• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Choice

pcrage

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Hey guys quick question:

Looking at a rifle for some hunts out west (mulie/elk) over the next couple years. Need a .30-06 in my stable and was considering the following in that caliber:

Kimber Montana
Cooper Excalibur
Sako synthetic or Finnlite

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much..... Pete

Re: Rifle Choice

i really like my savage 111f in -06

didnt pay an arm OR a leg, and it shoots great

A friend of mine has a Tikka T-3 in 30-06 that he really likes. I have one in .243, great rifle for the price.

IMHO, a fine piece of craftsmanship is a treasure and can be tailored to fit very nicely. By the same token, I cringe at the thought of taking something like that out and subjecting it to the vagaries and abuses that are likely to occur in a serious hunt. Its a matter of priorities for me.

Priorities of the hunt, for me, have nothing to do with aesthetics. They are about utility and reliability. I don't have to spend one penny for aesthetics to achieve that, and in many ways, the expendable implement is preferable.

For me, the mass market hunting firearm serves that market quite well, and economy holds no major functional drawback.

I could take my game very efficiently with a Rem 770 .30-'06, and feel no pangs over the dings and damages that Ma Nature disposes with dismal regularity.

Money well spent and not missed.

As it happens, my hunting firearms are family heirlooms and far pre-date the 710 and 770 that followed it. They consist of Winchester post-64 M70 .30-'06, and Ruger MKI .30-'06 and .280's, including a relatively rare .280 Varmint. I treat them with rather more respect, care, and hesitation than I would a 770, and maybe that's the point. I wouldn't need to worry about leaving a treasured legacy to the succeeding generations every time I'd be taking one out.

Greg

wife and i are going to africa for our 10th anniversary (it's still a ways off yet). she doesn't know it yet, but i have a czech mauser in the safe (she's of the same origin) that will be getting a 7x57 barrel, rear peep, and a nice hunk of walnut with some great figure.

likewise, i'll be doing a pre-64 m70 in '06 with same nice hunk of walnut.

both will be very nice-looking sticks indeed, and both will likely get gouged/scratched/character marks on the hunt. it's inevitable. but the only travesty that can befall a rifle is to not be used for its intended purpose. i don't think Mr. Mauser intended for his design to sit in a dark safe or vault with all atmospheric conditions strictly controlled. he meant for it to be used, and dammit that's what i'm gonna do.

sue me.

grin.gif

With those rifles its just about got to be a matter of personal preference, quality like that will get the job done.

I'm with AF on the use it or not. The more I invest the more I expect to enjoy and I have to use to enjoy. No safe queens no matter how pretty.

okie

Frankly, I'd go browse the local gun shops and find a solid used '06. I got a Rem700 in 7mmRM in a synthetic stock for about $350. I took the cash I saved and got some better glass. Most of the time those rifles were safe queens anyway and you've got a solid rifle for half of the cost.