping my skills will at least beat several of the folks who have thousands of dollars invested in their rifles versus my $678</div></div>

I have this scope on my Sig 516. I've only used it at 100 yards so far but the reticle seems too thick for 1000 yard use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be a great setup if he's going to shoot 155s. </div></div>

I understand about the heavies....but where has all the love gone for the Lapua 155's...